CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 5 of 5 First ... 345

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by LisaBallard View Post
    http://www.chopcult.com/pTc/

Due to the great response, Tyler would like to giveaway five free videos from each title. Please send me an email with your address to lisa@chopcult.com. Also include your profile name

I would like to thank everyone that followed through with their reviews.They look GREAT! There are a few missing and we would like to get this completed by weeks end. Thanks for your help.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's my review, thakns to Tyler and Lisa for the opportunity!

I wish I had this video sooner. The first thing I was told when I got a shovelhead was “you’re in over your head.” The second thing I heard was “get the manual.” They were right (both times). You can’t do it without the manual, but the manual doesn’t make it easy. The Lowbrow Shovelhead Tune and Service DVD makes it easy.

To start with, the DVD is pretty straightforward. It’s a guy, Frank, and a couple motorcycles. Frank walks you through the steps to take care of some of the most common tune-up and service procedures. He makes things easy to understand, and you can tell he’s not reading from a script. He’s just talking about things he’s done a thousand times and understands backwards and forwards.

The DVD is broken down into eight sections: an intro, Changing Your Oil, Rear Chain Adjustment, Valve Adjustment, Ignition Systems Magneto, Points and Electronic Ignitions, Fuel Delivery Systems, and Battery and Charging System.

Some of this stuff is pretty basic, but Frank not only shows you how to do it, he explains how things work. This gives you a better understanding of what you’re doing, and it also tells you why you are doing it. That made things much easier for me to grasp. Also, outside the manual I get most of my info from online forums. They are great, but sometimes there’s a limit to the amount of ignorance I want to cop to on the World Wide Web to be searchable for all time. By explaining even the basic stuff Frank answered questions I would have felt stupid asking. Working on a forty year old motorcycle make me feel stupid enough sometimes, I don’t need any help.

Speaking of feeling stupid, I would never have guessed I would be so comfortable adjusting my valves. I thought it would be complicated and honestly I was intimidated by the thought of messing with it. After watching Frank do it and explain it my first thought was “you’ve got to be kidding, THAT is what I was afraid to try?!”

Another cool feature of the video is that Frank goes over both the “slabside” generator shovelhead motor and the later “cone” alternator version. I have a cone motor, but it’s nice to know the differences. Plus, you’re covered no matter which model you have. Likewise, the DVD takes you through the adjustment and timing for both points and a magneto, and finally aftermarket electronic ignition systems.

While it’s not a big deal, I really liked the shots of bikes between the segments. A little break looking at beautiful iron is always a good thing.

A lot of people these days are stuck trying to figure things out by looking through the manual or hoping to get some knowledgeable information from helpful people on the Internet. These both work for the most part but for me the best case scenario would be to learn hands-on from someone with decades of experience. Nothing beats learning how to do something from a guy who has already figured out exactly how to do it and knows all the little tips and trick. That's the kind of knowledge that you only get from a lifetime of experience and there's no way to replicate that with the manual. Plus, as an added bonus, Frank Kaisler is not only a "greybeard" chopper guru, he actually has a grey beard. How can you do better than that?
    Last edited by chupa; 05-08-2013 at 6:38 PM. Reason: typo

Get Adobe Flash player

wait, there's a TIG video? Can I volunteer to review that one too?

Get Adobe Flash player

I had actually purchased the TiG DVD earlier and reviewed it for fun. My other review(s) forthcoming.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Ironhead DVD Review

Ironhead DVD review

I sat down with a buddy of mine to watch this DVD since he was having some issues with his '64. First of Frank is great! I felt like I was in the shop with him as he was explaining things to me. Very straight forward and plenty of moments made us laugh too. It was perfect to have someone explaining and showing you on the bike at the same time rather than trying to figure it out solely from reading the words on a page. Most interesting to me were the little tips and tricks that only come from years of experience that you would never find in a manual. They most certainly made be sit back and say "man, I never would have thought of that" This DVD covered the basics and is laid out in a way that if you had never touched this bike before you could follow along with ease and no doubt complete all the tasks presented. The topics covered are Fluids, Valve Train, Ignition, Timing, Fuel System, and Electrical. Each topic is covered with enough detail without being overly technical that we we able to follow along without getting lost in jargon or complex detail. I have performed most of these tasks before and my buddy has not and we both were left with a better understanding of what we are doing and we both definitely learned a thing or two. The only thing that we were able to pick on in this video was some of the editing and camera work ( a few bad angles), but that is mostly because my buddy is an amateur film maker and I think he was being to hard on ya! So for two dudes with serious ADD problems to sit down, drink beer and watch this DVD from start to finish without distractions or getting bored is quite a job, and and I say to you fine people, that's a job well done!

