Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • itrguy
    • Mar 2013

Springer question

Hey Fellas, I have an old narrow springer I want to chop down to 2 under to use on my 71 xs650 chop. My question is, how do i measure the springer? same as a regular front end? My XS front is like 21 3/4" from bottom of lower tree to the axle, the springer is like 34.5" from bottom of lower clamp/tree to axle. So do i just make it 22" from bottom of lower tree/clamp to axle or is it different because of the rockers??? Any help is appreciated!
  • itrguy
    • Mar 2013

Nobody?? I thought this was ChopCult???

Comment

• livingdeadmc
      • Apr 2024

Like a bad doctor... No patients.

Comment

• bobscogin
        • Jun 2011

Originally posted by itrguy
        Hey Fellas, I have an old narrow springer I want to chop down to 2 under to use on my 71 xs650 chop. My question is, how do i measure the springer?
        If you don't know how much to shorten it, then how do you know you want it "2 under". "2 under" what? Your info is meaningless. Install it on the bike, figure out what stance you want and do some measuring. Anything else is guess work.

Bob

Comment

• itrguy
          • Mar 2013

I want it the same size as my stock front end, which a 2 under dna is the perfect size.....

Comment

• sixball
            • Jan 2011

Different manufactures use different points of measure. I'm confused about the whole 2 under thing. If you want it to match an excisting frontend then you are copying the measurements of that frontend. So you would need to pick your point of measure and make them the same. Rockers are going to bring the axle height up, but it depends on the springer and the rockers you have. It could be miniamal and it could be an inch or so. Best thing is like suggested above: Mock it up and see where you want it. Measure the ammount of rocker travel you have and factor that it. Thats why the 2 under thing could turn into 2.25 under or 1.75 under. It's not about the "under" it's about how you want it to sit

Sixball

Comment

• speedandnoise
              • Jun 2010

No offense, but I feel like if you have to ask how to measure a springer, maybe shortening one is a little out of your reach. I agree on mocking it up without the wheel on there and getting the bike to sit where you want, and add a little to compensate for bike/ rider weight and spring sag. Make sure you're confident in your fab abilities though, your life depends on it.

Comment

• bobscogin
                • Jun 2011

Originally posted by itrguy
                I want it the same size as my stock front end, which a 2 under dna is the perfect size.....
                You already have a fork that's the length you want the other to be, and you can't go from there?

Bob

Comment

• JohnnyRainbow
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by bobscogin
                  You already have a fork that's the length you want the other to be, and you can't go from there?

Bob
                  Keep the right length springer and send me the long one.

Comment

• itrguy
                    • Mar 2013

I have the stock front end on the bike still, wanted the springer ready to go so i could just do a swap, not leave the bike apart.... un rideable. Im not doing the welding, all i have is a mig, so my buddy will bring it to the fab shop and Tig it for me. Sorry guys I was just trying to be lazy, thought somebody might have done it and could share.. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• itrguy
                      • Mar 2013

Took 11" off of it, internally slugged tubes then Tigged it.. just waiting on the axle to see how I want to make a brake stay to run my stock 71 xs 19" drum wheel
                      Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                      Working...
                      ;