CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 7 123 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Biltwell Bonnie Project

Billdozer and I have a problem. He's got a unit Triumph project, a shovelhead refresh, a panhead project and an FXR that's slated for a mill swap in the not-too-distant future.

I've got a Hinckley Triumph chopper that eats coils, a SpartanKiller that never gets ridden, a CB450 streettracker with dirty carbs and a new Mountain bike that's fighting for my spare time.

Given all this, the last thing we need in the building is another motorcycle project.

Of course, that means I'm heading to San Juan Capistrano, CA tomorrow to pick up this:

This 2008 Hinckley Triumph Bonneville is getting my version of Bill's famous EZXL treatment:

* ditch the blinkers
    * chop, refoam and recover the stock seat pan
    * bob and/or scrap the fenders
    * swap bars and risers with something from the Biltwell catalog
    * open up intake and tweak exhaust
    * freshen up rolling stock with a rim swap, some anodizing and a new set of meats
    * new paint

In other words, do a little chopping and bobbing for R&D's sake.

What's that you say? Yes, this low mileage cherry is being added to the shop quiver as a skunkworks test mule for future Biltwell brand Hinckley Triumph parts and accessories.

I'm floating this info to CC Nation to hear what current Hinkley guys might be interested in seeing us develop.

I can tell you right now that at least 4 of our current handlebars and our Slimline risers look great on this bike, and that we're 4-5 weeks away from having Mushman foot pegs for Hinkley Bonnies and Scramblers. A new Biltwell style seat is also a given, but this will take 7-10 months for tooling and fitment development.

I realize some of the following bikes are W650s, but this is where my head is at for my " EZT100:"

Thanks to Deus Ex Machina and CRD for the inspiration.

This bike needs to be finished by June, so this thread should move quick. Please feel free to pipe up with your wish list for Hinkley bolt ons.

Mufflers, perhaps?

What pipes do you guys recommend? Paint scheme? The frame will remain stock, but tins are getting the goods from Josh at OSH.

Thanks again to DEM and CRD of Europe for their inspirational motorcycles

Stay tuned…

McGoo
    Last edited by Helwade; 02-06-2013 at 1:49 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Awesome, I'm sure it'll be outstanding as usual.

I'm not a big triumph guy, but appreciate all things developed... especially from the Biltwell factory.

I'd say a slick, low slung exhaust with a kicked up Cone muffler would be cool.

There's definitely a lot of potential in those bikes.

Get Adobe Flash player

great project. I love my Hinkley carbureted bonnie.

The W650 has a cleaner looking engine like you posted above. Such a pretty bike, that we can't get anymore. So the Trump is the best choice I say!

Get Adobe Flash player

Love the T-100. I chose the same model on the last Triumph I had. The tank is beautiful. I ended up selling it, but really wanted to see what your Moto bars would look like on it. Your new foot pegs would also look great on it. I had Trackers that I painted gold to match the pin striping on the tank. Here's a few pics of it. I added 3 inches to the swingarm (thanks to Rick the Welder) and went with a 16" and 18" Excel wheel combo. It was a really fun bike!

Last edited by SST; 02-06-2013 at 8:29 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Good choice Magoo,

I've always felt that the quality of the new Triumphs is related to the huge popularity of the old Triumphs.

What this about the other one eating coils?
    I know they had some issues with that,... just replace it with a new style one and go on with life.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Torch View Post
    Good choice Magoo,

I've always felt that the quality of the new Triumphs is related to the huge popularity of the old Triumphs.

What this about the other one eating coils?
    I know they had some issues with that,... just replace it with a new style one and go on with life.
    Hey Tony, on the subject of my Triumph chopper, the right coil is dead. I also learned the hard way that my donor motor is a Scrambler, not a Bonnie, which means it 270 out instead of 360 out. No big deal—it ran fine after you fixed it—but the Scrambler setup requires two coils, which the old bike has (but were shit).

I found Nology coils online and will do the swap to high output aftermarket coils for both cylinders as soon as the parts arrive.

