Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • murraydo15
    • Mar 2013

My 1981 gs850

So guys I recently purchased an gs850. Now couple question before i start down the rd of bobbing the hell out of it. Firstly where does one look to find the spoke wheels, I've tried criaglist and ebay. Secondly, i do not have any welding skills nor ever touch the tools to do so . So i talked to a couple custom garage and they were telling me it would cost upward to 800 or more to do it, does that sound right? Maybe i could convince someone local some quick cash and a 24 pack of beer of their choosing to weld it for me? Also will post picture of my bike granted not a very good one will have some more this weekend and another picture of how i want the frame to look like.

Please and thank you for any help or responses.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by murraydo15; 03-28-2013, 7:09 PM.
  • royota
    • Sep 2011

I think the problem your going to run into is that your bike is shaft driven, which is why it might be more expensive.

Comment

• murraydo15
      • Mar 2013

Ya im disappointed. I think im just going to clean it up and sell it off for a profit and try to get an harley

Comment

• JamesM
        • Jul 2012

You want to give up that easily and go buy some run of the mill Sporty?

There are plenty of shaft driven chops. I think there is even a thread, so search for that. Secondly, go to the Brolodex on here and find someone in your area to whip you up a hardtail cheap. $800 is insane.

As far as wheel swaps, I'm not sure what all options you have for the rear, but for the front finding a spoked wheel from a different bike to fit shouldn't be that difficult. I'm not up on my Suzuki knowledge, but there are dudes on here that are that can point you in the right direction as far as having front brakes still, and a speedo gear.

Don't throw in the towel just yet, I bet you'll enjoy this bike way more after making it your own.

Comment

• murraydo15
          • Mar 2013

Ya i don't know what im going to do. I went on brodex so we will see if anyone wants to help out. I thought about just blocking out back and get spokes for the front and it should look ok because ill put thicker tires on the back. See i thought 800 was insane too but that's just an starting price so it could run for more and i was like holy crap.

Comment

• murraydo15
            • Mar 2013

So picked up my motorcycle last night. So i had to stop three times because it was freezing and i got lost but that's another story for another time. So the guy who owned it before me clearly knew nothing about motorcycles and severely neglected it. I got screwed. Im going to have to put god knows what money to fix it. But for now it smokes when you run it to long but i think that's due to some crappy exhaust on it with an even worse wrap job. The clutch seems to be gone. I don't know what I've gotten myself into here

Comment

• murraydo15
              • Mar 2013

So yesterday I got to work on the motorcycle some and after working on a motorcycle to come to find out that the crabs are completely gone your exhaust gone and I need to work on the master cylinder for the front brake. Oh and surprise surprise the battery doesn't work at all now have to get a new 1. So today after I get off work I'm buying a brand new battery and I'm on a try to put in the battery in and see if the bike was start because of a bad battery if not then I'm going to have problems with the wire in which is just going to make it more of the workso today after I get off work I'm buying a brand new battery and I'm on a try to put in the battery in and see if the bike was start because of a bad battery if not then I'm going to have problems with the wire in which is just going to make it more of the work. I'll be posting pictures of 2 of the work that I do tomorrow as well.

Comment

• murraydo15
                • Mar 2013

So after I got out of work I bought the battery that I thought was supposed to go for the motorcycle I found out that I was wrong and I bought the wrong battery so with that being said I have no idea what I'm going to do now haha my conclusion now is that I think I'm just gonna rip apart all the pool bike and I'm hoping that you know with me take it all apart I can set it up so much better than the way that looks right now I think I'm also going to have to replace a lot of the wiring. I also have some pictures from after work that I talk after work to show what the bike currently looks like. I was hoping to have more responses in my thread so that I could get some help on what [[/need to do with my bike but it looks like I'm on my own . I will be showing step by step of what I do with this bike so hopefully you guys will appreciate my workday put into this. Happy Easter all.
                Attached Files

Comment

• murraydo15
                  • Mar 2013

I'm hoping that is some people read this supposed to could tell me if I can change my shaft drive to chain drive. I'm not worried about the money that it would cost to do it but I would like to be set in the right direction on how to do it. All the help would be greatly appreciated.

