CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Thread: Identity Crisis

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Identity Crisis

I'm new to chopcult and let me just say that this site is so freakin awesome!!! I've been looking around for bobbed/chopped/ basically anything GS around here and I can't really find anything. I got a 1980 GS750L. I'm torn between what I want to do with her. I got her bonestock almost complete except for some mirrors but I wasn't going to use those damn things anyways. I was going to sell her but I guess it just wasn't meant to happen. So I'm fixing her up for the riding season. Any tips or visuals or anything would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys
    Last edited by newoldskool89; 02-16-2010 at 3:55 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Here's a pic of the bike. Like mentioned before I'm new to the site so it's still taking time to navigate around haha. I took off the rear fender and brakelight and grab bar. I didn't like em. i was gooing to start chopping at this point but decided it would be wise to do some research prior to any serious wrench time. I only did minor work because at first i wasn't planning on keeping it. Just changed carbs new batt sparkplugs oil and a once over on the clutches. Which by the way i have a question about but that'll be later.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.jpg  
    Last edited by newoldskool89; 02-16-2010 at 3:59 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

here's my absolute favorite:

They're pretty choppable - I've seen decent hardtails and cafe's

Get Adobe Flash player

hell yeah!!
    hardtail that frame ,,make a cool chop

Get Adobe Flash player

I look at it like this man. It's all in what you like and what you can afford to do. If loot is no problem for you, you could do whatever you wanted and still have it on the road by spring. Even if you do all your own fab work, your still gonna be buying things like gas tank, rear fender,seat, headlight ,tailight. hardtail section (assuming you wont just make your own) and a bunch of stuff your gonna realize you want throughout your build. If you see where I'm goin. The little things do add up. If your like me and money holds up your progress then you might not have it ready by spring or summer which means no riding. That sucks. If you don't have it riding right now, i would suggest get it goin and then way your options, time and money. If anything ride the stocker this season and make your plans for the winter tear down when you can start on it early and have time for any problems that come up in the build. I would definitely go with the hardtail
    Last edited by rick667; 02-16-2010 at 5:12 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

"i would suggest get it goin and then way your options"

very good point,,i hav clients every year,,wanna build a bike, frame etc..
    "well i get with u after the holidays" then the holiday wipes um out..
    then ,,ill get with u when my tax return get back" by then,,winters gone,,spring is here an hey,,guess what,,,bikes in a million pcs an they hav nothin to ride

Get Adobe Flash player

lang that bike is sexy. I'm thinking a gs750 may be on my list of soon to build bikes. I like the CB's but they are getting more and more expensive out here. I also heard they run strong too.

Newold: If you're bike is running it should be pretty easy to get a hardtail and some tabs put on there. Just reuse everything you possibly can. My wife and co workers laugh at me because I'll pick up anything for free just in case there is the slightest bit of a chance that I may use it. Metal scraps you name it. If you were closer I'd say let's do it.

Get Adobe Flash player

I hardtailed mine. gs 450 twin

Get Adobe Flash player

Wow thanks guys i really appreciate it. These bikes u guys posted are sweet. thanks for your opinions tips and support. Looking forward to seeing more pics for motivation. I'm working on a solo seat as we speak. Let's see if I can get it up here. Just gotta find that camera haha..

Get Adobe Flash player

Ran into some problems. She started leaking oil from somewhere. I think from the oil pan but not quite sure. Got a good amount of oil on the floor too. Cleaned it up and put a pan under the bike. I'm going to work on her tomorrow. I'm running low on cash so I'm going to try and clean her up a bit while I save more loot. I'll post some pics of my progress.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Thank god for impact drivers

Some of my challenges for today. I noticed somebody has been here before and they really messed up the screws on the cases all around. I'm glad the clutch cover wasn't so bad. I'm going to clean everything get some gasket silicone on there and put em back on with some 10mm bolt heads. Sorry if the pics are too dark I was in the garage til about 12am getting the covers off. These are before I got em off. Still got a few more like the screw on pic 2.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails GSBOLT.jpg   GSBOLT2.jpg   GSBOLT3.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

It don't take a ton of cash to up the cool factor a little on these. I should have <$500 in mine when it's done, including a second complet bike for project #2. Just gotta be creative and watch the local CL/ tradin post, etc... Here's mine before the downtube stretch. Still got a ways to go, just tryin to give ya some ideas...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails no seams 001.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Hey wllgmr

Sorry to jump in. Wllgmr are those Slim's bars on your bike? I like em!

Get Adobe Flash player

Poboy that bike is lookin pretty nice man. Good job. cant wait to see the outcome.. as for mine I wanna leave the rake stock cuz I love the bob look. For now I don't have enough loot for anything so Im just getting her running as best I can for now.

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm not gonna start choppin yet but I'm wondering where the tank mounts there are 3 tubes do i cut the two sides and weld make the middle longer or did you guys leave em like that. I took some pics so u could know what I'm talkin about. I think Einstein said "its better to be a fool for 5 minutes than to be a fool forever" well something like that haha but basically I know it might seem like a dumb question to some stupid but im new at this. Thanx alot guys ;D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Backbone.jpg   Backbone 2.jpg   Backbone 3.jpg   Backbone 4.jpg  

Share This