Regarding the test mule project, I love what I'm already seeing on this thread. The Bonnie below my original post looks awesome. Nice work!

I'm going with black anodized Excel rims: 19" front and 17" rear with dual sport supermoto style tires. I'll post pics of the setup later this afternoon.

Right now I'm boning out to pick up the donor bike!

McGoo

Get Adobe Flash player

Mcgoo,

Here's my scrambler.

I put cocktail shakers from Moore's on there because they were only $100. I made brackets and they've been on the bike for 4 years now.

But the chrome is getting barf.

The thing I hate about new bonnevilles is that even just the slip-on systems are $500. Affordable exhaust would go over well. As well as some killer seats.

Bing Bong!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by CRFyou View Post
    The thing I hate about new bonnevilles is that even just the slip-on systems are $500. Affordable exhaust would go over well. As well as some killer seats.
    I also suggest you look into developing an affordable exhaust and seat.

Get Adobe Flash player

How about some 7/8" bars? The base Bonneville and the Scrambler both come stock with 7/8" bars while the T100's use the 1" bars. I'd love to see a 7/8" bar and riser combo from you guys. How about a rear fender/tail light combo maybe motocross style? I can't wait to see what you come up with for the seat.

A clean light weight exhaust system for the right $ wouldn't be a bad idea either. I'm running the TEC 2>1 on my EFI Bonnie and really like it, but would love to have a smaller and better flowing muffler.
    Last edited by Jburl; 02-06-2013 at 12:03 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

It didn't take long or cost much to get the donor bike into our shop one day after Billdozer suggested I attack this project. The bike I found in San Juan Capistrano was a low-mileage cherry with 10k clicks on the ODO and a fresh chain.

My personal program for establishing the look of any motorcycle I'm modding or building is to start with wheels and rubber first.

Since this bike's whole reason for being is to help us develop bolt-on parts for stock Hinckley Triumphs, it will of course keep the stock frame, swingarm and forks. This fact ties my hands to the wheel package even more, at least in terms of the finished bike's purpose and "style."

Speaking of purpose and style, I'm shooting for something exactly like Bill's original EZXL, which was built with some off-road capability in mind.

To that end, I've chosen the following meats for my machine:

The rear tire will be a Pirelli Scorpion A/T dual-sport tire in 140/80-18 size.

Since the stock rear wheel/tire combo is of the 130/70-17 variety, my refurb demands a new set of rims.

Enter a pair of these:

Ten seconds after rolling the donor bike into my work station I ordered the following shiny bits from Buchanan's:

• One 2.50" x 19" x 36-hole dimpled Excel alloy front rim
    • One 3.50" x 18" x 40-hole dimpled Excel alloy rear rim
    • 36 custom-cut stainless steel straight-gauge spokes and SS nipples for the front
    • 40 custom-cut SS spokes and nipples for the rear

The new 140/80-18 rear tire/wheel package will increase the total height of the back wheel +2.64" over the current 130/70-17 stock setup.

Visually this should stack up nicely against the 26.08" diameter 100/90-19 Scorpion A/T on the front. If the bike's stance gets too "stink bug" (high in the rear) I'll balance it with a shorter set of rear shocks from the good folks at Progressive/Burly Brand.

Here's another photo I found for inspiration on this project:

Everyone who customizes these "ROM's" (Regular Old Motorcycles) seems to be enamored with Firestones or some similarly sketchy retro meats. Since Mexico is a regular stop on most Biltwell adventures, I want to have a little more off-road capability and reliability. I've got a set of Pirelli's Scorp A/T's on my BMW X-Challenge, and they work great.

It may not give this project bike the "Brat Style" many people shoot for with these beasts, but I think the finished wheel package will look and perform great.

On the matter of looks, I plan to have my Excels anodized black before I lace 'em up with those sexy Buchanan SS spokes. The stock Hinckley hubs will remain stock, which is a machined raw alloy finish that looks plenty nice enough to run without headache or hesitation.

