• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ExplodingCoffinEmporium
    • Oct 2016

Originally posted by SteveJ
    lol
    you typed alla that!?
    I would have had the carb apart and set up to rip in the time it took to type alla that.
    lol
    Your making it harder than necessary , and I dont think this is the way to get the bike tuned.
    Good luck with it!
    Who knows the dude who might stumble upon it in the future and need that advice, knowledge sharing is always a good thing. Thanks for the type up Doom.

Comment

• SteveJ
      • Mar 2022

Originally posted by DoomBuggy
      Cut and paste
      yes
      and it all has little bearing other than reading material.
      getting on the fucking bike and seeing , hearing , and feeling the way the engine is working is what you will have to rely on in the end.
      the sooner you realize that the sooner you'll get the bike working properly

get the specific tool set for jet changes , some jets and get the fucker out on the road and do the changes on a safe stretch of pavement
      cuz
      alla this typing , copying , cut and paste aint getting the bike tuned
      lol
      best of luck trying to figure out what to do
      lol

Comment

• DoomBuggy
        • Oct 2016

OK back to a very basic setup pretty much like I had it before the wreck. Cocktail shakers with some strips of fiberglass in there, quieter than it was, but still sounds like a Harley. And the big ass Ham Can air cleaner. No mystery what is behind that sucker.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0352.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	313.0 KB
ID:	1322446

Took it for a short 2 mile ride, just about warmed up and she is running a lot better already. If my leg cooperates I will try get get a good ride in and warm her all the way up.

I've also figured out how to increase the fuel line size to 5/16, but don't want to go there unless I have to.
        Last edited by DoomBuggy; 05-19-2022, 1:42 PM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
          • Oct 2016

Managed to dodge rain drops and did 20 miles of low speed driving, all under 50 mph and mostly under 3000 rpm. Before I went out I ran the plugs through my little plug cleaner and blasted them clean. I think these plugs look pretty good, next step will be to do some high speed runs on the expressway.

Unfortunately it is hard to find a time of day to run out there without tons of cars, the Eisenhower Expressway is one of the busiest roads in the world and of course it is the only place around here where I can actually open her up. Maybe tomorrow! ( it's off to a Cubs game, the things I do for my wife...lol )

Name:	plugs.jpg
Size:	248.6 KB
ID:	1322449
          Last edited by DoomBuggy; 05-20-2022, 10:18 AM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
            • Oct 2016

Small update. Been off my feet for a couple of weeks now, seems that accident is the gift that keeps giving!

Anyhow I decided to open up to fuel line as that does not take much energy. The issue was the fitting on the gas tank was set up for 1/4" hard line. I wanted to open it up to 5/16" to give it a little more flow room.

I drilled out the nut for an 5/16" line. That leaves a bit of shoulder which should be plenty strong to support the weight of the tubing, no real flex there so we should be good to go.

Now I needed to take a little off the flange of the tubing. I used a 120 paper on a belt sander while rolling the tubing between my fingers. Once I got it down to size it still looks like it has a lot of meat right at the shoulder.

And the finished product, the petcock shoulder fits in there nice and snug and at least this is one less item to worry about. My only remaining concern on the fuel line is the actual shut-off seat area, that is definitely less than 5/16", still this should be a marked improvement in flow.

Last edited by DoomBuggy; 06-06-2022, 9:09 AM.

Comment

• DoomBuggy
              • Oct 2016

Got some test rides in over the last few days and we have a winning combo. First, thank you to everyone who contributed, it was all very helpful.

I used SteveJ's technique of going mega fat and then going down a size at a time until I had something that worked. I had good sub-3000rpm performance and as long as I rolled it on smoothly I had good over 3000rpm performance. However, if I was in say third gear at around 1500 rpm and then went full throttle, the bike would pull until 3000-3200 rpm and then sputter like it was really rich.

At this point I decided how bad could I fuck the carb up? So I decided to follow Jim's suggestion and pulled out the old pin vise, and small drill index and went to work on the main jet air breather ( is that what it's called?). It's the port which tells the main jet when to start adding fuel.

Name:	IMG_2743.JPG
Size:	148.0 KB
ID:	1322495 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2744.JPG
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	1322496

It was right at .040" and so I began SLOWLY increasing it's size and then test riding it. At .045" I noticed the point where the engine started breaking up moved up the rpms. At .050" the breakup was almost gone, and at .053" it is gone completely.

At this point I went one step fatter on my intermediate circuit to a .295 and readjusted everything. I wound up back at .070 for the main. This seems to be the right combo at this point in time. As the top end breaks in I am sure it will benefit from further adjustment.

The bike runs like a raped ape, I am so freaking happy, lol. Again many thanks to the group
              Last edited by DoomBuggy; 06-10-2022, 1:00 PM.

Comment

• SteveJ
                • Mar 2022

Good work!
                And now you understand the carb a lot more.
                The next step in the learning curve would be to plug that air bleed you have drilled out and put in a jet as I did on my SAT thread.
                This will allow a larger intermediate jet , using that fuel circuit a little more before the main kicks in.
                But I think you have gotten to where you need to be.

Comment

• Dragstews
                  • Sep 2010

Originally posted by DoomBuggy

The bike runs like a raped ape, I am so freaking happy, lol.
                  ... /// https://youtu.be/_gRpyAGCsiw \\\ ...
                  Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• DoomBuggy
                    • Oct 2016

Snoop is the d o g g

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;