Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • andri
    • Mar 2012

If you could find out what size jets you'r carb has, it might help us get on track.
    Just remove the bowl and read the jets. A good opportunity to see if they are clogged.

We need to get to the bottom of this issue

Comment

• hedcase
      • Oct 2009

Alright, took the carb off the bike, and removed the intake manifold and seals. The int. jet is a .0295, and the main jet is a .066. Arisaka- I didn't see any o-ring on the int. jet. I also removed the inline EMGO fuel filter as the petcock has one built in - good call Motorradfahrer If these jets are proper, I'm going to try putting it back together and dial the carb in via the S&S tutorial.

The intake seals, upon inspection look fine. The rubber still feels cushy and fresh but there could have still been a leak regardless and I'm going to replace these anyway. Below is a shot of the carb parts, seals and jets. Also a shot of the exhaust. I'm not sure what brand the exhaust is, but upon inspection of the baffles, it looks like there's a wadded up newspaper in there of metal mesh! Oh, gotta love these old bikes.

Comment

• andri
        • Mar 2012

Well that jetting sure does not sound lean.

Here's a chart of jetting guidlines for different carbs/engine sizes:

Are the jets clogged by any chance?

Comment

• Shacknasty
          • Jul 2010

You've gotten a lot of great advice. Follow the consensus of a good tune-up: pushrod adjustment, verify fuel flow, timing, seal up intake and exhaust, etc. Check out this guide when it's time to tune yer carb...

Don't know if you've seen this video on pushrod adjustment...

In this video I show how I adjust the valve tappets on my Ironhead Sportster.Be sure to get the factory parts and service manuals for your bike.

Just for comparison, I run a 66 and a 265 on my '82 Ironhead and it runs a little rich here close to sea level. The best way to verify intake seals is to make a block-off plate with an air fitting that is bolted to the manifold in place of the carb. (I made one out of an old plastic cutting board.) Close both intake valves. Apply 5 to 10 psi, spray with soapy water and watch for bubbles.

Comment

• bikesandshit
            • May 2013

Can someone that is good with wiring help me? I need help with starter and starter realy?

Comment

• JohnnyBGoode
              • May 2011

I'd go with a pushrod adjustment, points, but what's with the phillips screw driver intake clamp bolts? man you need threaded with the 3/8 nut on it to drive it down on it! Can't crank on a screwdriver as hard. Do your heads have the oring slot around the intake? I see your intake manifold doesn't have it, I never had much luck with just bands on mine, I run bands and o rings.. clamps nice.

Comment

• xllance
                • Apr 2024

Originally posted by bikesandshit
                Can someone that is good with wiring help me? I need help with starter and starter realy?
                You need to start your own thread.

Comment

• xllance
                  • Apr 2024

Originally posted by JohnnyBGoode
                  I'd go with a pushrod adjustment, points, but what's with the phillips screw driver intake clamp bolts? man you need threaded with the 3/8 nut on it to drive it down on it! Can't crank on a screwdriver as hard. Do your heads have the oring slot around the intake? I see your intake manifold doesn't have it, I never had much luck with just bands on mine, I run bands and o rings.. clamps nice.
                  Johnny you mean you run the O-rings under the rubber bands ? I've never tried that. But yeah that clamp and rubber band combo looks like trouble. I prefer the O-rings with a coating of RTV then the two piece clamps.

Comment

• hedcase
                    • Oct 2009

Thanks for all of the help guys! I've got an intake seal kit coming, new condenser and points and will adjust timing, pushrods and give the carb a good cleaning. If I have to resurrect this thread from the dead... you'll know it didn't work! Thanks again.

Comment

• JohnnyBGoode
                      • May 2011

Well post back with results for sure, I had a condenser take a shit on me once, popped and farted all the way home, but I still got there.

Comment

• JohnnyBGoode
                        • May 2011

Originally posted by xllance
                        Johnny you mean you run the O-rings under the rubber bands ? I've never tried that. But yeah that clamp and rubber band combo looks like trouble. I prefer the O-rings with a coating of RTV then the two piece clamps.
                        Yup, I fought intake leaks all the damn time, if I saw even a hint of white on one plug, even if it was dark I knew I had a leak, and those o rings and bands work great.. Make sure your heads are lined up with your intake good first, I measure a lot to ensure it's proper.

Comment

• FreeReign
                          • Jan 2012

dude wtf no update?
                          also have you tried hotter plugs?

Comment

• 53rigid
                            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by bikesandshit
                            might want to start your own thread and not hijack this one.... Plus, do a search for wiring diagrams. there are a shit ton of them out there....

Comment

• Gilhelm
                              • Aug 2014

Now my iron!

Hey guys! Now I own this 82 Ironehead..here's the story..

put 1,000 trouble free, awesome miles on her last summer.
                              This spring, she is back to shits ville! Runs best with enrich lever up, smoke, and bogs or dies when goosed.

I know my jets are good...what happened over winter?

Just cleaned and checked carb. Tried to check for intake leaks but that looks pretty good too... eep!

oh also, new plugs, wires, and ignition. New oil pressure switch (to fix a leak). All those items worked A+ last summer...
                              Last edited by Gilhelm; 03-21-2015, 5:25 PM. Reason: forgot this stuff...

Comment

• Stay24k
                                • Jan 2013

What ignition are you running?

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;