CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 2 First 12

Thread: My 1981 gs850

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by YamahaScott View Post
    The finish on the tank looks great !
    Thanks im pretty happy with it. Its that textured paint that you use in the trunk of a truck. It should bedDifervent that's for sure.

Get Adobe Flash player

So i just found out i can do an Harley front forks and the work woot woot. Im going to have a custom triple tree made for the bike after i get it running properly. It will look so much better then now.

Quote Originally Posted by murraydo15 View Post
    They don't have diy tutorial, i don't know why considering they are based on the gs....it seems to be a lot on the slant bikes over there.
    When you introduce yourself over at TheGSResources, there is a very pleasant fellow that gives all new comers who introduce themselves a Cheerful Welcome.

With that welcome comes a couple of links to DIY Instructionals/Service Manuals to do all your basic maintenance and clear up the known, and common, GS problems first, before you start talking Crazy Brat/Bobber/Digger/Dragbike/Hodaka Combat Wombat blah blah blah.

Read this before you write TheGSR off. CLICK -------> BassCliff's Tips

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Thank ya !

Oh.my... you just dropped a bomb with that link
    thanks !

Quote Originally Posted by Kraz1 View Post
    When you introduce yourself over at TheGSResources, there is a very pleasant fellow that gives all new comers who introduce themselves a Cheerful Welcome.

With that welcome comes a couple of links to DIY Instructionals/Service Manuals to do all your basic maintenance and clear up the known, and common, GS problems first, before you start talking Crazy Brat/Bobber/Digger/Dragbike/Hodaka Combat Wombat blah blah blah.

Read this before you write TheGSR off. CLICK -------> BassCliff's Tips

Get Adobe Flash player

Hmm the more i look at wiring diagrams i believe i can do a mod out front of Harley Davidson with the controls just more work. So at the moment im getting estimate of how much it will cost to get a custom triple tree made zoo i can run Harley Davidson front forks, wheel and brakes. Once i have that then the fun adventure of figuring out the wiring process

Get Adobe Flash player

Over the next few weeks I will be trying to simplify that wiring diagram. I dont need the neutral light etc
    Since I have a Suzuki GR 650 I'm hoping one of hose GS diagrams can be used. I'm sure they were made similar.

I sanded my front forks yesterday, ready for prime and paint. I found a serial # (marking) on them so I will do a search to see if they are infact Suzuki GS forks

- Scott

Get Adobe Flash player

Over the next few weeks I will be trying to simplify that wiring diagram. I dont need the neutral light etc
    Since I have a Suzuki GR 650 I'm hoping one of hose GS diagrams can be used. I'm sure they were made similar.

I sanded my front forks yesterday, ready for prime and paint. I found a serial # (marking) on them so I will do a search to see if they are infact Suzuki GS forks

- Scott
    Scott, if you get a nice, simplified diagram down, mind sharing it? My harness is in pretty sad shape and I'd love to make a new one.

Get Adobe Flash player

- Scott
    If you do simplfy this wiring diagram before me certainly post because the more i stare at the manual one the more i get confused...lol

Hope they are original forks if that is your goal

Get Adobe Flash player

Here is a wiring diagram of my understanding of it so far. But i still don't know where everything connects to by the battery
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20130424_113344.jpg  

Jetblack

I ran across this diagram, that might be of help to you guys it's not great quality but it should help.

Found here: http://www.thechopperunderground.com...howtopic=55186

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 80GS850GT_wiring_color.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Thanks JetBlack, that's one of the simplest ones I've seen so far.

...out of interest.... I found this pic on instagram of a gs shaft hard-tail.
    I haven't actually seen one before: http://instagram.com/p/YlMPZ8Ak5i/

Get Adobe Flash player

There are a whole bunch that are hardtailed on this site. I don't like the look of any of them to be honest. I don't think it works with shafts. Im just going to get a nice looking suspension kit for mine

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Harley Front End

Quote Originally Posted by murraydo15 View Post
    Hmm the more i look at wiring diagrams i believe i can do a mod out front of Harley Davidson with the controls just more work. So at the moment im getting estimate of how much it will cost to get a custom triple tree made zoo i can run Harley Davidson front forks, wheel and brakes. Once i have that then the fun adventure of figuring out the wiring process
    Would you mind sharing the details of what Harley front end fits on a GS frame? (years?)
    I would be really interested in doing this since I could then use all those handlebars designed for Harley triples, and replace my forks.

Here is the state of my mods so far:

Jetblack

No worries wish it was a better quality wire diagram photo for you guys.

Maybe if the swing part was frozen and some gussets that'd be a good option, but otherwise the forces as it sits above puts all the upward and downward stress right on the rear mount points and welds one or the other will fail at some point it's not a if but a when. Doesn't look safe to me at all the way it currently sits.
    Last edited by Jetblack; 11-18-2013 at 11:01 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Don't think anyone ever answered your question about switching from a shaft to chain drive but no you can't.

I have no idea were to post a question here. I need a detailed wire diagram for my 81 suzuki gs 850 I'm starting from scratch I built this bike from bare frame everything but comes to electricle I'm lost. I have all led and digital tach /speedo. Bought a shindagen 821aa regulator need help.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Marshman View Post
    I have no idea were to post a question here. I need a detailed wire diagram for my 81 suzuki gs 850 I'm starting from scratch I built this bike from bare frame everything but comes to electricle I'm lost. I have all led and digital tach /speedo. Bought a shindagen 821aa regulator need help.
    You might find something in this collection of informational resources here:

BikeCliff (a.k.a. BassCliff) owns a 1980 Suzuki GS850GT. This is a collection of maintenance pictorials that he is creating and collecting as he learns how to wrench on this vintage Universal Japanese Motorcycle.
    http://gsarchive.bwringer.com/

and here:

the new "The GSResources" website!!!
    The definitive website for Suzuki GS motorcycles
    24 years old and counting...

http://www.thegsresources.com/

Get Adobe Flash player

Get a service manual for your bike. It has stock schematics. Study wiring. Study how the electrical systems in your machine (charging, ignition) work. READ. Knowledge is power. Study wiring threads in these forums so you know what supplies and crimpers/strippers/etc to buy. Wiring isn't expensive and information is free.

Practice soldering on scrap wire. (Liquid flux is your friend.) Don't use the absurd bulky splices and lugs from the auto store. Bare connectors (crimped or soldered, either works when performed correctly) and heat shrink tubing are the way to go. Learn wiring correctly the first time and it pays off for life.

Get Adobe Flash player

Soldering is easy. The hard part is remembering to slip on a piece of shrinkwrap tube, first. haha!
    Here is a helpful little piece that's makes the soldering easier by holding your wires together. Not sure but I think Snap-on sells something like it now.

Share This