Tomorrow Erik and I are going to start tearing off the stock bits and stripping down the electricals.

If you see something on the donor bike as it stands that you'd like to buy, please PM me.

Here's another peak at the donor bike to refresh your memory:

Those pipes are aftermarket Triumph hi-perf so-and-so's, and Bill tells me they kick ass and sound great.

I'm going to build pipes and use aftermarket muffler cans, so these gots to go!

Thanks to CRFYou and everyone else who volunteered photos and ideas for this project. I really appreciate the feedback.

Get Adobe Flash player

Progressive wins in the search for new shocks on the Bonnie. These model 444 coil-overs are available in 12.5" length, which by my rough calculations should put the new taller rear wheel right where I need it.

Dave Zemla at Burly/Progressive knows everything about this stuff, so I'll hit him up for tech deets.

Black, of course.

This thing is going to be FUN

Get Adobe Flash player

Looking forward to a review on the 444's that replaced the 440's. Haven't heard much about them yet.

The new burly stilettos weren't of any interest?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Get Adobe Flash player

I've always loved this one.

Get Adobe Flash player

My take away from your Deus ExMachina bikes is that the the top end of the Kawi power plant is way, way better looking than the top end of the the Hinckley mill..

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Helwade View Post
    Billdozer and I have a problem. He's got a unit Triumph project, a shovelhead refresh, a panhead project and an FXR that's slated for a mill swap in the not-too-distant future.

I've got a Hinckley Triumph chopper that eats coils, a SpartanKiller that never gets ridden, a CB450 streettracker with dirty carbs and a new Mountain bike that's fighting for my spare time.
    Fuck, can we trade problems for a while??

The build sounds cool, I'm not a fan of the overly machined look of the new Trump motors, but I hae seen a few custom bikes with their engines that I've really liked. I'll be watching!

Get Adobe Flash player

I dicked with the cockpit this afternoon. Since the trees and the sliders on this beast are already a nice matte black finish, I'm keeping things simple…

Black Biltwell Thunder Riser and Black Moto Bars sans dimples will finish the cockpit on the EZT100 nicely:

My camera's not at the office this evening so I can't show you the finished assembly. What I can tell you is this:

1) Thunder risers accept 1/2-13 bolts, but the rubber isolators on the Triumph are bonded to a conical metal washer that fits 3/8" hardware. Solution: Drill a 1/2" hole through the metal washer—the rubber isolator is already molded to accept a 1/2" shaft.

Knowing this should help any Hinckley Triumph owner who might want to make the switch to different risers: not just BIltwell risers. I chose Biltwell risers for obvious reasons, but I think the finished setup makes good sense, for a couple reasons:

• 1/2-13 riser bolts are more confidence-inspiring than the 3/8" hardware that comes stock on the Bonnie

• The dog bone top clamp on the Biltwell Thunder Riser has a nice retro moto look and feel to my eye, and blends in nicely with the rest of the matte black components on the stock front end

Here's a shitty cell phone snappy of the finished assembly to tide you over until I can shoot proper pics with real light:

I trimmed 5/8" off the bar ends to mash the stock Triumph switch pod/lever assemblies as close to the bends as felt practical. The finished assembly is 1/2" lower than the stock bar/riser assembly, and light years better looking IMO.

I considered a pair of Tracker bars after peeping the sweet BOnnie on this thread, but opted for the dirt bike steez to go with my dual Sport Scorpion tires.

Speaking of tires, the good folks at Buchanan's called today to confirm my spoke and rim order.

When I return from the Indy trade show February 21 I hope to build the wheels and mount the tires so this thing can roll around on its new shoes.

Tomorrow we're tearing into the headlight/speedo assembly and ditching the blinkers…

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by davidabl View Post
    My take away from your Deus ExMachina bikes is that the the top end of the Kawi power plant is way, way better looking than the top end of the the Hinckley mill..
    I couldn't agree with you more, Davidabl. I fell in love with the Kawasaki W650 when it hit US shores for 2 years in 2000 or '01, and still kick myself for not pulling the trigger when they were $5999 brand new.

