Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • murraydo15
    • Mar 2013

Ya I've thought a lot about his today. Im really not going to be happy with a shaft drive. I wish i could say i would but i want to put money into something that going to make me smile not a shrug. So im just going to get this thing running sell it for as much as i can depending on what i get out of it I'll either get a Harley or go down your route of an cb750

Comment

• PeanutHead
      • Nov 2011

Hell, see if someone out there would trade a CB750 in like condition for your GS.

Comment

• murraydo15
        • Mar 2013

Originally posted by PeanutHead
        Hell, see if someone out there would trade a CB750 in like condition for your GS.
        Ya i tried that with the way the economy is everyone is demenading cash. I be so mad

Comment

• NeoDutch
          • Aug 2009

You can do away with the cover if you want.

Comment

• 904Punk
            • Jun 2012

If you want a bigger cc chain drive don't forget the kz's too. Might not be as cool as a cb750 but you can pick up a kz1000 for under a grand.

Comment

• murraydo15
              • Mar 2013

Hmm I'll have to keep an eye out for those as well.

Comment

• gs650
                • Jul 2010

The work it would take to swap to chain drive isn't worth it. There is one rear wire wheel that I'm told will work. Suzuki madura 1200. Any suzuki front wheel from the late 70's early 80's will work. You can still make a cool bike out of what you have. Here is my 650 I just sold. Almost identical to your's.

Comment

• murraydo15
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by gs650
                  The work it would take to swap to chain drive isn't worth it. There is one rear wire wheel that I'm told will work. Suzuki madura 1200. Any suzuki front wheel from the late 70's early 80's will work. You can still make a cool bike out of what you have. Here is my 650 I just sold. Almost identical to your's.

Hmmm

Comment

• Marshman
                    • May 2019

I can't figure out were to start my own conversation. What I want to know is I have a 81 GS 850 shaft drive I've done a lot of work on as far as customizing. I have the front end on it now off an 2002 GSXR but now rims don't match. Has anyone had success with finding or fabricating a different style of rim for a fatter rear tire or a different style rim off other bikes?

Comment

• Jasonisdico
                      • May 2010

You could try other GS series wheels, but they’re all pretty similar. It’s possible a GS1100 wheel would work, but with being shaft drive with a hub, the rear wheel is pretty specific. You can fit a slightly larger tire than what’s on the stock rim. But if the main concern is they don’t match, you’d be much better off making the front wheel work than finding a rear that will.

Comment

• WillSCB
                        • Dec 2014

Originally posted by 904Punk
                        If you want a bigger cc chain drive don't forget the kz's too. Might not be as cool as a cb750 but you can pick up a kz1000 for under a grand.
                        Good suggestion. The old KZ's were good running bikes, and were made for quite a while. Also, there are quite a few of the police models still floating around. One nice thing with making a chop out of them is if you get one with the fairings, bags, and such, you can sell a lot of that to guys looking to bring them back to original.

Comment

• farmall
                          • Apr 2013

The KZ has a stronger, more modern engine. They were a bit less popular than CBs for choppers because the Kawis were better candidates than the CB for race bikes. Suzuki GS series chain driven fours are also excellent machines and usually sell cheap.

Comment

• Luky
                            • May 2018

You can only convert a driveshaft bike to chain drive if the shaft
                            coming out of the engine turns counterclockwise.
                            I have actually done a conversion. It can get very complicated and you may need machining
                            and expert TIG welding. Oil flow from the front gears has to be redirected back to the engine case or pan.
                            You cannot just block off the oil flow! The shaft coming out of the engine may need a new sealed bearing to keep oil inside the engine.
                            You will have to remove the inside seal of the bearing so the bearing can get oiled.
                            Also add another oil seal on the outside of the bearing if at all possible.
                            If it has a hydraulic clutch, that will have to be modified too if it was part of the front bevel gear case.
                            Last edited by Luky; 05-21-2019, 12:16 PM.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;