CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 2 of 3 First 123 Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by MercuryMoto67 View Post
    Yes... There are. I listed them earlier. C'mon. Look up thunder heart ignition. I've never used it or seen it, but its cheaper.
    Sorry, I'm on chop cult on my phone. I must have not seen the post. I will look it up, thanks for the guidance.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Incrediblah View Post
    I'd say most of those crazy people would just rather buy a slightly older carbed sporty for 1/3 the price of a new one, and use all the extra cash to make it your own. None of the sporty models are so radically different in style, that you couldn't recreate it yourself. Why bother buying an EFI bike if you're just gonna revert to a carb? To each his own I guess.
    I guess I didn't let you in on what I actually paid for the bike. Roughly about $800 out of pocket. Yes I said 800. I had a half finished bobber project, a CM400, about a year and a half ago. I ride it to work every day where all my coworkers would bash on my little bike. When we went to the gas station to fuel up the work trucks one day, there was a little box on the table that said something about winning a bike. Everyone signed up then told me to do the same. Four months later after I forgot about the whole thing, I get a call while strapping on my helmet to ride to class. The lady asked me if I would like to claim my prize: a 2011 sportster 48. I got the bike a few months later in november, inthe rain and rode it untill I was soaked to the bone. After a while it dawned on me that I just got a bike for as much as I had invested in my honda. So I decided to start a build with it. Out will be slow and steady since I dont have a shop and im trying to finish college. Almost all of the work done on the bike has been done strapped in k of my truck going from garage to garage. I'm 21 and this is my first harley and second road bike. I grew up on two strokes been riding 16 years and alls I think about is bikes. So since I don't know much about harleys let alone the new bikes, I want to convert to carbbecause I grew up on two strokes and value the simplicity. I wouldn't do it any other way.
    Last edited by Trippster48; 02-13-2013 at 1:17 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Trippster48 View Post
    I guess I didn't let you in on what I actually paid for the bike. Roughly about $800 out of pocket. Yes I said 800. I had a half finished bobber project, a CM400, about a year and a half ago. I ride it to work every day where all my coworkers would bash on my little bike. When we went to the gas station to fuel up the work trucks one day, there was a little box on the table that said something about winning a bike. Everyone signed up then told me to do the same. Four months later after I forgot about the whole thing, I get a call while strapping on my helmet to ride to class. The lady asked me if I would like to claim my prize: a 2011 sportster 48. I got the bike a few months later in november, inthe rain and rode it untill I was soaked to the bone. After a while it dawned on me that I just got a bike for as much as I had invested in my honda. So I decided to start a build with it. Out will be slow and steady since I dont have a shop and im trying to finish college. Almost all of the work done on the bike has been done strapped in k of my truck going from garage to garage. I'm 21 and this is my first harley and second road bike. I grew up on two strokes been riding 16 years and alls I think about is bikes. So since I don't know much about harleys let alone the new bikes, I want to convert to carbbecause I grew up on two strokes and value the simplicity. I wouldn't do it any other way.
    That's awesome man. I wasn't raggin' on your bike at all. I may have not worded my response the way I meant it. I was simply saying that I don't think you see as many newer bikes being torn up, because I assume most people who are into chopping stuff up, wouldn't see a brand new bike as the best "blank canvas".

Quote Originally Posted by HRK123
    Why bother doing anything custom if you can just go out and buy a bike someone else chopped? Because it's fucking fun and challenging, that's why. This is chop cult, right?
    I didn't tell him to go buy a pre-chopped bike. He made a comment about the lack of people hacking up new bikes. My 2 cents on the matter, was that it's not the ideal starting block. That's all. By all means, switch to carb and chop away. Pardon the slight derail.

