The Ultimate Sportster Question Thread. To the MAX!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sky
    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by whisky
    I'm hardtailing my 02 Sporty, looking at different oil tank options, doe's the vent HAVE to return to the tank, or can I stick a filter on it?
    I have an old brit oil tank with just an out and return...
    Yes, It has to return to the tank. Keeps tank and crankcase pressures even. otherwise pump cavitation and top end starving will be the result.
    British vs Harley oiling systems...Gerotor vs plunger type pumps and primary vs return side top end oiling.

Comment

• Sky
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by Fruttolo
      Stupid question

I switched from my oem 21mm petcock to an old style 1/4" one, with a custom turned non-conical bung welded to the tank. Now I can't for the life of me get this POS to seal. I used white teflon sealing tape, the one you use for diesel and gas pipes, but it doesn't seal. Keeps gas in for 2-3 hours, then starts leaking a bit.
      What can I use to seal it? Maybe something liquid, like insta-gasket paste? Or ptfe gel?
      Sure its leaking from the threads?
      Sure the threads match? Straight vs tapered, etc. clean up with a tap/die set
      Drain the gas and try red lock tight. Get all the teflon tape of/out first.
      Two part fuel resistant epoxies might be a solution

Comment

• Fruttolo
        • May 2016

Originally posted by Sky
        Sure its leaking from the threads?
        Sure the threads match? Straight vs tapered, etc. clean up with a tap/die set
        Drain the gas and try red lock tight. Get all the teflon tape of/out first.
        Two part fuel resistant epoxies might be a solution

Leaking from threads.
        Petcock is tapered, bung is straight. Petcocks chrome is really thick and comes away when it's threaded, so now kind of de-chromed on the threads.

Will try red locktite, no place to get epoxies here sadly
        If nothing works, I'm getting all the guts out the petcock and brazing it on lol

Comment

• TheHumbleWelder
          • Apr 2017

Got a question concerning air filter set up.
          I've got a 1250 Buell s1 Lightning engine in my bike that sucks ALOT of air. I've currently got a Mikuni HSR42 with a hammer air filter set up.
          its a massive air filter but provides good air flow.
          My question is: are there other options for me that would still provide me with good air flow and look a lot better/smaller?

Comment

• 7and7is
            • Dec 2012

velocity stack? you said flow, not filter.

Comment

• TheHumbleWelder
              • Apr 2017

haha I shoulda been more specific. I meant flilter set up.
              I was thinking a BCM filter set up, it looks awesome and seems to flow good. Never used a foam filter aside from dirtbikes tho.

Specializing in custom motorcycle parts and accessories for Chopper and Bobber motorcycles. Aftermarket parts for Harley Davidson Sportster, Triumph Bonneville, Yamaha XS 650 and many more. FREE SHIPPING ON ALL US ORDERS OVER $99!

Comment

• MilesBennettDyson
                • Sep 2015

Has anyone used 91-03 mid controls on a 86-90 4 speed evo? I bought a project bike that doesn't have any controls except for the shift lever and was thinking about getting the TC Bros kit, but I'm not familiar with the difference between the 4 and 5 speed evos

Comment

• CarbFarts
                  • Sep 2017

Mounts should be the same, I believe they just have different clevis styles.

Comment

• dirtygrotonscoundrel
                    • May 2013

They are totally different, and not even close to being the same.

You can see the 86-90 style here: 1989 XL1200 Footrests

The 91-03 are seen here: 1991 XL1200 Footrests

I have an 89 sportster and these are a pain in the ass to source unless you have a good harley junkyard near you, which luckily I had.

Pretty much if you don't have that you need to source each part individually through v-twin.

The real only other option I would recommend is send up a flag on xlforum.net. someone there should have some available.

Comment

• Airbozo
                      • Jan 2018

Tins

I am in need of a new rear fender. My bike is a 1995 XLH 1200. I am going to do some modifications on it and am having a hard time sourcing one.

Q: Will different years fit this model? Seems most are listed as 1994 to 2003 or 2004 to present. I seem to remember that one fender I used was newer, but I only had to buy the mounting parts for the seat, everything else fit. I just don't know if it was a 2004 or newer model.

Comment

• ChopperDani
                        • Apr 2016

Looking to Frisco my tank, using a brass shut off valve at the back of the tank......

Question: What do I do about the CV carb? The original petcock has vaccum lines hooked up to the CV carb. Can I delete those and cap off the tip on the Carb?

working on a 95 Sporty with a stock CV Carb

Comment

• ChopperDani
                          • Apr 2016

Well, if I had taken more time, I woudlnt of posted the question.

But just for knowledge here for everyone....

"I had a bad vacuum petcock and replaced it with a mechanical one. On the Keihin CV carb, you just cap the vacuum connector on the carb. My bike has never run "rough" with this setup."

So the Vaccum lines on the CV Carb n Petcock is a saftey feature, to shut the fuel off when the bike is off and to stop the flow to the carb just incase the bowl float doesnt properly seat.

So if you decide to run a Mechanical Valve, you have to remember to shut your fuel off when not riding, or you risk leaking fuel. the chances are slim, but thats the only thing.

So I am defently making the switch to a mechanical valve over the petcock

Comment

• afraziaaaa
                            • Jul 2012

I pulled the dual stem off of my CV carb and have the VOES going directly to the barb on the carburetor.

Comment

• boneseauc
                              • Sep 2014

Originally posted by ChopperDani
                              Well, if I had taken more time, I woudlnt of posted the question.

But just for knowledge here for everyone....

"I had a bad vacuum petcock and replaced it with a mechanical one. On the Keihin CV carb, you just cap the vacuum connector on the carb. My bike has never run "rough" with this setup."

So the Vaccum lines on the CV Carb n Petcock is a saftey feature, to shut the fuel off when the bike is off and to stop the flow to the carb just incase the bowl float doesnt properly seat.

So if you decide to run a Mechanical Valve, you have to remember to shut your fuel off when not riding, or you risk leaking fuel. the chances are slim, but thats the only thing.

So I am defently making the switch to a mechanical valve over the petcock
                              Unless I'm mistaken and things are different on the earlier models, the VOES interacts with the ignition. Sounds like some people can get it to run fine fully bypassing it, but the general consensus is to leave it all hooked up.

This wiring thread has good info on it: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/search...archid=2241617

Comment

• Vinson
                                • Jun 2012

Originally posted by boneseauc
                                Unless I'm mistaken and things are different on the earlier models, the VOES interacts with the ignition. Sounds like some people can get it to run fine fully bypassing it, but the general consensus is to leave it all hooked up.

This wiring thread has good info on it: http://www.chopcult.com/forum/search...archid=2241617
                                ChopperDani is referring to removing the factory vacuum petcock that shares the same port as the VOES. Not deleting the VOES itself. The vacuum petcocks the factory uses are a high failure rate item in my experience.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;