2010 Sportster getting stuck in 4th & 5th occasionally.

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 8iron8man3
    • Sep 2010

2010 Sportster getting stuck in 4th & 5th occasionally.

Searched the forums and didn't see anything like this, so I'll just ask. Went out for a ride after finally updating my tags and shit. Occasionally, when coming to a stop, I'll just hold the clutch in, and click down the gears while I just use full brake braking. Sometimes, pulling from the light, it'll bog and I'll still be in a higher gear. My clunking down on the shifter is apparently not shifting the bike down at all.
    To get going again, i have to let the clutch out and back in and it'll finally let go of whatever gear it's stuck in. Do I just need to adjust the clutch or do I have a more serious problem?
  • imthadrummer
    • Apr 2012

Down shift one gear at a time while you're braking, and let the clutch out. It uses the engine to help slow the bike and helps the trans shift down all the way.

Comment

• 8iron8man3
      • Sep 2010

I suppose I asked for that.

Comment

• imthadrummer
        • Apr 2012

No really, the bike likes to be moving when shifting up or down. It helps the each gear engage.

Comment

• blackjx
          • Dec 2012

You might have screwed up springs on your shifter mech. Pop the primary cover off and have a look. I've also seen the clip that holds the cam follower fall off. Hopefully it's not inside the trans itself.

Comment

• Shrugsmoto1
            • Feb 2013

that's just the way the bike works. The trans needs some input from the engine to fully shift into each gear. Shift down one gear at a time and use the engine for breaking. Saves your brakes and keeps everything working right.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;