Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pTc
    • Jun 2010

Go wherever you can get the best job you can in the field that you got your degree in. 2 cents

Comment

• bonesxl1100
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by MIKE47
      Best advice ever given on the internet

If if wouldn't cost $20K for me to relocate my shop equipment I'd leave tomorrow.
      Nah, come out to my neck of the woods. Its only an hour from where you're at now. Just on the border with jersey. Could use a good shop like yours here. Ill help you pack.

Comment

• bonesxl1100
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by pTc
        Go wherever you can get the best job you can in the field that you got your degree in. 2 cents
        Simple but accurate advice. This isnt a tuff question to answer. Find where the jobs are in your field. Research the locations where they are and what the living expense is, average income of area, crime rate, tax rates, weather, etc etc.... Contact some companies and see if you can interview with them before moving would be a big plus so you're not stuck in an area with no job.

Comment

• Evidence
          • Sep 2012

One thing you will learn when you try to move, is that anywhere that's nice year round and would be great for riding will be expensive as fuck and there will be so many people you cant go anywhere or do anything. If I could convince my wife to leave the shit hole midwest, I would go to Phoenix or something. I have cousins in AZ and they love it...sure it gets hot, but the heat really doesn't bother me as much as humidity.

I lived in Denver for a while and I can tell you, that city is amazing. I would pack my shit up tonight and move back there if I could. You only get about as much riding time as you do in Oklahoma, but the riding is way better (in the mountains) and there's actually a lot of stuff to do up in the mountains in the winter time, so you're not just sitting at home bored out of your mind.

Comment

• Rubman
            • Dec 2011

1. Insanely high taxes.
            2. Corrupt/lazy legislature. By far the worst in the country.
            3. Ignorant/self-entitled general population.
            4. Awful congestion -- it's getting real bad around here, and with all the idiots, it's only going to get worse.
            5. Insane laws against just about EVERYTHING fun.

If you want to know the truth, I'm real proud I'm from New Jersey. The people who are born here are raised with a certain kind of, "Fuck you, this is how it is" attitude that I don't think anyone else (including New York, Philly, Boston, etc.) has. People from New Jersey who get the fuck out of here typically do pretty well in other places, and I think that special attitude has something to do with it.

It's refreshing to encounter that kind of attitude sparingly. You know? You have a buddy, and that's just how he is, because he's from New Jersey and you're not. But to live in a state full of people with the same attitude on a daily basis? It's really just an oddly-shaped mass of ass holes.

So I think growing up here is a good thing; you learn things about people and typically pick up perspectives completely different than a lot of other people in this country. But to die here? That's just tragic... And to NOT be born here but move here? Well, you're out of your fucking mind.

I don't care where you live in the country, if you wake up one morning and are just like, "I can't wait to pick up all my shit and move on out to the beautiful Garden State," then you should probably just kill yourself, quite frankly.

Comment

• AlexK
              • Oct 2012

Jersey isn't too bad. Ive been a lot of places and I keep coming back. Yeah congestion and taxes suck, so does the unemployment rate, but the schools are some of the best in the country. There are also places in nj where as far as you can see its nothing but farm and you might only see one car on the road. Our beaches are also pretty good too. If your going to raise kids, jersey is def worth it. If you can make it here you can make it anywhere.

Comment

• Torch
                • Jul 2009

if you want a plan for a great place to live 20 years from now.........

New Zealand

Comment

• drumballer
                  • Jun 2010

No matter where you go there are buildings, cars, and people so it's up to yourself on how it's going to be for you. Find a good job and make the best out of it, Worst case scenario you get a destination to ride your scoot and see old friends.

Comment

• Brendden
                    • Dec 2012

What degree? ASny kind of engineering and southeast texas will do you right.

Comment

• Evidence
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Brendden
                      What degree? ASny kind of engineering and southeast texas will do you right.
                      Im a mechanical designer specializing in piping and instrument design...I could make probably double in Houston what I make here, but my wife wants to stay around family. It sucks too, because my best friend since I was like 13 lives down there now, so I already know people in the city.

Comment

• MadRiverMotorCo
                        • Apr 2024

come to Boston...
                        This place isn't a shitshow at all

Comment

• Knuckleduster
                          • Apr 2024

Buddy, you might think that you can leave Oklahoma, but if you do, you'll be back.
                          Oklahoma is like a prison, you can leave,.......... but you'll be back!
                          Just get outta BFE, get a place up here in the city!