Get Adobe Flash player

I didn't tell him to go buy a pre-chopped bike. He made a comment about the lack of people hacking up new bikes. My 2 cents on the matter, was that it's not the ideal starting block. That's all. By all means, switch to carb and chop away. Pardon the slight derail.
    I was just using that as an analogy, I get that shit all the time with my bike so it was more of a general statement using your post as a reference than particularly directed at you. Carry on!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by HRK123 View Post
    Why bother doing anything custom if you can just go out and buy a bike someone else chopped? Because it's fucking fun and challenging, that's why. This is chop cult, right?

Regarding the ignition and wiring questions above, I used the Thunder Heart. Just a few wires and it installed no problem. Comes with it's own coil, I'd guess you could also use the Harley coil. For the price of that German unit I did the entire swap with the Thunder Heart, including the cost of the intake and carb. No idea on longevity, but I've read threads on them and guys have been using them for years with no problem. I think all of the Big Dog bikes came with them. Not that this counts for much, but those guys don't seem to be having any ignition issues.

For wiring, I did my own harness from scratch. I think I'm using 4 fuses and 2 breakers for the whole bike. I ripped out the entire stock harness and built my own. If you get a good chopper wiring diagram and adapt it where needed, it's not too difficult.
    That's great to hear man, I think I will probably shoot for the same setup. I should have 1k for the swap meet in Des Moines this weekend and am hoping to find a carb and a few other miscs.

Get Adobe Flash player

That's awesome man. I wasn't raggin' on your bike at all. I may have not worded my response the way I meant it. I was simply saying that I don't think you see as many newer bikes being torn up, because I assume most people who are into chopping stuff up, wouldn't see a brand new bike as the best "blank canvas".

No offense was taken. The only way you would offend me is if you were to kick the big lady off her kickstand haha im too happy to get stirred up. And yeah totally makes sense why people wouldn't chop a new bike like this, Guess the noob gets to be a pioneer in a sense

Get Adobe Flash player

Ok, so I am slightly enlightened. Never heard of that crazy expensive German ignition. Now, enlighten me again. The Thunder Heart system appears to be for TC88 only. Do they have an XL specific unit?
    It would be more challenging to run the EFI and hide all the wiring and sensors. Most people ditch the EFI cause they don't understand it. It works better than carburetors.

Get Adobe Flash player

Heres the "wiring diagram"
    http://www.thunder-heart.com/Tech%20...DFs/EI5012.pdf

Im using this on my 08 nightster, I got a CV carb off a 96 touring bike.

Used an intake manifold from an 04-06 sortster, tapped and plugged the hole the sensor sits in and used the stock flanges that were already on my bike. fit up pretty nicely! I still need to run the ignition still. You do use your crank sensor and your voltage regulator, obviously. I ripped out all of my wiring. ECM, TSSM, 02 Sensors etc.. The only other wires Ill have aside from the ones for the ignition will be for my headlight and taillamp. Im gonna hit up Rene again about getting a set of pipes and ditch these damn V&H that everyone seems to have..

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by daroberts3 View Post
    Ok, so I am slightly enlightened. Never heard of that crazy expensive German ignition. Now, enlighten me again. The Thunder Heart system appears to be for TC88 only. Do they have an XL specific unit?
    It would be more challenging to run the EFI and hide all the wiring and sensors. Most people ditch the EFI cause they don't understand it. It works better than carburetors.
    Been done - CosmoKramer has one of the cleanest EFI Sporties around, real subtle but tasty. Ran all the wiring inside the frame. I'd love to see the next logical step, done to a scoot that's cut up a little more.

I think the trade-off with carb vs. EFI is pretty straight-forward. Carbs are simpler, and if you know what you're doing, you can tweak them relatively easily without a lot of expense. EFI is more complicated, but if you have the resources you can get a far better tune.

My $.02 anyway,

-m

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Danoh View Post
    Heres the "wiring diagram"
    http://www.thunder-heart.com/Tech%20...DFs/EI5012.pdf

Im using this on my 08 nightster, I got a CV carb off a 96 touring bike.

