CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 39 First 123412 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default How rare are the '80 XL's with '79 Cases?

The 1979 model year was the last that ironheads came with kickstarters, and almost everywhere I read, anything beyond '79 and you're fucked unless you want to do some drilling into the cases.

But then I did a little more digging and found out that some early 1980 models actually have the whole in the case drilled out and plugged for a kickstart setup, but no 1980 ironheads actually came with kickstarts. I understand that these are leftover '79 cases used on '80 bikes.

I looked into my bike and sure enough it has the plug, so I will be putting a kicker on it very soon. I just wonder: how rare is this? Where there a few hundred, thousand, billion of these oddity bikes? Was it actually more common to have a leftover '79 case than it was to have a "true" '80 case?

Anybody care?

Get Adobe Flash player

Far as I know all 80 cases are all drilled for a kicker but plugged. With the 79's the last year for kickers the rear master cylinder is mounted high to clear the kicker which is the reason their rear pipes have the funky jog in them. Factory exhaust were siamese pipes. In 80 the master cylinder was lowered which allows all pipes from 57 to 85 to fit. Factory exhaust became staggered duals. So 81 and up they never drilled the cases. Sorry about getting off track. But as far as I know all 80XL's were drilled and plugged. But I could be wrong.

Get Adobe Flash player

That's definitely possible.

Why do you think then that most suppliers say that it can't be done for the '80 bikes, instead of saying that it requires more to do it?

Too many pissed off customers maybe? It's been a while, but most often, the answer I see is that the '80's cases have the spot for the hole to be drilled, but not actually drilled.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well I've got an 81 I bought new and wanted a kicker. That's when I was told the 80's were drilled and plugged and they did nothing to 81's. I also think I remember something about a bushing that has to be pressed in. Not sure memories a little faulty any more. Too many years of going ONWARD THOUGH THE FOG!! Now it's all starting to be a fog!!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by LivingCanvas View Post
    Ben, the more I look at the original pic, it looks like zero stretch, which is more like the original KR. You'll have to check on that with the sporty specialties one. If its zero stretch your golden. Being as that is a Japanese built bike, they probably went one of two ways (if they didnt just buy it that way). As we know, the Japanese are ok with scouring the globe and finding an original. They are also very good at taking readily available things, and extensively modifying them to give the perfect look, while doing it in a way that looks factory
    Little Wing was built in Japan. Dude has a blog, I read it all the way to the beginning a while back, which was no small task as there were tons of entries and even more pictures of noodles and stuff. That bike gets ridden and parked outside.

I'll see if I can find his blog again.

Get Adobe Flash player

Pic
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ironhead VIN 4mod.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

The cafe racer did not sell well back then. My guess is that the factory took that engine that was destined to be a cafe and just rebadged it for use in a better selling model. The numbers look fine to me. I wouldn't sweat it. It IS quite a conversation piece though!

Get Adobe Flash player

Factory did it. Your in good shape.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by LivingCanvas View Post
    Ok after a bit of research, the sporty specialties has 4" stretch. But John Penner makes a replica KR tail more like the original with zero
    Thank you for the info. I'll probably contact John Penner regarding his replica since I don't want to add length to my bike.

Quote Originally Posted by wardan123
    I got one for my '75 and really like it.
    You have the Sporty Specialties version or the John Penner version? The picture you posted is small; it's hard to get a good look at your bike.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyRainbow View Post
    Little Wing was built in Japan. Dude has a blog, I read it all the way to the beginning a while back, which was no small task as there were tons of entries and even more pictures of noodles and stuff. That bike gets ridden and parked outside.

I'll see if I can find his blog again.
    Please post a link to his blog. I'd love to look at it before I make any changes to my bike. Thank you.
    Last edited by Motorradfahrer; 03-14-2013 at 10:49 AM. Reason: added another question

Get Adobe Flash player

Default 87 sportster idle adjust engine vibes

I adjusted my idle down a bit, and it seemed to be good. More relaxed at stops etc, but I noticed the engine seemed to vibrate a lot worse. It felt like the front end was just heavy vibes on foot pegs, and bars at certain rpm points. I don't have a tach. Prior to adjusting, I would have to roll the throttle up to lower the idle at stops, but the engine was smooth(er).

Get Adobe Flash player

Default The Ultimate Sportster Question Thread. To the MAX!

Another area that is creating a ton of threads...

Have a question about a Sportster part? Don't feel like using Google?

Then, post in here. I'll google stuff for you so the forums stay cleaner.

Not every question about where to get an air filter or bars needs a dedicated thread.

Get it?

Plus dudes will come in here and answer questions for you.

How super cool to the max!

Get Adobe Flash player

Dude....

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Acosi151 View Post
    Dude....

Sorry brah.

I'm a motivated recruit and I'm gonna get all these boots to fall into formation so they're not marching about the parade deck like nasty things.

Get Adobe Flash player

I like the idea. Kind of a sportsterpedia.

Get Adobe Flash player

Why are sportster motorbikes so much fun?

Get Adobe Flash player

Ok... how can I get my 883 to do wheelies? I'm talkin' mile-long, tire-smoking, panty-dropping wheelies. Anything less and you're a sissy.

Get Adobe Flash player

If an Amish man were to ride a Sporty, would it be called a Mennonightster?

Get Adobe Flash player

This site has gone from "Chop Cult" to "Jump on the Sportster Hater Bandwagon Cult"

As if the other sections are any better..."hay broz eyem havin problums wit mah DOHC 750 chopper long bike yo"

PS, CRFyou for Prez!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Pendulum View Post
    Ok... how can I get my 883 to do wheelies? I'm talkin' mile-long, tire-smoking, panty-dropping wheelies. Anything less and you're a sissy.
    You need to put your weight as far back as you can. Pull the clutch lever in, and stomp nike into first like it owes you money.

Rack up the throttle until you bounce off the rev limiter for a few seconds and let go of the clutch like it has AIDS (it does). Ride that wheelie to the next jamboree.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Evidence View Post
    This site has gone from "Chop Cult" to "Jump on the Sportster Hater Bandwagon Cult"

As if the other sections are any better..."hay broz eyem havin problums wit mah DOHC 750 chopper long bike yo"

PS, CRFyou for Prez!
    I'm not moderating the Japanese section.

I don't hate sportsters at all.

The purpose of this forum is for inspiration and showing builds and builders. Beginner sportster dudes can still get down here, just not to the point of overwhelming the American section.

If there's a problem, yo, I'll solve it.

Share This