EFI Sportster 48 to Carb Conversion Pros and Cons?

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Trippster48
    • Dec 2012

EFI Sportster 48 to Carb Conversion Pros and Cons?

Well im just about bought into swapping to carbs and scrapping a HUGE heap of wires on my bike. I plan on going hardtail next winter and want to eliminate all of the extra junk that comes with an EFI sportster.

What I wanted to know is if this is a good idea. I heard that the low idle doesnt distribute oil very well and could kill your motor, and Ive also heard its a lot better way to tune your bike in instead of messing with fuel maps. What do you all have to say?
  • HRK123
    • Mar 2012

Going carbed and having a low idle are not related. You can SET a lower idle with a carb, but why would you? Keep the idle at the same number as you currently have, and the method of induction is irrelevant.

That aside, I just converted my Twin-Cam and it runs great:
    Been working on this bike for the last year or so while riding it, but this winter I decided to go bigger. It started life as a '10 Crossbones. This is what it looked like at the end of last riding season: Sporty tank, bobbed rear fender, forward controls, relocated switches, all sorts of little things. I also put

"Better" way to tune your bike depends on who's tuning it. You can get much more accurate fuel delivery amounts with fuel injection because it adjusts every millisecond to outside temperature, air pressure, elevation, etc. but in reality, riding down the road, you won't likely notice a difference between the two unless you climb a 10,000 foot mountain and don't richen your carburetor. The argument of which one is "better" could go on for 100 pages, but both carbs and injection have been used for DECADES each, and each has worked well when tuned properly. I would say mine runs better, sounds better, and has more pull switching to carb, just because it's getting more fuel. The stock injection maps from Harley are anemic for emissions.

I've heard that the sportsters are easier to convert than the twin-cams just because more people have done them. I think there's more info out there for sporty's also.
    Last edited by HRK123; 02-12-2013, 9:33 PM.

Comment

• daroberts3
      • Dec 2012

What will you use for ignition? Enlighten me , as I have not seen anything on the market for that engine. You will still have lots of wires if you use a stock carbureted harness.
      Leave it alone, you will ruin the bike.

Comment

• MercuryMoto67
        • Mar 2011

Geeze. Sour Sally over here... Take it easy.

There's 2 aftermarket ignitions that come to mind. The thunder heart and the one from Germany are the 2 I've heard of. I've seen the German one and its incredibly simple. The whole bike runs on like 6 wires and is tuneable right there with 3 little knobs. The box itself is about as big as a cigarette box. Super cool set up.

Comment

• Jackster
          • Jun 2010

Altmann AMM-P

Comment

• MercuryMoto67
            • Mar 2011

Yeah! That's the one. I'd buy it for my carbed sporty just for the simplicity of it! Just spendy though...

Comment

• Jackster
              • Jun 2010

Originally posted by MercuryMoto67
              Yeah! That's the one. I'd buy it for my carbed sporty just for the simplicity of it! Just spendy though...
              Most German things are, but they last forever.

Comment

• Trippster48
                • Dec 2012

Originally posted by daroberts3
                What will you use for ignition? Enlighten me , as I have not seen anything on the market for that engine. You will still have lots of wires if you use a stock carbureted harness.
                Leave it alone, you will ruin the bike.
                If I had this mentality, I would never learn anything. And if you are wondering, I plan on running without a Speedo, turn signals, and hard wiring my brights and whatever I can do to get it to bare minimum.

Here a link to a thread on subtracting almost all of the EFI's wiring harness:
                i liked my bike the way it was but i have never been one to leave anything alone. after smokeout and seeing no efi, rubbermount sportsters that were hardtailed, i decided to go ahead and cut into mine. plans are pretty simple, drop seat hand made hardtail, keep the efi, keep the rubbermount. this is only my second build, my

I hope to try and follow down that road but in the end, Id like to be running a carb, a plug in for reading codes, and lights.

This is how she sits right now. I have a lot of plans for it. I won't ever sell this bike and I have a vision in my head of what I want so thats why I wanted to know what you guys who know what they are doing think about the idea.

Comment

• Trippster48
                  • Dec 2012

I checked out that ignition:

It sounds like the bike can run without the stock harness.

Comment

• MercuryMoto67
                    • Mar 2011

You are correct. You can rewire your whole bike with scraps of wires. Maybe not in the literal term, but very little wiring. I think the only sensor you'll need to keep is the crank sensor. Could be wrong though. I didn't read their site. :/

Comment

• Jeffy
                      • Apr 2010

I think the bikes already ruined so go for it! Hahaha j/k but I know where your at 08 nightster and everybody thinks its some 60s junker that I pieced together. The look on their face when I tell em what year it is is priceless.

Comment

• Trippster48
                        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Jeffy
                        I think the bikes already ruined so go for it! Hahaha j/k but I know where your at 08 nightster and everybody thinks its some 60s junker that I pieced together. The look on their face when I tell em what year it is is priceless.
                        Dude we are in the same boat haha. I LOVE MY BIKE more than good sex and a juicy steak. It is one muddy, thrashed, sick bike pieced together from parts I can get my hands on (like parts off my '80 honda). But its my bike and I don't care how many times I get sneered at or talked down to by an H-D PROUD OWNER FOR 25 YEARS, I will still signal the bird and ride anyways. That being said, it is for sure going through puberty. Lack of time, a new apartment, and a 300 dollar speeding ticket will all three contribute to some work being pushed back on the bike haha. Thank you for the kind words btw Keep rockin it buddy

Comment

• Trippster48
                          • Dec 2012

Originally posted by MercuryMoto67
                          You are correct. You can rewire your whole bike with scraps of wires. Maybe not in the literal term, but very little wiring. I think the only sensor you'll need to keep is the crank sensor. Could be wrong though. I didn't read their site. :/
                          Do you have any idea where I could find a diagram to give me an idea of how to run two separate circuits like that? just curious, if not I will search around.

Comment

• MercuryMoto67
                            • Mar 2011

Separate circuits? Use a fuse block. Or breakers... Whatever you'd like. The ignition module is just that. You run everything off the fuses, including the ignition.

Comment

• Jackster
                              • Jun 2010

Yeah with the Altmann, you need the CPS, but aside from that it's pretty effing minimal!

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;