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 4 speed transmission dvd review

This dvd couldn't have come at a better time. I just acquired a 4 speed in a project and was planning on having someone go through it but not now! As for me, I have always been able to do my own motor work, fabrication etc. but I have always been "afraid" of transmissions. Too many moving parts in that little box! Frank Kaisler's full and complete description of all the parts and how they function in conjunction with the rest of the transmission actually for once made since to me. I am a very auditory learner so having the step by step procedures explained in terms a transmission novice can understand was great. To start off, the transmission stand and the explanation of the do it yourself tools to make the project easier were great. The explanation of the proper removal of each part of the transmission, cleaning, inspection was great for me. If I have to go through the shop manual for this I would have to read it three or four times to get it through my thick skull. Each step in the process is explained in a way that a total novice can completely understand and an experienced wrench could learn something from. Nothing is skipped over in the explanations. I have watched videos in the past and was left with questions about "What was this part?" or "What did that piece go to?" That was not the case at all with this dvd. The explanations of troubleshooting problems with the four speed transmission are very easy to understand and would be very helpful to someone that has never been inside a four speed transmission. The explanations on each little part, if not reinstalled the right way can affect the operation of the transmission. This was great for me since that has been my biggest fear of tearing in to one of these. This dvd is jam packed full of information! The organization of the dvd was very good so you don't get lost with a lot of skipping around. Everything is step by step and easy to follow along at your own pace. As stated in the previous reviews, the only problem I had with watching this dvd was with some of the camera angles. When I get to the point of tearing down my transmission I'll just have to wait till the wife leaves so I can bring my case in the house to see the parts Frank was discussing. I have read chapters in service manuals on other transmissions and felt that it just wasn't something that I really cared to tackle but, with Franks complete, easy to follow explanations, I feel like this is something I myself can handle now. I, unlike some of the members here, am no writer so I apologize if my review may seem a little jumbled and disorganized. I am very glad I threw my name in the hat to get a chance to review this video. It has definitely been any eye opening experience as well as a great learning experience. I would recommend this video to anyone, experienced or not, if they plan on working on or just servicing their transmission

Get Adobe Flash player

Shovelhead Tune & Service review:
    Shovelhead Tune & Service is part of Lowbrow Customs’ Do-it-Yourself Series of DVDs available for the purchase price of $39.95 each. It is hosted and narrated by Frank Kaisler who has “ridden, fooled with, blown up, torn down, rebuilt, chromed… everything” with these engines. It’s narrated really well and Frank is affable and articulate.

The video comprises an intro and 7 other chapters, however at just over 2 hours, it feels like it packs many tomes of Shovel information in a single DVD punch.

Frank starts by covering the major changes and options that graced the Shovelhead’s ’66-’84 production life including the generator and alternator bottom end and many carburetors. He praises S&S for the Super E high performance aftermarket carburetor, their production Shovelhead-style motors, their innovation, and continued customer support.

In the “Changing Your Oil” chapter, Frank changes both the motor and transmission oils. He shows how to make sure you have enough transmission oil when refilling. The beginner would benefit from seeing and hearing Frank narrate about the 3 oil lines going to the oil pump whereas the expert would benefit from learning about the gears’ (pressurization and scavenge) purposes in the S&S gear oil pump shown on one of the bikes.

The chapter titled “Rear Chain Adjustment” shows such adjustment on a rigid-frame Shovelhead with rear mechanical brake. The swingarm frame chain adjustment is discussed but not shown.
    Next is the Chapter titled “Valve Adjustment.” Frank shows adjustment of a pushrod riding on an aftermarket solid lifter. Then the DVD describes (but doesn’t show) how to adjust pushrods with hydraulic lifters. I felt like some of the tips given in this chapter made the entire video worthwhile, but there was a lot of priceless information to come, namely about ignition systems.

The “Ignition Systems: Magneto” chapter sees Frank opening up the timing view hole on the motor case and statically adjusting points in a Morris magneto. Next he moves on to using the timing light in a dynamic sense.

“Ignition Systems: Points and Electronic Ignition” displays the points found on a cone Shovel. Frank gets into the flyweight assembly which is used for mechanical advance. He also talks about Rev-Tech, Dyna, and Harley Davidson electronic ignitions. With the help of Wes White of Four Aces, they present a really cool method of static timing that will get your bike approximately timed.

In “Fuel Delivery Systems”, the DVD records disassembly and rebuild of an S&S Super E air cleaner element, throttle cable inspection, petcock inspection, fuel line checks, vented gas cap, and mentions a support bracket for the extended carburetor. Frank explains how to check for an intake leak by spraying Brakleen while the bike is running.

Finally, the “Battery and Charging System” chapter shows spark plug wire inspection, dielectric grease, spark plug gapping, plug installation with anti-sieze and an interesting way to burp the plug wire using a plastic cable tie so that no air/moisture is left at the top of the plug once installed. A walk through checking the charging system (stator, voltage regulator, battery) is presented. Battery types (wet cell, gel) are discussed and it is shown how to load test a battery.

