Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ercle69
    • Dec 2010

that looks like a really kinky sex toy...

Comment

• Imaposer
      • Jan 2013

Originally posted by ercle69
      that looks like a really kinky sex toy...

Well, I DO think I can find "other uses" for it outside of lifting bikes...

I'll run your idea by the new wife...

Comment

• BurlyBrand
        • Jul 2011

That thing does look like a bondage fixture. We may have F'd up the ability to use a lift on this bike anyway. More on that soon.

Originally posted by Imaposer
        Not trying to hijack your thread...

But after asking about the scissor jack you were using, and your comments about it not being too stable, I thought you might be interested in the lift I just bought.

I picked this little gem up from Harbor Freight yesterday. It's on sale for $183.99 right now and I found a 20% off coupon online so it was only $147... They get a lot of good reviews, unlike the smaller ATV type stand they offer. It seems sturdy and stable, and it lifts the bike up something like 30". Seems like just the ticket for a bike build project.

If anyone is interested, it's on sale through the end of the month, and the in store 20% off coupon can be found by googling "Harbor Freight in store coupon". Just print it out and take it with you to the store. They will accept it on top of the already on sale items too.

ETA: One word of advice about the lift from HF... IGNORE the instructions about filling and bleeding the hydraulic ram. I read it all over in the instructions, so I didn't even attempt to operate it until I bought some hydraulic oil. Just got through monkeying with it just to discover that it was completely full of oil and didn't need a thing. And that little rubber fill plug is a BITCH to reinstall...

Other than that though, it seems like it works just dandy. Haven't gotten around to lifting a bike with it yet, but I think I'll be happy with it. If the ram ever craps out it should be a simple thing to replace it with a worm gear or just a cheap scissor jack. That would allow use of a drill motor for easy, smooth electric up and down motion with no fear of hydraulic bleed down while the bike is up.

Comment

• Nosebleed
          • Mar 2010

In a pinch you could use it for an electric chair, you know, in case you had to administer some capital punishment.

Yeah, I'm wondering how that exhaust is going to affect the ability to use a frame lift with this bike. Seems like a full-sized table lift may be your only option.

Comment

• Nosebleed
            • Mar 2010

Originally posted by BurlyBrand
            Thanks man! Look for real deal info on them later in the month.
            Oh yeah, btw, "later in the month" has come and gone. Are we to assume that "the moto gods" were in fact, not with you? Hate to be demanding, but there are a lot of excited people watching in eager anticipation. Hope all is going well.

(Nose keeps running out of popcorn while waiting...)

Comment

• BurlyBrand
              • Jul 2011

OK, so we've been slacking off on the build thread. Bike is coming together and is almost roadworthy.

photo IMG_2052_zpsfb62dd0c.jpg

Full covered version of the tail fitted up nice. The Kuryakyn signals tucked in perfectly. These things are wired for run/turn/brake, so no controller needed, although they do want a load balancer. Pretty low drama and really bright. Other than a lic plate light, this is all we'll need to run in the back.

photo skatewheel_zps8ac5c72c.jpg

Chain guide needed love and one of the in-house skater/hipster kids kicked down a Peralta wheel. We built an inner bearing spacer and bolted it through the unused exhaust bracket.

photo IMG_2046_zps49766ed0.jpg

photo IMG_2121_zps814bcc04.jpg

So stoked on the lighting.

photo CafeLPmount_zpsabc45bdc.jpg

License plate inspired by sportbike squids. Tucks in nicely and built a small bracket that mounts to the support bracket for the tail. Added a couple of LED license plate bolt/lights and wired it into the running light circuit with a small plug. Johnny law should be more than happy (well, maybe not).

photo IMG_2051_zps97cd09b7.jpg

Bad phone pic of the final mockup. Undecided as to which version of the tail we'll use. Rear RSD disc is still MIA, but we're pretty patient.

photo IMG_2122_zps7ddbdc16.jpg

Plan is to run bar end mirrors, so trimmed up our Biltwell grips. R&D guys made this slick tool to to cut the grips.

photo IMG_2102_zps012b5440.jpg

Last pic for the day. Shot at the LeMans dealer show in Anaheim, CA. They didn't boo us out of the hall, so all must be good. We did a quicky shoot in the parking lot and will do a real deal session this week. That should give us a ton of images to share. Stay tuned for more action packed adventures and the high likelihood we have no idea how to judge corner speed and turn this thing into just so much scrap metal.

~BB

Comment

• seminariii
                • Dec 2010

that is looking SICK!

Comment

• BurlyBrand
                  • Jul 2011

Thanks man! We're pretty stoked on our first seat/tail

Originally posted by seminariii
                  that is looking SICK!

Comment

• Stlmikie
                    • Jan 2013

I'm ready for some action videos. Wheelies, airtime, the whole nine.

Comment

• ercle69
                      • Dec 2010

seat looks waaaaaaay better uncovered!!! and looks awesome too!

Comment

• Nosebleed
                        • Mar 2010

Oh, NICE! Glad I checked back for photos. Man, that tail section looks killer. It looks really short and compact, even better than I expected.

Bravo, gentlemen! Now, 2 questions:
                        1. When can we expect an announcement on pricing and such for the tail sections
                        2. If you wad this thing up in a ditch, will you sell me the shocks on the cheap?

Comment

• IndianaSlim
                          • Jan 2013

No worries on hydralic bleed-down on that lift, it has a two position safety pin.
                          I still love my Handy lift.

Comment

• MenaceKustoms
                            • Jun 2012

Painted tail section gets my vote! I want one for my next project.

Comment

• vagrant318
                              • Sep 2010

Can that tail section ride two up?

Comment

• Imaposer
                                • Jan 2013

Really diggin this bike!!

I like both tails but think I prefer the painted version personally n

Only thing that stands out that I would change is the absent front fender. While I like the fenderless look, I'm not willing to make the functional concession for the small difference it makes in looks. Even if painted flat black to reduce the visual impact, the first time it's ridden in the wet I'd be glad it was there. Living here in the southeast riding in the wet IS going to happen no matter how much you might try to avoid it.

Other than that though, I really like what you've done here.

Why did you have to build this one though? Now I'm torn which way I want to go with the project that I've been wanting to do... Scrambler or Cafe...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;