CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
  1. #1
    bestillroy
    Guest

    Default Hex or 12 pt. Shovel Cylinder Head Bolts?

    Any preferences?... and Why?

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    492

    Default

    I use the tall Big Bore nuts from colony. The heads are 7/16 for better clearance and I can use one torque adapter for both the base nuts and the head bolts. Some like the 12 pt flange nuts from McMaster-Carr but I couldn't get an adapter on them without grinding it down and I've had modded adapters break on me.

    Edit: Damn, I just re-read your post and saw that you asked about Head bolts. Duh... forgive me, I was still half asleep.
    Last edited by Motocrash; 05-03-2013 at 4:06 PM.

  3. #3
    bestillroy
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Motocrash View Post
    I use the tall Big Bore nuts from colony. The heads are 7/16 for better clearance and I can use one torque adapter for both the base nuts and the head bolts. Some like the 12 pt flange nuts from McMaster-Carr but I couldn't get an adapter on them without grinding it down and I've had modded adapters break on me.

    Edit: Damn, I just re-read your post and saw that you asked about Head bolts. Duh... forgive me, I was still half asleep.
    So what are you talkin' about... Base Nuts?
    AnyWho...
    I settled for the Black Oxide 12 Pointers and a new Avon tyre.
    Thanks

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    763

    Default

    Twelve point. More surface area for yer socket to grab onto. Just that simple...

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    154

    Default

    I like the allen head bolts , seems easier to tighten them to me

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bestillroy View Post
    So what are you talkin' about... Base Nuts?
    AnyWho...
    I settled for the Black Oxide 12 Pointers and a new Avon tyre.
    Thanks
    Yeh... Duh...

    I have the 12 point black ox head bolts also. The torque adapter I have is 12 point and I feel more warm and fuzzy putting 60+ ftlbs of torque on those 12pts. And, I can use the same torque adapter on my big bore base nuts.

  7. #7
    bestillroy
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Motocrash View Post
    Yeh... Duh...

    I have the 12 point black ox head bolts also. The torque adapter I have is 12 point and I feel more warm and fuzzy putting 60+ ftlbs of torque on those 12pts. And, I can use the same torque adapter on my big bore base nuts.
    Cool. I opted for the 12 pointers too because they were the choice of my buddy helping me assemble the fresh Top End. We both agreed on the surface area of the 12 point head being a better thing...
    Can you post a pic of your torque adapter?
    Thanks.

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in