The closing remarks remind us of basic common sense and grace us with a humble “Thank You” for buying the DVD. Anyone who owns or works on Shovelheads should have this video as a supplement to the service manual because there’s no substitute for seeing the work done as opposed to simply reading about it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Shovelhead Tune & Service review

Dang it.
    Last edited by RyanPitch; 05-11-2013 at 12:52 AM. Reason: Double post. Maybe it's a Firefox thing...

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Big Twin 4-Speed Transmission Review

1st, 2nd, 3rd, Go 4th and ride. Frank Kaisler and Four Aces Cycle are at it again with this installment of the Do-it-Yourself video series. From front to back and side to side; cogs, gears, pins, and bearings, it’s all covered in the Big Twin 4-speed Transmission Rebuild DVD from Lowbrow Customs. The guru of shift, Mr. Kaisler, takes the magic and mysticism out of the gearbox that has the garage mechanic and vintage motorcycle community all aflutter with anxiety and fear. Frank’s geared expedition is one that goes step by step to prove that there is nothing overly complicated for those eager to complete a 4-speed transmission overhaul.

Something for everyone resides within the circular confines of this video workshop manual. Upon initial inspection of a 4-Speed transmission, the sheer amount of “stuff” crammed inside that aluminum case is nothing less then overwhelming, but one mustn’t worry because Frank Kaisler has it covered. This DVD more than adequately explains not only what that “stuff” inside the transmission actually is, but how to remove, inspect, refurbish, and most importantly, correctly reinstall it to obtain the most effective life span from that fast spinning mechanism that keeps the wheels moving forward at a reasonable pace. Since a transmission is in no way straightforward, some type of instruction is not only helpful, but also necessary. This DVD saves time and sweet sweet cash to boot. Let Frank explain the differences in mainshafts so the primary that was picked up on a swinging deal will actually mount properly and work. Don’t get stuck having to purchase new components after using hammers where specialty tools were needed. Frank explains what tools are required and the mechanics behind the usage of the new shiny device in the pile. Count the roller bearings and watch the clip placements, grease the springs and align the shift forks, everything is going to be just fine. Skillfully demonstrated, clearly explained, and divided into chapters for ease of use, this video is first-rate. After watching the DVD it is painfully obvious that the leak free transmission rebuilt in the garage isn’t a hallucination, but an actuality and absolute possibility.

Turns out, transmissions don’t actually function by way of four leaf clovers and unicorn tears; it’s a genuine science. Hard work and knowledge play a large part in keeping that delicate box of gears from becoming a drain on your wallet. Frank Kaisler, Four Aces Cycle and Lowbrow Customs can help with the knowledge portion of the challenge, but the hard work is yours to bear. So grab yourself a copy of the Big Twin 4-Speed Transmission Rebuild DVD and keep the gears spinning freely in your transmission so the ones in your head can enjoy the ride….

Get Adobe Flash player

Your review makes mine look like they got 1000 retarded monkeys throwing typewriters at each other and my review is what came out. Well written.

Get Adobe Flash player

1000 monkeys throwing typewriters at each is a pretty genius statement... Made me laugh pretty hard...

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's mine for the Shovelhead Tune and Service:

In the Shovelhead Tune and Service with Frank Kaisler, Frank goes through everything you need to know for day-to-day servicing of your shovelhead to keep it up and running.
    Frank starts of with a short introduction on the shovelhead engine, so anybody that just fell from the sky will have a basic knowledge on what engine he or she are dealing with.
    Allthough the two bikes Frank works on as examples are not stock, they do represent the most common changes that have been done on most shovelhead engines. Frank even does a good job explaining how things would be on a stock engine.

Frank has a nice and easy pace going through things, step by step, explaining very well what he is doing and what you might expect in the process.
    He also takes the time to explain the theory behind various parts of the engine, giving you a good lesson on how matters actually work. For instanse Frank shows the oil line orientation coming from the oil pump, helping the novice understand his bike better.
    So if you are willing to listen, you’ll learn alot more than just how clinically adjusting the bike.

The DVD covers Fluid changes, Valve train adjustment, Ignition, Timing, Fuel system and Electrical.

My favorite part is where Frank goes through timing and ignition. There he gives away plenty of tips and tricks on how to set your timing, both on a magneto as well as points. And to top it of he discusses other aftermarket electronic ignitions and explains how they work. This part has really helped me out a lot.

All in all, this DVD is going to help anyone who has a shovelhead to maintain and improve their bike to a point where every day riding stops being a constant headache and becomes fun and simple again.
    And if you are like me and don’t have access to a graybeard to help you straighten your bike out you are going to benefit from having Frank as your pocket-graybeard, if you will.