Comment

• royota
                    • Sep 2011

From what I see you have a pretty decent starter there. If I were you I would get it running with the pipes cut off you probably need to get different jets. Cut the fender down, taller handlebars, side mount plate with light.

Comment

• murraydo15
                      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by royota
                      From what I see you have a pretty decent starter there. If I were you I would get it running with the pipes cut off you probably need to get different jets. Cut the fender down, taller handlebars, side mount plate with light.

I plan on doing all of that except for apes. But i really want to bob it out hard lol. Im still trying to see if i can convert it to chain drive

Comment

• YamahaScott
                        • Apr 2013

Hi there, I just joined chopcult this is my first post!
                        I have an 1982 GR 650 tempter bought it with a hardtail welded on already.

Wheel
                        My bike came with 2 spare wheels, one of which is spokes.
                        From what I have found the GR & GS's are all very similar.
                        I think the spare wheel with spoke is from another GR/GS of a different year.
                        If you want to try find spokes maybe try searching for a used 'part bike' for sale.
                        In my city there seem to be at least 3 bikes of similar type on the go at any one time.

Battery
                        Dont replace it yet! (or again)
                        I bought my bike on day 1, and day 2 the battery was near dead.... I bought a new battery and the same thing happened.
                        The suzuki GR/GS are infamous for battery charging problems.
                        see: http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm
                        it may only cost $90 to fix, it is usually the 'rectifier' or stators
                        ..in the mean time..... I just have to charge my battery every 10 rides or so.

- Scott
                        Last edited by YamahaScott; 04-05-2013, 10:51 PM.

Comment

• Pendulum
                          • Jul 2011

Originally posted by YamahaScott
                          Hi there, I just joined chopcult this is my first post!
                          I have an 1982 GR 650 tempter bought it with a hardtail welded on already.

Wheel
                          My bike came with 2 spare wheels, one of which is spokes.
                          From what I have found the GR & GS's are all very similar.
                          I think the spare wheel with spoke is from another GR/GS of a different year.
                          If you want to try find spokes maybe try searching for a used 'part bike' for sale.
                          In my city there seem to be at least 3 bikes of similar type on the go at any one time.

Battery
                          Dont replace it yet! (or again)
                          I bought my bike on day 1, and day 2 the battery was near dead.... I bought a new battery and the same thing happened.
                          The suzuki GR/GS are infamous for battery charging problems.
                          see: http://www.thegsresources.com/garage/gs_statorfacts.htm
                          it may only cost $90 to fix, it is usually the 'rectifier' of stators
                          ..in the mean time..... I just have to charge my battery every 10 rides or so.

- Scott
                          VERY good info here! The old GS bikes are infamous for having charging problems. Get that shit sorted out, and you'll be able to ride that thing for years.

Comment

• murraydo15
                            • Mar 2013

Hmm sorry for lax of no posting. I finally stripped the thing down more. I got the carbs off and found some one to ship to have rebuilt and cleaned for about 200 not bad considering shops were charging 400. Also the more I ripped it apart i think the whole electronics is messed up and i need to rewire everything.......im getting a huge headache from this thing. Plus im trying to mod this out to look like a bobber which is another headache...also i need some advice on the forks because i would like better looking ones including advice on the rear springs like what is a good height to get a bobber look or where they sell or make them.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• YamahaScott
                              • Apr 2013

Forks: my GS 650 tempter frame has GS 650 forks on it (I'm pretty sure) . The local motorcycle salvage here, has quite a few forks... Maybe you can swap yours out for cheap

Carbs: when installed find the air mixture screws on top. They work great
                              Clockwise= lean. Anticlockwise = richer. If I remember correctly.

I need to rewire my bike to. If anyone has a rewiring diagram for the 1982 Suzuki GR 650's please share. I have been looking everywhere. I have diagrams for similar models but none exact.

Also, is there a Suzuki specific thread on chop cult? I have been looking but not found any yet. Is it worth opening a new thread for generic Suzuki GR/GS bikes? I think I can help and share what I have learnt.
                              I'm new to this site and don't want to step on toes or break rules.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;