MAKING DAYTONA NOT SUCK or (DAYTONA FROM THE BOTTOM UP)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eloso
    • Apr 2012

MAKING DAYTONA NOT SUCK or (DAYTONA FROM THE BOTTOM UP)

Over the years I have attended Daytona Bike week on and off, the reasons it was "on and off" are simple "Bike Week" can be more work than fun and some years it was hard to justify the $ spent. So recently I started to think how can I fix both these problems, basically how do I make it "not suck" so much and make more like the adventures we had there when I was younger... honestly I have had it with 10 days of crowds, RV's, Trikes, traffic, fat chick's, douche-bags and general bs at accompanies an event of this size.

Being that I like to come up with creative solutions for stuff like this, I got to brian storming with my bro Scott who was planning on going south to get out of the snow and ride as he just happend to vacation time booked during bike week... We cooked up a crazy plan to ride 1315 miles in one shot or as close to it as we could manage... riding from Ohio to Keywest Florida, the most southern point in the USA dam near half way to Cuba (I never realized how far out into the ocean you can ride!) Then slowly work our way back to Bike week for the highlights and best of the event.

More importantly we are doing this old school with a strict budget of $50 a day each for gas food and lodging. Our goal is to prove it don't take a fat wallet to live the life it just takes guts. Sleeping on the side of the road on Alligator alley may not be a good idea, but cooking on the open fire and living in our filth for days at a time is part of the adventure. This format is easier on the pocket and speaking from experience it tends to get us in trouble, or fun but usually a little of both and it defiantly leads to better post ride tales.

I'm not planning this as a run or sanctioned event, but I will be posting our departure and our where abouts on social media so feel free to try an bump into us. I'm sure we will meet up with interesting folks along the way as we always do, its the way of the road.

We are planning to throw a party at a Daytona bar one night and I'll post which one soon.

This May not be everyones idea of how to do Daytona right, but its my idea of how to get my knees out in the breeze with ocean on both sides of the road seeing a unique stretch of American highway and riding with an old friend. The best part is I still get to do the "work" part of the event, networking with folks we do business with and generating some event coverage. See you on the road.

Who else is attending Daytona Trike and Rv week err opps I mean Daytona Bike Week?

-Bear

Last edited by Bear; 02-25-2013, 11:09 AM.
  • bonesxl1100
    • Oct 2010

I rode the keys a few years ago. It's a beautiful ride. Traffic can suck sometimes as a lot of it is single lane. And don't speed. Cops WILL pull you're asses over. Can't comment on the Daytona thing as I've never been and really have no desire to go. Have fun

Comment

• ragnarok
      • Jan 2011

that is a really fresh idea but i think i'd rather spend 15 days in a burn unit again then a week at "bike week" in daytona

Comment

• DirtyCracker
        • Apr 2024

fuck bike week...

the way i make bike week not suck is by stayin the fuck home.i live in jacksonville, only 90 miles from daytona and you couldnt pay me to go.

Comment

• GB
          • Sep 2012

$50/day...? Do the math.

5 gallons of gas @ $4/gal = $20 per tankful, @40mpg = 200 miles, so $50/day = 500 miles per day with nothing left for food.

And Key West ain't cheap. Captive audience; with everything trucked in from the mainland.

Lived in KW for 2 years late '60s, been back x 3, and went to Daytona bike week each time, most recently '91 or '92. No place to sleep outside in KW, cops put the run on everyone due to the number of dirtbags living in the bushes. Not to mention the spiders and snakes...

Daytona was more fun the further you got from the beach...
          Last edited by GB; 02-25-2013, 6:56 AM.

Comment

• Eloso
            • Apr 2012

YES I AGREE BIKE WEEK CAN SUCK thats why I'm doing it like this... and trying to un fuck the event.

Let me address some of the concerns.

The run up 1 onto the Keys is about 100 miles we are staying one night in Keywest then turing around and riding out. Its about seeing the scenery (noted on the speeding and pigs and such)

We have no intention of sleeping on the road side on the or in rest areas on the 1 and we have a half dozen back up "free" places to stay and continue to score back yards to pitch tent on the mainland.