I just hope they come out with a DVD where Frank does a complete tear down and rebuild of a shovel.

Get Adobe Flash player

Frank is the Man!!! This video reminded me of sitting

Get Adobe Flash player

Shovelhead Tune and Service DVD. Frank is the Man!!! This video reminded me of sitting in the garage with my Ol man and his buddy's. it covers all the basics of a Proper Shovelhead mantince. He is very knowledgable of the workings of this motor and Bike. The way he explains things are golden and spot on. I found the tip on the timing mark on the primary to be a very useful and much cleaner way of timing your bike. The fact that you have 2 diffrent bikes that have diffrent variations and style helped to get more information across. He even goes as far as how to time a magneto. Frank breaks it all down so that all you have to do is have sum mechanical ability and sum good Ol fashion know how to be able to keep your bike on the road. The tip on burping spark plugs is something that in my last 10 years of doing this professionaly I have never heard of until this video, it's makes gray seance and have been doing this to every bike I change plugs on now. I do not have anything negative about this video. Produced very well, very informative, overall I would recommend any one with a Shovelhead to pick this video up and watch it.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'll take any of the videos if there are some left
    thanks Dustin

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Ironhead Tune & Service Review

Ironhead Tune & Service is part of Lowbrow Customs’ Do-it-Yourself Series of DVDs available for the purchase price of $39.95 each. It is hosted and narrated by Frank Kaisler who has been riding custom Harley Davidson motorcycles for over 40 years including over 30 years of technical and fabrication work.

Chapter 1 covers removing and inspecting spark plugs and manually turning the motor over which is required for most tune and service operations.

Chapter 2 shows how to adjust the valves. Frank removes the air cleaner, backing plate, magneto, pushrod cover tubes, and adjusts the pushrod lifters by look and feel.

Chapter 3 is about primary chain adjustment. You’ll see how to visually check and manually adjust the primary chain followed by refilling the transmission oil.

Chapter 4 shows how to do the most common thing necessary and that is to change your oil. While working, Frank educates the viewers by describing the purpose of three oil lines going to the oil tank. He removes the rear exhaust and gives sagacious tips on how to route your oil lines. One reason this video is useful is for all of the little tips you’d glean if you had worked on bikes as much as Frank. For example, he tells how to clean out a used oil tank with kerosene or purge a crankcase of all of its used oil.

Chapter 5 quickly shows how to adjust the rear chain. You’ll see the rear axle loosened, adjusted, and the tire rotated to find the chain’s tightest spots. You’re also reminded about inspecting the rear sprocket for alignment.

Chapter 6 and 7 comprise the ignition system by magneto and points, respectively. This chapter is where viewing the DVD is so much more helpful than reading how to do things online. Frank not only cleans points (in a magneto) but replaces a points unit on a ’77 Ironhead, replete with setting the gap and installing a mechanical advance. Static timing is shown while using a timing gun/light is discussed.

Chapter 8, Fuel Delivery Systems, entails a little history regarding all of the common carburetors used on Ironheads: Bendix (most prolific), Tillotson, DC Linkert, S&S E, Keihin, SU and Weber. Frank talks about the 3 circuits on a carburetor (idle, midrange, and main). One great piece of advice is to go and read the Mikuni tuning manual written by Joe Minton (technician for Mikuni). Lastly in this chapter, he removes the throttle and cable assembly for inspection and lube.

The last chapter, Battery and Charging System, is more generic and overlaps with the “Battery” chapter in the Shovelhead video. This chapter is a cursory glance at the different parts of a charging system and its options: the generator, stator, voltage regulator (solid state and mechanical), wet battery with vent tube, and gel battery.

At just over 2 hours, the DVD is more thorough than I’ve let on here, however one can imagine that Frank Kaisler and Lowbrow Customs can’t cover everything in one DVD. Thus, they recommend having your factory service manual and describe the purpose of this DVD as “to share with you what we’ve learned and practiced over decades. You can take it or leave it, but we know these things work.” True enough, even practiced technicians or fabricators can glean little jewels that are interspersed throughout the DVD.

Get Adobe Flash player

Ironhead Tune and Service with Frank Kaiser, is part of the Do-it-Yourself Video Workshop Manual available through LowbrowCustoms.com.

Frank covers topics specific to Ironhead Sportsters, such as, engine and transmission fluids, valvetrain adjustment, ignition troubleshooting and timing, fuel systems and carbeuretor adjustment, and electrical familiarity.

Each topic is discussed on a level that any monkey-with-a-wrench can understand, but the instruction does get a little dry at times.

This video manual is essential for any first-time Ironhead owner, as Frank perpares you by covering the basics necessary for that all-important first start.

Share This