CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 6 of 6 First ... 456

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

BA International Studies - Russian Language (Norwich University)
    JD Harvard Law School

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by farmall View Post
    Started Mechanical Engineering at Stevens Tech but wanted to see more of the world and enlisted. Realized nothing I was likely to do would be recession-proof (suburban light manufacturing was fading in the late 1970s) so enlisted and retired at 47. Took various community college courses in welding and machining for fun but I only entered the degree program to get them paid for. May resume (its fun and I've also worked and volunteered there) if back surgery lets me have a sleep schedule again.

What are community colleges charging for courses in welding? If you don't mind me asking.

Get Adobe Flash player

High schools with shops around here charge about $700 all in. I think it is 8 to 10 weeks plus materials.
    Continuing adult-ed

Get Adobe Flash player

Like Hogshead I went right into the service after high school. ( Actually dropped out my Sr year and recorded one of the highest scores of my "class" in taking my GED when I enlisted ).

After I got out I tried two years of Psychology, realized they were all full of shit, then moved over to Computer Integrated Manufacturing. This was back in the early days of the PC revolution when Arcnet and Token Ring were king and Novell was just starting to popularize Netware.

The problem then, as it is now, is that technology was changing faster than the colleges could create curriculum. BUT, it did give me enough to get my foot in the door and allowed me a great working career, where I spent a lot of time wiring up factories so their CNC machine tools could talk to their CAD departments. It was all good at least until I got into Sr management at which point every day pretty much sucked, lol. All of it resulted in a decent retirement.

There are some jobs where you do need a formal education. I have a daughter and son-in-law who are both in the medical field and would not want either working on me without an advanced degree, ( Masters for her, PHD/MD for him ).

When I was a hiring manager a college degree told me two things, 1) you are capable of doing something for 2 or 4 years, and 2) you probably know how to work with others. Besides that you probably partied your ass of with the best. And I would hire a honorably discharged vet before a college kid any day of the week.

I finish with a Computer Science degree and I enjoy what I do in life now.

Get Adobe Flash player

When I was younger I enrolled in a bunch of em. Can't say I even really went though

Get Adobe Flash player

I graduated three times between 1966 and 1969 from Oklahoma State University School of Technical Training.They didn't call it an accociates degree back then] all I got was a certificate of completion. Can't remember being out of work more than a couple of days until I retired. After retiring I work alot more and harder and the Union retirement supports the toys!
    Life is good!
    Dusty

l

BrandonCooper

Very high-quality content and useful information that is very necessary for creating blogs and writing term papers and essays can always be obtained using the service https://papernow.org/ because here they can help you with any false task.

Get Adobe Flash player

I went to college a few years but only for drinking and chasing pussy.

BA in computer science. I am now a welder/fabricator. I wasn’t able to intern for 4 years because I don’t live off mommy and daddy’s trust fund like the rest of the computer science majors did. I also put myself through college and worked full time. If I could do it over I would have just bought more choppers.

Share This