CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Powdercoat VS. Paint

Well long story short..... I'm building a basket fxr and just got the motor and trans squared away and ready to install. I've decided might as well do all the small things little paint, bearings, hoses, wiring etc, that I can think of while it's torn down so hence my debate. Looking to paint or powder the frame, lower legs, trees, swing arm, and several small pieces on the bike. I've read some debates on powder vs. paint but my question is, do some parts really need powder over paint for longevity, or does it really come down to preference. My biggest problem is if I mix between the two, getting the colors to match. The majority of everything will be gloss black besides tins and chrome accents. Just figured I'd ask some opinions, I know yall got a few for me to help me decide. Thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

I powdercoat everything I can way more durable and the more you have done at once is cheaper .

Get Adobe Flash player

I have a little powder set up in my garage and powder most parts. Wouldn't do frame though. If you decide to cut off a bracket or weld something on down the road, you can't just touch up powder. Gotta go all the way down to the frame and re coat it.

Get Adobe Flash player

we should have a powder party at your house soon lol

Get Adobe Flash player

I have used Epoxy rattle can paint for over 20 years on my dirt bike frames. I think its damn close to being as hard as powder coat and wears really well. That being said I am about to do my Superglide frame and am on the fence also.

xllance

Quote Originally Posted by vnygra View Post
    I have a little powder set up in my garage and powder most parts. Wouldn't do frame though. If you decide to cut off a bracket or weld something on down the road, you can't just touch up powder. Gotta go all the way down to the frame and re coat it.
    This right here^^^^^^^

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by bobbed06 View Post
    I have used Epoxy rattle can paint for over 20 years on my dirt bike frames. I think its damn close to being as hard as powder coat and wears really well. That being said I am about to do my Superglide frame and am on the fence also.
    I've tried the Appliance Epoxy in rattle cans 3 or 4 different times over the years and it always fisheyes on me. I've tried it over every kind of primer I can think of and even on bare metal. No joy. I know the stuff works, as I've seen it on other people's stuff, so i must be doing something wrong. Unless every can I ever bought was bad, but that seems pretty far-fetched. Any hints?

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeah I have to agree with ya.... That makes a lot of sense when you apply that point to the whole bike, Thanks

Get Adobe Flash player

I haven't had a chance to put it on yet, but I powdered my frame when I first got it a few years ago and I've changed so many things on it that I'm going to strip it all off and put this stuff on:
    http://www.eastwood.com/review/produ.../category/246/
    The make a primer that goes with it, and you can spray it or brush it. Hopefully it'll be tough, seems to get good reviews.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Nottso View Post
    I've tried the Appliance Epoxy in rattle cans 3 or 4 different times over the years and it always fisheyes on me. I've tried it over every kind of primer I can think of and even on bare metal. No joy. I know the stuff works, as I've seen it on other people's stuff, so i must be doing something wrong. Unless every can I ever bought was bad, but that seems pretty far-fetched. Any hints?
    Bumping this thread. I went way over budget on parts and am seriously considering using Black Appliance Epoxy on my frame. I dont have any hints for you Nottso other than I wipe down all of my dirt bike frames with rubbing alcohol after washing them with Power Clean and water, then air drying it. I also heat the appliance epoxy paint in water, I radar temp the water until it gets to around 120f. Then spray it.

My Super Glide project had really low miles, but unfortunately was never cleaned and probably sat outside for its entire 13 year life.

Do any of you guys have pics of Gloss Black Rattle Can Frames, bits and pieces for some inspiration? Please post type of paint and primer used if you do.

Get Adobe Flash player

Do any of you guys have pics of Gloss Black Rattle Can Frames, bits and pieces for some inspiration? Please post type of paint and primer used if you do.[/QUOTE]

This frame got shot with walmarts cheapest primer and black . Its been a year and holding up very well .
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 013.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

That looks great 1211!!

I found the PJ1 paint I used to use in a Gloss Black.

Keep the pics coming guys!! Post up those rattle canned items.

Get Adobe Flash player

Just got some gloss black rattle can from tractor supply. It's their own brand tractor paint. Stuff is the best I've found. Slow drying, but looks like powder coat.

Get Adobe Flash player

Do you have any pictures of the Tractor Supply paint cured on a frame? I'd like to see that.

Get Adobe Flash player

pics????

Get Adobe Flash player

Hammer finish Krylon is super durable. I had a frame painted with it for a few years and it took forever blasting and grinding it to get it off. I'll use that stuff again after the frame changes.

Get Adobe Flash player

I powdercoat all my frames and small parts. It's just easier and doesn't cost much. I almost never have to do any mods down the road. The few cases where I wound up changing a bike enough to require frame mods were cases where I was changing the whole bike around and it didn't really matter.

Get Adobe Flash player

i powder coated my old flathead bike and sprayed my shovelhead. i wish i never powder coated. spray it. it is cheaper easier to work with. it is better for the new buyer of the bike when you sell it down the road. let him waist his money on powder coat, you save your money and go drink beer with your riding buds or buy your sweet heart something nice or spend the money on parts that help your bike go faster. just my opinion

Get Adobe Flash player

I have parts I powder coated back in 85" still looking good. If your like me and you keep your rides for life, powder is the way togo.

Share This