Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jerico83
    • Apr 2013

Rubber mounted Sportster?

Hey Guys I am new in Chop Cult and had a question. I'm thinking about buying a sportster 1200 and I have found a few 04 05 and older (i like the use of the carb so I'm staying with pre 06 since they went EFI in 07). My question is should i buy a rubber mounted sportster or a older model? I heard that the pre rubber mounted models vibrate a lot at higher speeds. Any feedback will be helpful!
    Thank you.
  • Evidence
    • Sep 2012

Depends on what you want to do, if youre going to hard tail it then go 03 or older. If youre going to build a softie and want to ride long distances, then go rubber mount...there are plenty of parts for both, but there are way more options for rigid in the 03 and older, since they are hard mounted.

Ive got a 2000 with a weld on hard tail, and I dont feel like it vibrates too much on the highway. You can feel it throughout the whole bike more than you can on a rubber mount, but its not a lot and I cant imagine it being a deal breaker by any means.

Comment

• bwesky
      • Oct 2012

Rubber mount checking In. all my buddies have 03 and older. I love my bike, just know parts are not as easy to find add the older bikes. Just wait until you find a good deal. And get something you like. I waited months for mine And found a rocking deal in the dead of winter

sent from my galaxy s3 via tapatalk

Comment

• mrcoffee
        • Aug 2011

Rubbermounts aren't bad, but as has been said, it depends what you want to do. I love mine, but had I known two years ago all that I know now, I would have looked for a good deal on a late rigid mount carby...

-m

Comment

• shitbike
          • Aug 2011

Originally posted by mrcoffee
          Rubbermounts aren't bad, but as has been said, it depends what you want to do. I love mine, but had I known two years ago all that I know now, I would have looked for a good deal on a late rigid mount carby...

-m
          I'm in the exact same boat. It doesnt feel all that much less vibratory than my buddies' older ones either.

Comment

• SinisterSon
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by jerico83
            Hey Guys I am new in Chop Cult and had a question. I'm thinking about buying a sportster 1200 and I have found a few 04 05 and older (i like the use of the carb so I'm staying with pre 06 since they went EFI in 07). My question is should i buy a rubber mounted sportster or a older model? I heard that the pre rubber mounted models vibrate a lot at higher speeds. Any feedback will be helpful!
            Thank you.
            I have a 2010 that I'm currently hardtailing... (you can search for the thread using my name).

I find that there's plenty out there for modding, but obviously not as much as 03 and older. It's all about your skillset and what you want in the bike. I love my EFI, since mine is tuned, and I can switch it up with a laptop and USB cord... I also love the no-choke, crank it up in the dead of cold and take off while waiting on buddies' carbed bikes to warm up. Obviously there are alternatives and ways around most of the cons I list, and this is my opinion. I'm not trying to offend anyone. I love my carbed bikes as well, but they aren't daily driven. It's difficult to work on a bike that has 1000 wires when a problem arises, as opposed to a carb with simple hand tools in a parking lot.

In summary, I vote for my EFI rubbermount. I wouldn't trade it for a nicer or similar quality pre-04...

Comment

• jerico83
              • Apr 2013

Thanks for the replies guys i really appreciate it!. Yeah I would like to hard tail it eventually. I found a 97 with 19k miles and the price isn't bad either. I think I'm gonna go with that one instead. 97 isn't a bad year is it?

Comment

• thathinchguy
                • Sep 2010

This ones a rubber mount.

photo IMAG3321_zpsc5e79a4b.jpg

Comment

• MrDontPlay
                  • Mar 2013

I have an 06. I like it but if I could go back I'd probably get an 03 or older. If you have fab skills it doesn't make much of a difference.

Comment

• jerico83
                    • Apr 2013

thathinchguy: She's pretty and good job!

Comment

• ehester88
                      • Oct 2012

A rubber mount can look good with allot of time, good taste and skill like the one above. The no top motor mount look is definately different when you start stripping it down and chopping it. I would go pre 04 hands down tho. The older the better in my opinion, solid mount and vibrations are all part of chopping.

Comment

• TB
                        • Jan 2013

My '09 Nightster after plugging away today. It's a LedSled HT with 0 stretch.

Comment

• TM1984
                          • Oct 2012

I like the vibes I get from my '03. Makes it feel more "authentic" or raw to me. It'll only get to me after I hit 3-4 hours of riding nonstop. But even still, she glides at around 70mph real smooth.
                          From what I hear the rubbermount isn't much of an improvement anyway.
                          But like others said, get what you want.

Comment

• Wiscompton
                            • Oct 2012

I actually just got done building a rubber mounted sporty hard tail. My buddy built a solid mount hard tail at the same time. We worked together, so it was only propper that we swapped bikes mid maiden voyage. I can vouch for the fact that there is a great deal less motor vibration in the rubber mount. Not having that top motor mount and getting that wide open space above your motor, between the back bone, is killer. And the ride is considerably smoother. Even though I have an older dumpier seat. Slightly bigger head ache, but worth it. In my opinion. Plus, you can bet your motor have fewer miles on it, meaning the previous owner had less time to tear it up.

Comment

• lostwire
                              • Jun 2012

Here's another example of a rubber-mount: it's an '04 I'm working on with a 2" stretch Led Sled tail.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;