The Ultimate Sportster Question Thread. To the MAX!

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GaryC58
    • Oct 2010

Ironhead VIN question

I did a search,but didn't see this particular scenario mentioned.
    Engine in question is purported to be a 1979 Ironhead.
    Question that arises is this-is there ever a scenario when multiple numbers are on an engine,and it is somehow kosher?Or is this always a red flag of illegal tampering?
    Here's the deal with the numbers-
    The top one is Star 7FXXXXXH8 Star. (yes there are numbers instead of X's).
    This number has been dashed totally across it's length as if it had been deleted.
    Right under this number there is another one,which is Star 3AXXXXXH9 Star.

Best I can tell,the top 7F would have been a 1978 XLCR,and the bottom 3A would have been a 1979 XLH.

Is there any sensible,legal way this could have come to pass?

Thanks for any words of wisdom.

Comment

• LivingCanvas
      • Mar 2024

Originally posted by Motorradfahrer
      That's it. Thank you!
      Ben, the more I look at the original pic, it looks like zero stretch, which is more like the original KR. You'll have to check on that with the sporty specialties one. If its zero stretch your golden. Being as that is a Japanese built bike, they probably went one of two ways (if they didnt just buy it that way). As we know, the Japanese are ok with scouring the globe and finding an original. They are also very good at taking readily available things, and extensively modifying them to give the perfect look, while doing it in a way that looks factory

Comment

• Huero
        • Mar 2011

Put a pic of the numbers up so we can see if they are legit MoCo numbers or aftermarket stamped. I've never heard of 2 sets of numbers on a case above/below each other and I know most states say that if any set of numbers are altered it would prompt a number search for stolen goods.

That's unless you're CRFyou...he'd get CA DMW to issue him two titles, 1 for each set of digits.

Comment

• LivingCanvas
          • Mar 2024

Ok after a bit of research, the sporty specialties has 4" stretch. But John Penner makes a replica KR tail more like the original with zero

Comment

• wardan123
            • Sep 2009

I got one for my '75 and really like it.
            Attached Files

Comment

• jollyroger
              • Jun 2010

How rare are the '80 XL's with '79 Cases?

The 1979 model year was the last that ironheads came with kickstarters, and almost everywhere I read, anything beyond '79 and you're fucked unless you want to do some drilling into the cases.

But then I did a little more digging and found out that some early 1980 models actually have the whole in the case drilled out and plugged for a kickstart setup, but no 1980 ironheads actually came with kickstarts. I understand that these are leftover '79 cases used on '80 bikes.

I looked into my bike and sure enough it has the plug, so I will be putting a kicker on it very soon. I just wonder: how rare is this? Where there a few hundred, thousand, billion of these oddity bikes? Was it actually more common to have a leftover '79 case than it was to have a "true" '80 case?

Anybody care?

Comment

• jorgun
                • Oct 2012

Far as I know all 80 cases are all drilled for a kicker but plugged. With the 79's the last year for kickers the rear master cylinder is mounted high to clear the kicker which is the reason their rear pipes have the funky jog in them. Factory exhaust were siamese pipes. In 80 the master cylinder was lowered which allows all pipes from 57 to 85 to fit. Factory exhaust became staggered duals. So 81 and up they never drilled the cases. Sorry about getting off track. But as far as I know all 80XL's were drilled and plugged. But I could be wrong.

Comment

• jollyroger
                  • Jun 2010

That's definitely possible.

Why do you think then that most suppliers say that it can't be done for the '80 bikes, instead of saying that it requires more to do it?

Too many pissed off customers maybe? It's been a while, but most often, the answer I see is that the '80's cases have the spot for the hole to be drilled, but not actually drilled.

Comment

• jorgun
                    • Oct 2012

Well I've got an 81 I bought new and wanted a kicker. That's when I was told the 80's were drilled and plugged and they did nothing to 81's. I also think I remember something about a bushing that has to be pressed in. Not sure memories a little faulty any more. Too many years of going ONWARD THOUGH THE FOG!! Now it's all starting to be a fog!!

Comment

• JohnnyRainbow
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by LivingCanvas
                      Ben, the more I look at the original pic, it looks like zero stretch, which is more like the original KR. You'll have to check on that with the sporty specialties one. If its zero stretch your golden. Being as that is a Japanese built bike, they probably went one of two ways (if they didnt just buy it that way). As we know, the Japanese are ok with scouring the globe and finding an original. They are also very good at taking readily available things, and extensively modifying them to give the perfect look, while doing it in a way that looks factory
                      Little Wing was built in Japan. Dude has a blog, I read it all the way to the beginning a while back, which was no small task as there were tons of entries and even more pictures of noodles and stuff. That bike gets ridden and parked outside.

I'll see if I can find his blog again.

Comment

• GaryC58
                        • Oct 2010

Pic
                        Attached Files

Comment

• Stadger
                          • Jan 2012

The cafe racer did not sell well back then. My guess is that the factory took that engine that was destined to be a cafe and just rebadged it for use in a better selling model. The numbers look fine to me. I wouldn't sweat it. It IS quite a conversation piece though!

Comment

• Stlmikie
                            • Jan 2013

Factory did it. Your in good shape.

Comment

• Motorradfahrer
                              • Aug 2009

Originally posted by LivingCanvas
                              Ok after a bit of research, the sporty specialties has 4" stretch. But John Penner makes a replica KR tail more like the original with zero
                              Thank you for the info. I'll probably contact John Penner regarding his replica since I don't want to add length to my bike.

Originally posted by wardan123
                              I got one for my '75 and really like it.
                              You have the Sporty Specialties version or the John Penner version? The picture you posted is small; it's hard to get a good look at your bike.

Originally posted by JohnnyRainbow
                              Little Wing was built in Japan. Dude has a blog, I read it all the way to the beginning a while back, which was no small task as there were tons of entries and even more pictures of noodles and stuff. That bike gets ridden and parked outside.

I'll see if I can find his blog again.
                              Please post a link to his blog. I'd love to look at it before I make any changes to my bike. Thank you.
                              Last edited by Motorradfahrer; 03-14-2013, 10:49 AM. Reason: added another question

Comment

• concrete72
                                • Jan 2013

87 sportster idle adjust engine vibes

I adjusted my idle down a bit, and it seemed to be good. More relaxed at stops etc, but I noticed the engine seemed to vibrate a lot worse. It felt like the front end was just heavy vibes on foot pegs, and bars at certain rpm points. I don't have a tach. Prior to adjusting, I would have to roll the throttle up to lower the idle at stops, but the engine was smooth(er).

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;