Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rockeedavid
    • Apr 2013

Zenith carb on 1979 Ironhead

So i have a zenith carb on my 1979 ironhead and its prebendix because it isnt stamped on it numbers are 13859 and its stamped andpro underneath the numbers and my question is that there is no choke the spots for the mounts are cast but they were never drilled out at the factory and they havent been filled either i checked and rechecked and cleaned and checked again so im wondering if this is some sort of racing carb or is it supposed to be like that on some models i have asked a few people and they say they have never seen such a thing....so i suppose i am wondering what i have on my hands here....because i want to kick it out into the woods at this point.....any and all comments welcome i just need some info because i cannot find any....thank you guys
  • Stadger
    • Jan 2012

It's my understanding that Bendix came first and then became Zenith. The only info I can find about your carb is that it is nothing special.

Comment

• rockeedavid
      • Apr 2013

The carb is on what I want to be a daily driver and I know a choke would make it start easier I just don't understand why it isn't there and I don't know what year the carb is either from what I gathered its a 38mm so a rebuild kit for a 38 should work in theory

Comment

• ironheadd79
        • May 2010

S&S super E...
        I LOVE my '79 but good luck with that daily driver thing.After YEARS of driving mine it now has an ALLBALLS starter (prestolites are shit), Alternator conversion (generators are shit), and a Hydroclutch7184 (the ramp and ball system is shit)...not to mention the endless upgrades to things like pistons, con-rods,cams etc. etc. etc. the list goes on and on! They are fantastic bikes to ride but are not the most reliable on the road, or in the garage as it were. Get used to seeing 'fits all models except seventynine' or "FAMES" also when looking for parts, we have the great distinction of owning one of H-D's only and truly, bastard children. You will get proficient in making parts fit your needs and become very familiar with all the ins and outs of your bike.

That all being said do yourself a favor and get an S&S E, super easy to tune and parts are readily available all the time. Just a week or so ago in the classified section here one sold for under a hundred with the teardrop included!

Comment

• rockeedavid
          • Apr 2013

Yea I'm familiar with the fits all but 79 hahah such a pain and I've made quite a few different parts for it it's just the junk ass carb and yea my whole electrical system is switched back to regulated needless to say there has been a lot of surprises with this bike but I paid the right price for it at the time....and yea I still love that bastard child of a scoot haha

Comment

• Sky
            • Aug 2009

Run a V-stack, leave your gloves in while kicking, viola, easy choke!
            JK

Comment

• ironheadd79
              • May 2010

I'll never get rid of mine that is for sure. My best friend recently said to me when I told him what I was doing to her over the winter, "Damn dude you are going to have the only $20k Ironhead"! ...I replied...'I already do it just doesn't look like it'....lol...

Comment

• rockeedavid
                • Apr 2013

Man I paid 680 for a running stopping perfectly working 79 I found on Craigslist and as of now total I'm up to almost 1500 bike included haha I love it it simple it sounds good I just need a carb and for it to stop testing me haha but I have cut my teeth on this bike and its been a welcomed test but it gets me when it's something as simple as a bad accel pump an no choke on this zenith lol fucking zenith.....

Comment

• ironheadd79
                  • May 2010

Trust me if you keep it any length of time at all, you ain't done with putting money into it and it isn't done testing you. They have way of breaking down just sitting there! Two hours of riding time equals one hour or more of wrenching time. That is why I replaced every weak link these bikes have with new twentieth century technology. The charging system is the worst. hence the alt/conversion...well worth it for sure. Costs just a little more than a new generator and I had bought maybe 8-10 over the years! I had burnt many many starters out one time in one start, that was the last time with the prestolites...paid the bucks for the allballs 1.4kw starter and have never had a problem again with that area, the clutch system is a pain in the ass and is the most unreliable and hardest to adjust out there, enter the Hydraulic clutch system...paid the money and after some tweaks and the first one being a bad unit, I can roll up and come to a complete stop, and just CLICK it into neutral...that will never happen with the ramp and ball unit. After all that she still gets me sometimes but it's been little things and not the every year recurring charging system/clutch rebuild shit! sometimes two to three times a year...

If you ask me I think that anybody that wants to buy a H-D should be required to own one of these for a few years first, if they did there would be a whole lot less idiots and wannabes out there.It is by far the best training for motorcycle upkeep there is...just this side of an old Triumph or BSA.

Comment

• bbillington
                    • Sep 2012

If you're on a budget and want a sure thing, a Keihin carb is cheap. I have a bunch of them sitting here if you want one. One I just pulled off a running, one kick bike about two weeks ago. Not trying to sell you anything, just saying... they're 40$ at a swap and could save you some headaches.

Comment

• JohnnyBGoode
                      • May 2011

Generators are shit? Since when? Rebuild it properly! Mine's still ticking, I've only replaced the brushes.

Ball and ramp sucks? That's weird, mine works perfect with proper adjustment, and is easy to pull.

2 hours of wrenching for 1 hour of riding? You're doing something wrong.

"All balls starter?" What's wrong with your leg?

Mine's a daily rider, and it's mostly all stock parts.

But I will agree on the S&S E, it's a nice carb.

Comment

• xllance
                        • Apr 2024

Originally posted by JohnnyBGoode
                        Generators are shit? Since when? Rebuild it properly! Mine's still ticking, I've only replaced the brushes.

Ball and ramp sucks? That's weird, mine works perfect with proper adjustment, and is easy to pull.

2 hours of wrenching for 1 hour of riding? You're doing something wrong.

"All balls starter?" What's wrong with your leg?

Mine's a daily rider, and it's mostly all stock parts.

But I will agree on the S&S E, it's a nice carb.
                        I love you Johhny !!

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

Say "yes" to the Keihin. You can add the accelerator pump plate with the "check ball" if not already installed. You can also turn the accel pump nozzle to aim dead center down the carb throat.

If you find it a bit lean you could go up one number drill size on the low speed jet. I just hold the drill bit in a pair of visegrips then spin the jet between thumb and forefinger.

Give the Zenith to someone you don't like.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                          Working...
                          ;