Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnwesley
    • Sep 2012

sportster for the dirt

I am rebuilding the old dual sportster and making some tweaks along the way. here it is before the crash. It worked out very well and has been to the end of the road in InuviK NWT Canada and in Deadhorse, AK. I love the motor, and ended up ADVing around the nation for about two years before I had a major crash on it which destroyed the frame among other parts and I spent a few days in the hospital. So what we begin with here is a destroyed ADVsporter and a 95 XLH with a blown motor. I do not believe the rebuild will be anything like the old bike, but we'll see how it turns out. This time around funds are very limited so the build will be on a tight budget. Just as a refresher here are a few pics of the last version

dual sport mode

adventure mode

I was glad to find a complete bike just in case I needed some parts. When swapping a sport motor over you have to change wiring harness as well so after several hours I had the harness swapped. It needed several connectors repined as I was working with the 95 lights and controls.

I had to pull the blown motor out and now I have a spare in case I need parts or want to build a stroker

I have replaced the awful buck-horn handle bars and changed out the hideous seat, tossed the sissy bar and have done a little cut and weld on the exhaust. The thunder header I have been running is striaght and they do not offer one that is angled up at the muffler and I thought that they should, so I did it for them. Not much just enough to add some clearance and and style

just want to throw this pic in as she has made it in a few magazines not as an article just as a shot from a event I went to. Take what ya can get

I took the bike on a 400 mile test run to make sure the motor is still working well and my wiring holds up. All worked well and the engine is still in good shape last travel pic of it in a semi stock shape

. The rear of the bike has now been striped.

I cleaned up the extended swing arm and got it ready for mock up. I am looking at balancing this bike out from a suspension movement stand point and not focusing so much on maximum travel. So with that in mind I set out to get some swing arm angle numbers and playing with travel numbers from the shorter stroke.

here we are with the set up as I had it pre crash. We are at 18* angle at full extension. and 10.5" of travel

So the plan is to get the angle closer to 10* If I shorten the shock up 1" then I come up with a 12* angle at full extension. Not bad:deal

As you look deeper into the whole swing arm travel you will find a good balance of travel and I have it here. From full extension to full compression I end up with 12* of swing arm angle in both cases. That is as balanced as it gets. Now when I factor in the suspension sag I end up with 8* angle when riding and we have a great set up with no chain rub. with this I still have 8.75" of travel which is a respectable number and I have lowered the seat height 1.5" which is also good.
  • ibuiltmine
    • Jun 2010

awesome!!

Comment

• mlc216
      • Apr 2024

I've seen your dual sportster before and some pics of your riding some nasty stuff that you posted somewhere... can't wait to see what you do now! keep working and keep posting!

Comment

• ercle69
        • Dec 2010

what brand shocks are those?

Comment

• johnwesley
          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ercle69
          what brand shocks are those?
          Ohlins At7730 triple adjustable shocks. At present I have them at 17.5" but will be reducing them to 16.5" to get the swing arm angles right

Comment

• BurlyBrand
            • Jul 2011

So sick...

Comment

• johnwesley
              • Sep 2012

so got a little work done today and mounted the skid plate. Its just a KLR650 skid plate that I chopped and beat into shape to fit. I like the coverage of the front head pipe with this set up. I have been known to beat it over some ruff trails.

Skid plate:

A little shot of full drop and make compression with the rear 17" rim

The issue I never resolved with the last build was the tail section. I was never happy with the look. So I am trying out some new looks. Part of the problem is the stretched swing arm it makes the stock fender too short and some of the awesome looking tail sections just dont work with the longer arm. If you have any ideas let me know. Here are a few pics of some mock ups. I kind of like the metal rear rack best but not sure what I'll go with. Nothing has stuck yet.

chopped fender just not the thing for this one even though it was killer on biltwell's ezxl

It would be possible to use a dirt bike front fender to build a mold and glass up a rear fender. It could work and look ok

here is a rack style rear ala BMW GS

Comment

• ercle69
                • Dec 2010

you could chop it a little and it still look good, maybe mix it with the grab bar idea.

Comment

• JohnnyBGoode
                  • May 2011

I ride mine off road all the time My secret spot in the woods, not accessible by cars.

Comment

• johnwesley
                    • Sep 2012

after looking at the tail section options it make work with a biltwell banana seat. after looking at the dimension on the seat it would come very close to nice fit in the rack channel

so the narrowing part of the banana seat would fit that void well

and the rack width wise works with the sporty as well

Comment

• chief
                      • Nov 2010

yes!
                      the beemer rack is the way to go! looks great on it with the longer swingarm.

Comment

• johnwesley
                        • Sep 2012

thanks< i think I can make it work I'll do a little test fitting this afternoon and see what I come up with

Comment

• johnwesley
                          • Sep 2012

motorcycle usa article

came across this article on the first version of this bike check out the album that goes with the story it has some more detail in the captions

Comment

• johnwesley
                            • Sep 2012

I got a little work done. Wife had a motorcycle trip to Kansas this weekend and left today so I spent most of the day getting her stuff ready and making sure all was well with the bike. Then i have kids to spend time with. I got a hoop made and cut the rear struts. well pics are best

no worries about the all tread I used it to keep every thing straight and level. In the last pic I have the wheel with the suspension bottomed out. Still have a lot of work to do but this is a start

Comment

• johnwesley
                              • Sep 2012

Got a little FedEx package when I got home from work Saturday 😃

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by johnwesley; 04-14-2013, 9:26 AM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;