Comment

• heretic530
                            • Apr 2024

Ok, think this through a little more...and do it objectively, instead of letting big dreams influence your thinking...
                            You want a job "in the industry", so you are thinking of moving where there is year round riding, just like everyone else who dreams of being a bike builder. You are thinking of jumping right out of college and competing with guys who have been working on bikes for 20+ years.
                            Do you like sweeping floors? Do you like cleaning bathrooms? Those are the bike shop positions open for an inexperienced 'wrench".
                            You might be a great guy, and you might have skills, but bike shops see dozens of kids a month, who all want to be the next Jesse James. You might be the only one that whole month, who knows the difference between shovelhead and panhead rocker ratios off the top of your head, but you still fade into the never ending parade of young kids walking through the doors looking for a job.
                            I am not saying that you shouldn't peruse a career in motorcycles, I am saying be realistic about it. This is a time when the arrogance of youth will not help you. Have a real plan. One with a contingency plan to fall back on, if you are not hired in the first shop you walk into. Consider the competition where you want to go.

something to think about.... Do you know what a shop owner's job DOES NOT entail? it is NOT part of a shop owner's job to give every kid a chance to be a bike building hero. A shop owner must decide which employee will make the shop prosperous. So which do you think brings in more money for the average shop...knowing wassell tanks are cool on an internet site, oe being able to adjust the perportioning valve on a brand new honda goldwing anti lock brake system? I use the "wing" as an example, because they are gold to a shop owner. You get an extra hour just for pulling the plastic off, and putting it back on...I am not saying you only know bikes on the internet, I am just trying to make you realize what is out there, and what you NEED to know to be successful in the motorcycle field
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2013, 12:11 PM.

Comment

• SeaChicken
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by randommayhem
                              Don't come to Portland, the weather is decent 5 months out of the year if your lucky and it's an expensive city to live in.
                              Not to mention all the tree hugger hippy shit. I couldn't live in oregon or cali, it is too expensive and the state laws suck.

Listen to heretic his advice is pretty sound for any wrench turning profession. You might have to work at jiffy lube for a while or somewhere else before a shop will take a chance on you. Going to school means just that. You went to school. Your probably going to have to get job experience in other places until you get to know the right people and get a job working on bikes.
                              Last edited by SeaChicken; 04-05-2013, 12:23 PM.

Comment

• Pendulum
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Evidence
                                One thing you will learn when you try to move, is that anywhere that's nice year round and would be great for riding will be expensive as fuck and there will be so many people you cant go anywhere or do anything. If I could convince my wife to leave the shit hole midwest, I would go to Phoenix or something. I have cousins in AZ and they love it...sure it gets hot, but the heat really doesn't bother me as much as humidity.

I lived in Denver for a while and I can tell you, that city is amazing. I would pack my shit up tonight and move back there if I could. You only get about as much riding time as you do in Oklahoma, but the riding is way better (in the mountains) and there's actually a lot of stuff to do up in the mountains in the winter time, so you're not just sitting at home bored out of your mind.
                                No way man. I live in downtown Phoenix, less than 10 minutes on my scoot from all of the museums, sports facilities, restaurants, etc and my rent is only $815/month. I split it with my girl. About 15% of my income goes to housing and we pay about $40/wk for groceries. Gas is under $4, I think. Don't really pay attention.

Yeah, there are some REALLY expensive areas in AZ, but you can definitely live comfortably on an average income.

I'm gonna go ahead and quote Heretic just because everything he said is awesome.
                                Originally posted by heretic530
                                Ok, think this through a little more...and do it objectively, instead of letting big dreams influence your thinking...
                                You want a job "in the industry", so you are thinking of moving where there is year round riding, just like everyone else who dreams of being a bike builder. You are thinking of jumping right out of college and competing with guys who have been working on bikes for 20+ years.
                                Do you like sweeping floors? Do you like cleaning bathrooms? Those are the bike shop positions open for an inexperienced 'wrench".
                                You might be a great guy, and you might have skills, but bike shops see dozens of kids a month, who all want to be the next Jesse James. You might be the only one that whole month, who knows the difference between shovelhead and panhead rocker ratios off the top of your head, but you still fade into the never ending parade of young kids walking through the doors looking for a job.
                                I am not saying that you shouldn't peruse a career in motorcycles, I am saying be realistic about it. This is a time when the arrogance of youth will not help you. Have a real plan. One with a contingency plan to fall back on, if you are not hired in the first shop you walk into. Consider the competition where you want to go.

something to think about.... Do you know what a shop owner's job DOES NOT entail? it is NOT part of a shop owner's job to give every kid a chance to be a bike building hero. A shop owner must decide which employee will make the shop prosperous. So which do you think brings in more money for the average shop...knowing wassell tanks are cool on an internet site, oe being able to adjust the perportioning valve on a brand new honda goldwing anti lock brake system? I use the "wing" as an example, because they are gold to a shop owner. You get an extra hour just for pulling the plastic off, and putting it back on...I am not saying you only know bikes on the internet, I am just trying to make you realize what is out there, and what you NEED to know to be successful in the motorcycle field

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;