I find them from time to time on the used market, and everyone seems to be getting $5k for them.

Talk about holding your value!

I've heard the Triumph motor described as a "lump" and a "brick," but nobody who's owned and maintained one has told me they are a piece of shit. I certainly hope they are reliable, because now I own two of them.

The Scrambler motor in my Triumph chopper runs like a scalded monkey, but the coil problems have me frustrated.

I hope the Nology coils solve that bike's problems so I can focus on making this test mule a fun daily driver.

I like suspension, and the good folks at Progressive have agreed to sell me a custom-tuned set of model 444 shocks in 12.5" length as soon as my new wheels are built and shod with rubber for taking final measurements.

Thanks Dave Zemla!

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by blsm View Post
    I've always loved this one.

Cool stance and awesome take on the skinny front tire, but color-coordinated Horse Mag sticker, glitter pegs/seat and red chain made me throw up in my mouth a little.

Call me a curmudgeon, but I also think motorcycles need rear fenders (even if the seat is six feet long…)

Get Adobe Flash player

Mike D caught me staring at the stock airbox on this bike. Long story short, I hate it, but since it hides the battery and does god only knows what else, I wasn't convinced I'd find an easy way to get rid of it.

Well, it turns out a company called British Customs already did the dirty work for me.

This is their airbox eliminator/battery box combo:

Here's what their website has to say about this $300 jewel:

Triumph Bonneville & Thruxton Air Box Removal Kit

Looking to a cost effective way to increase the performance of your Triumph Bonneville or Thruxton? British Customs has designed an aluminum battery box that allows riders to remove the factory air box while maintaining all necessary securing points for replays, fuse box and starter solenoid. By removing the air box and installing the two supplied K&N filters directly to the end of the throttle bodies (EFI models) or carburetors (carb models), the motorcycle's intake system is opened up, allowing it to increase flow into the motor.

The aluminum battery box fit the battery, ECU, ECU spacer, starter solenoid, fuse box and replays while allowing the stock side covers to be fitted, allowing the rider to maintain a factory appearance. The British Customs Battery Box is constructed from aluminum and all including mounting hardware is machined from stainless steel. (Carb models only: Carb brace is constructed CNC from aluminum and anodized black.) The best known and best manufactured K&N air filters feature K&N's million mile warranty. Jet Kit includes 135, 140, and 42 pilots. All the necessary brackets, hardware, and fastening points for reinstallation of stock components are included.

Kit includes:

British Customs Battery Box
    Carburetor support brace (needed for carbureted models only)
    Custom stainless steel, washable crankcase breather hose filter in chrome finish
    K&N high flow air filters
    Rejetting kit (stock carbs)
    Hardware included

Features:

Increased performance for Bonneville and Thruxton
    British Customs Battery Box machined from aluminum
    Fully enclosed Battery Box to prevent dirt and grime from entering compartment
    Durable anodized black finished
    High flow air filters
    Custom jetting requests available
    Stainless steel hardware
    Maintain factory appearance
    Option to reinstall stock parts

I'm sold.

BC says you can reinstall the stock side covers after installing the battery box/breather box, but I plan to ditch these bulbous ovoids to create a more see-thru Cafe racer appearance behind the carbs.

Anyone used BC's battery box on their Bonnie? If so, please tell me how you like it.

Something else I'm eyeballing on the BC website is their 2-into-1 brushed stainless exhaust:

It doesn't get any cleaner than that. I really like how the pipe from the right cylinder runs beneath the engine cases and above the frame rails on its way to the collector in front of the muffler. I may switch the muffler… depends on some stuff too secret to speak about on this build thread.
    Last edited by Helwade; 02-07-2013 at 9:58 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Helwade View Post

It doesn't get any cleaner than that.
    You said it... that exhaust it bitchin'

IMO You can't make it any better than that, good find on the BC airbox... should clean things up nicely!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

Share This