Used an intake manifold from an 04-06 sortster, tapped and plugged the hole the sensor sits in and used the stock flanges that were already on my bike. fit up pretty nicely! I still need to run the ignition still. You do use your crank sensor and your voltage regulator, obviously. I ripped out all of my wiring. ECM, TSSM, 02 Sensors etc.. The only other wires Ill have aside from the ones for the ignition will be for my headlight and taillamp. Im gonna hit up Rene again about getting a set of pipes and ditch these damn V&H that everyone seems to have..
    Get a set of stock headers, grab some prebent tubing (biltwell/speedway) and tac some crazy shit together

By the way, what was your method of plugging the sensor on the intake?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Trippster48 View Post
    Get a set of stock headers, grab some prebent tubing (biltwell/speedway) and tac some crazy shit together

By the way, what was your method of plugging the sensor on the intake?
    I dont remember what size I tapped it out to, but I just used a tap and die kit and used a plug bolt.

Get Adobe Flash player

I dont remember what size I tapped it out to, but I just used a tap and die kit and used a plug bolt.
    That works too, I figured Play-doh would be a good option but yeah, I guess I could try that haha.

Get Adobe Flash player

That Thunder Heart Ignition states that is for TC88, not XL's. Have you done any research to see if it will work? Does your flywheel have the same teeth as a TC88?
    I know for a fact that the Carbureted TC88. and XL ICM style ignitions are interchangeable.
    I just installed a Daytona Twin Tec ignition on an '04 XL, the instructions state that it will work for TC88 as well.
    Are you removing the EFI because it runs poorly?

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by daroberts3 View Post
    That Thunder Heart Ignition states that is for TC88, not XL's. Have you done any research to see if it will work? Does your flywheel have the same teeth as a TC88?
    I know for a fact that the Carbureted TC88. and XL ICM style ignitions are interchangeable.
    I just installed a Daytona Twin Tec ignition on an '04 XL, the instructions state that it will work for TC88 as well.
    Are you removing the EFI because it runs poorly?
    The Thunderheart works just fine. The EFI was nice and I simplified the wiring harness as much as I could to where it would still run, but just got tired of all the wiring. I got a hell of a deal on the thunderheart throught work...

Get Adobe Flash player

The Thunderheart works just fine. The EFI was nice and I simplified the wiring harness as much as I could to where it would still run, but just got tired of all the wiring. I got a hell of a deal on the thunderheart throught work...
    For me, It seems that the cheaper route is to return my bike to stock and sell it, and return to a 93-03 Sportster for a build. Im gunna hope to get about 6500 for the 48 and I got 1k off my cafe so I should be sitting nice for a project here in about a month (hopefully)

EFI is flipping great but it just comes down to the idea of a motorcycle for me. My definition requires just a motor, two wheels, something to steer, and a place to sit. I don't like the idea of a brain running my bike, Id rather have a beating heart running the thing. haha
    Last edited by Trippster48; 02-18-2013 at 12:29 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

I agree sell it and get a 03 and down sporty. I have a 07 sportster converted to carb if I could go back in time that's what I would have done.

Get Adobe Flash player

A motorcycle is a pile of money. One way to modify them is to turn the money into something else.

6500 for the 48 and I got 1k off my cafe
    Bang. Instant Big Twin cash with money to spare, or a Sporty with more money to spare.

Get Adobe Flash player

i know this is an old thread but have been looking into doing this to my 2010 48 lately. was wondering what manifold I will need to run with the conversion? I am thinking of running either a super e or an hsr 42. are there carb manifolds available for the efi sportsters or are there any previous years I could scrap one off?

Get Adobe Flash player

Search function and/or Google takes only seconds:

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23439

My personal opinion I wouldnt switch it im in the middle of finishing up a hardtail 2010 nightster and there is alot of wiring but I have made a cool box to put all the electronics in. You.can also split the harness that runs down the front and run half of it.up under the front of the bike to clean it up. [IMG][/IMG]

Share This