For the gas milage argument... there are 419 mile between Key west and Daytona? We are booking it 1315 miles to Keywest in one shot (Red bull and candy bars 18 hours of riding) Admittedly the one night in Keywest we might bust the $50 a day each but for the rest of Bike Week should not be a problem. I'll also say this; free beds and meals abound when you play professional vagabond properly.

I guess it all depends on how you read this one, the fact is I have to go to meet up with people we do biz with and to cover Willies bike show for a Chop Cult feature and this seemed like the best way to make this Daytona not not feel like work.

The point of trying to do this on a budget is to disarm the idea the you have to spend $3000 to have a good time in Daytona. I will report back success or fail.

Positive vibes dudes!

-Bear
            Last edited by Bear; 02-25-2013, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• me
              • Dec 2009

I actually like bike week. the crowds can be fun to show off the scoot, some of the events like willies tattoo, limp nickie lot, some flat track racing, and hell...I even like sitting on main street with a cigar and watching all the crazyness. Its fun! Your idea sounds like a lot of fun man! Have a great time! Maybe I'll run into you there

Comment

• Valvesprung
                • Dec 2011

Sounds like ana awesome way to burn up some sun/gas/time. money to me. Being from the extreme other end of the country, I doubt Bike Week will be a destination I'll hit up soon, but from what I've seen, I think you're doing it just right!

Comment

• Eloso
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by me
                  I actually like bike week. the crowds can be fun to show off the scoot, some of the events like willies tattoo, limp nickie lot, some flat track racing, and hell...I even like sitting on main street with a cigar and watching all the crazyness. Its fun! Your idea sounds like a lot of fun man! Have a great time! Maybe I'll run into you there
                  Great some one else that gets it, with 5 or 6 negative posts in a row I thought this thread was doomed. I agree on Willies show and Limp Nickie Lot, they are 2 of our stops for sure. This is about doing the best parts of Bike Week and seeing if we can make it fun again, its like one night on main street is cool but not 10 days of crazy.

I think its gona work, but then again I'm the guy that is smiling from ear to ear in the pouring rain. The question is your tank half empty of half full?

-Bear
                  Last edited by Bear; 02-25-2013, 10:47 AM.

Comment

• ARBY
                    • Apr 2024

I'm not going and it's only about a 3 hour ride for me!

Comment

• AnthonyN
                      • Oct 2012

I've never been there, but hell I'll try anything once. No matter how crazy, awesome, or even lame bike week could be, its all about the ride there and back....the adventure of hitting the open road with your bros. How could a large group of like minded people all having a good time be that bad. I agree with ME, I think sitting on my bike watching the crowds go by sounds like its worth the entire trip there. No matter where i go, I know I can find the good times, and I'm sure you could too.

Comment

• capnfred
                        • Jun 2012

Don't know if the Ga. cops are doing this year but in years past they have set up MC checkpt. just before the Fl. line busting riders, also when you get down to homestead, look for the card sound route, its a nice ride, and just at the foot of the bridge there is a great waterfront bar/rest. Forget the name, but it cannot be missed, good luck have a safe trip...I go to Leesburg Bikefest rather than Daytona....very spread out, lots to do....and they like bikers...we got $$$ and spend it and they know it.... Last week of April, so its to far in the futre to inclde it in your trek.

Comment

• GB
                          • Sep 2012

Don't get me wrong; everyone should experience the ride themselves, just be realistic about it. Even in the early nineties the budget was $100/day/person. But we like to party with strippers...

Good luck & have fun.

Comment

• Allen
                            • Apr 2024

Win or Fail, I give Eloso a nod for trying to make something more out of something that (evidently) sucks. Having never been, I'll keep my trap shut on the "Bike Week" itself... except to say the attraction of the ride presented seems a whole lot more "attractive" a week or so after bike week and the $tourist$ inflation has bottomed out in the local communities and I wouldn't have to see so many dudes sweating in leather pants (?).

Go for it. When it's said and done, post up some pics! Extra mileage points for the sweaty dudes I mentioned too... he he!

Comment

• 904Punk
                              • Jun 2012

Look for me there, I'll be the guy riding shirtless with leather pants...

For real though, the rest if the trip sounds like a good time, I love nice long rides using minimal cash.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;