Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jacsue
    • Mar 2013

1972 Honda CB350 first time build

First time post, first time bike build. I bought this cb350 summer of 2011 as my first bike, learned to ride on it. Now, after much encouragement from my mister, I'm finally cutting her up and learning along the way. Chop what you've got, right?
    I'm converting it to a hardtail, will be putting on new handlebars, seat, tank, etc. Didn't know I was getting myself into a difficult job with the stamped frame and uneven rails until I tore her down... but that just makes more to learn.
    Finally got to posting some pics tonight. Definitely still a LOT of work left, but here's where she's at. We don't have a garage to do this so I cleared some space in the dining/kitchen and tore her apart there. Borrowing a bench in my "in-law's" shop for the cutting/welding. Still not sure yet if my mister or I will do the welding... we'll see how our practice goes and if it looks good, we'll do it. If not, we'll just tack it and take it to a pro.
    So far I've stripped her, cut off some of the frame. Currently getting the lower rail finished, then will use that line to put the other rail in... after that will be using the stamped spine as a sleeve for putting some pipe in as a new spine, cutting the stamped just behind the motor mounts on the spine and just above the motor mounts on the seat post. Trying to clean it up and lose some of the stamped look without compromising the frame... made this decision based on the research I've done on here and other forums to see how others handle that ugly ass stamped frame. Have to tweak the stamped spine so my new frisco mount sporty tank from TC Bros can fit.
    Anyway, rambling a bit now so just gonna post the pics... will post more as I get more done.
    Attached Files
  • cb75088
    • Jan 2013

I will be following your build cause my buddy is doin a cb360 look sweet so I want to see other ideas

Comment

• Br4denJ
      • Feb 2013

I am excited to see how this bike turns out. Good luck with the build

Comment

• Huxy101
        • Jan 2013

This is my cb360 and my fabricator used some of the stamped backbone and made the rest it looks great just thought I would share it.
        Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Comment

• jacsue
          • Mar 2013

Thanks for the interest.

Interesting to see what everyone does when dealing with these stamped frames... Love all the creative solutions.

How did your fabricator tie the new backbone tube into the stamped section? Plug the stamped and weld to that? Or is there something running all the way through the stamped section to the neck? Curious as I have an idea what I want to do, just like to see how others handle it while keeping structural integrity.

Comment

• HWC
            • Aug 2009

keep im mind that neck is nothin but stamped steel also,, wrapped around those bearing cups,,

Comment

• Gedilicious
              • May 2010

Sweet! I haven't seen many CB350/360 done as rigids. Keep us posted.

Comment

• Huxy101
                • Jan 2013

He has the new backbone running threw the old and caped it off and welded it all together....
                Gedilicious thanks man I have a build thread on my bike it's called 1975 cb360 1st build. But yeah I got my bike and wanted it hardtailed so that's what my fabricator made for me... It's a drop seat.... But also can't wait to see what this cb350 starts looking like as the progress continues...

Comment

• jacsue
                  • Mar 2013

Yeah, was surprised when I tore her apart and saw the neck wasn't solid... Wild... I plan on running tube up the backbone, stopping shy of the "neck", using the stamped as a sleeve to plug weld it all together... Cut off the stamped junk just behind the motor mounts on the backbone, and cutting off above the motor mounts on the seat post.
                  Just finished getting both rails tacked in and took off the swingarm... The rest is just mocked up, seeing what she might look like. Starting to get exciting,
                  Attached Files

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;