CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 2 12 Last

Thread: Greasebag 2010

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Greasebag 2010

In the back of my mind, I always knew it was only a matter of time. For the past 3 years we've been running the Greasebag Jamboree during Laconia under the radar. It's always been a grass roots thing that we've organized as tightly as possible while making sure it didn't get so regulated that it would lose it's sense of identity. The greasebag was never meant to be some big rock star bike event - it was raw, rough around the edges and a flat out good time. Every year it got better - better bikes, more people hanging out talking shop - something the home builder could look forward to in a sea of leather chaps and chrome doodads. Last year's greasebag killed it, everyone had a blast, so many cool bikes and the biggest crowd so far. It should come as no surprise that the town of Laconia now wants to stick the finger into the pot. We did our best to stay under the radar, but as it's popularity grew, so did the attention. It's pointless to get into all the specifics, but here's the basics

The city of Laconia wants us to get permits for everything - vendors, food, ect..., they want us to hire cops to be at the show... they want to regulate and they want their piece of the pie. If you know the spirit of the greasebag, then you can imagine my immediate response. While I'm willing to work hard and deal with difficult situations in order to pull off something I love doing, there are core principals that I'm just not willing to bend on.

The greasebag was to setup to be a free show - for anyone who attended AND for vendors. The vibe was close knit, laid back and free. Attitudes checked at the door, but controlled stupidity encouraged. The show was about us, not them.

With rules and regulations, all those things start to change. The spirit of the show changes, it loses some of that grassroots, D.I.Y feel. I have nothing against the city, they're just doing what they're there to do. They've got their regulations in place and if they catch you playing on their field, they're going to enforce the rules. Every city has to find opportunities to make money to pay for the "services" they offer their constituents - Laconia obviously knows what their cash cow is. Fair enough - I get it, you gotta pay to play. Unfortunately, I can't go against the principals the show was built on and feel good about it. I'd rather not do it at all.

To have cops on the scene to make sure everyone stays in line doesn't sit well with me. To have to grease the palms of the city doesn't sit well with me either. This show was never about money, it was about our community. I made enough to cover the expenses by raffling off donations and that was good enough for me. The generosity of Acme Choppers (by donating the space), our sponsors (by donating swag and sponsoring trophies) and everyone who bought a raffle ticket allowed me the opportunity to break even, and that's all I ever wanted to do. The dynamic of the show was on the right track and I'd rather not change that by introducing a regulatory element.

Simply put - there won't be a Greasebag this year during Laconia and it's unlikely that there will ever be another greasebag during Laconia Bike Week.

So is the Greasebag dead? Not quite.
    The truth is the Laconia scene was never really ideal for the greasebag to begin with. We took advantage of an opportunity and there was a certain pleasure in going against grain of the traditional bike week tomfoolery but that whole scene was not really for us. So while we'll migrate from bike week, we're far from dead. The big question is where and how we'll drop down next. I don't have an answer to that question. We may do a similar type of event later in the summer or maybe the show will morph into something else entirely, whether it be a run or taking over a dive bar. I'm not sure where the greasebag is going, but this is not the last you've heard of it. I've got some ideas rolling around, and if you've got some, I'd love to hear them. So whether it's this year or next year, don't worry - this is not the last you've heard from the greasebag jamboree.
    Last edited by Knucklebuster; 03-05-2010 at 10:52 AM.

billdozer

Good luck Grail, whatever you decide to do. Events are a chore but a very rewarding one. I sure hope the GB lives on in one form or another.

Get Adobe Flash player

Glad to hear you're sticking to your guns. I look forward to seeing where you take it.

MadRiverMoCo

No good deed goes unpunished...

Whatever you need to phoenix this the-man-messed-with-my-show moment, we can make it happen...

MadRiverMoCo

Halwade

RIP GB Jamboree...

Long Live Greasebag Jamboree

Keep is posted, Grail.

Get Adobe Flash player

that sucks man but you know as well as i do that it was only a matter of time before BIG BROTHER put their grubby paws into it to get their piece! heaven forbid anyone have good clean fun

Get Adobe Flash player

Some cities have loop holes for charity events. I don't know the laws in your neck of the woods, but maybe you could hook up with a local youth shelter or soup kitchen and have the "entrance fee" be a donation to the cause. Then it could be open ended for the "entrance fee", like having everyone bring a canned good, or even donate a lousy buck to get in. I believe in Denver you could get away with this, just the vendors need to be linked to a charity also. Hell maybe you could start your own charity for the troops, under privileged, almost anything. Then rather than it being a sanctioned party or rally, it is a fund raiser, which may get you out of having to have the po-po's there too along with lining the city's pockets. Again, you'd have to dig into your local laws and see, but it might be worth checking out, and you would also be helping your community. That's good PR for Acme. Just a idea.

Get Adobe Flash player

Grail, This sucks. I agree with your attitude to keep it about the spirit of our type of "bikers". Not being a "pay to play" type of guy myself I feel your pain. Yeah, I have to play the game from time to time to get by in their world but I don't like it. I definitely don't like when they want to take thousands of dollars from you to have the show when you are doing it to do it, not to profit. Your event has obviously stolen some of the thunder from somebody else's event. Doing it as a fund raiser for a local charity would really put the city at odds to fight that and could be a way to keep things going. But walking out on bike week and finding another time and place to do it would also be making a statement. You'd be saying: "Keep your bagger old men and fat tit old ladies. We're gonna hang over there and start something of our own. And when the oldies die, you'll have no more bike week to pay your bills for you cause you forced us out so fuck off". Probably won't really happen that way but hey it sounds bad ass. I don't know man, I'm just babbling here. It just sucks and I wanted you to know it saddens me. You know I'm down to help out again if you make it happen.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good luck Grail. Count me in for vendor support for whatever you decide to do.

Get Adobe Flash player

Grail that sucks the big one. Leave it to the asshats that run the chrome spectacle they call bike weak (not misspelled) to fuck it up. I hope you are able to find another time/place whatever because it was definitely the only reason to go anywhere near Laconia during that week. What's that another six hour run in the rain to Matt's house? OK when.

MadRiverMoCo

Party at my house?

That actually has a ring to it...

NHMike

This was the only reason I was looking forward to bike week this year....damnit.

Get Adobe Flash player

Tell me where and when and I will hang with New Englands Finest. Tim

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MadRiverMoCo View Post
    Party at my house?

That actually has a ring to it...
    Matt I want to get back up there but without the pouring rain and mud highway. Tell your little lady I said hi.

MadRiverMoCo

D.
    You're always welcome. Ace don't want me riding until the little one arrives so I'm tearing the X apart as we speak. - actually it's 1:30 so I'm quittng - but after the first week of May, the mountains of Vermont won't stand a chance

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by gigastatt View Post
    Tell me where and when and I will hang with New Englands Finest. Tim
    Man you hang with the finest can ya hang with a scooter scum like myself...Pretty Please..hehehe.

Where eva it is man ill be there to participate in the festivities

MadRiverMoCo

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MadRiverMoCo View Post
    D.
    You're always welcome. Ace don't want me riding until the little one arrives so I'm tearing the X apart as we speak. - actually it's 1:30 so I'm quittng - but after the first week of May, the mountains of Vermont won't stand a chance
    Hey I had no idea congrats on the little one to both of you.

MadRiverMoCo

There's a reason to go on the Gypsy Run

It's where babies happen

Share This