Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Easybake323
    • Oct 2021

Shovelhead magneto?

I just installed a Joe hunt mag on my shovel it will kick and start but it is idling high , I have tried every adjustment on my super e but still running high, this is my first magneto so don’t know a lot about them, will changing with advance or retard help this out ? If so do I retard to bring the idle down? Thanks again
  • SteveJ
    • Mar 2022

Advance the mag until the engine pings under acceleration.
    Back it off so it dont ping.
    Thats your optimum mag setting
    The rest is carb.
    Shut off the accelerator pump to tune the shorty series of S&S carbs.
    And the idle screw should take care of the idle setting.

Comment

• JBinNC
      • Dec 2018

If you are running the mag advanced all the time, you will have to close the throttle plate almost all the way to get the motor to idle, and about 1000 rpm is about as low as you will be able to go. If you cannot achieve that, you may have a vacuum leak and you definitely need to find and fix that.

Best to start with the timing on the mag just like any other ignition, namely full advance of the mag would equal 35° BTDC, which is the advanced timing mark on the flywheel. You will have to be able to retard the mag for starting, or it will hurt you if you are kicking it, or likely hurt the starter drive if you are button starting it.

Jim

Comment

• Easybake323
        • Oct 2021

Originally posted by JBinNC
        If you are running the mag advanced all the time, you will have to close the throttle plate almost all the way to get the motor to idle, and about 1000 rpm is about as low as you will be able to go. If you cannot achieve that, you may have a vacuum leak and you definitely need to find and fix that.

Best to start with the timing on the mag just like any other ignition, namely full advance of the mag would equal 35° BTDC, which is the advanced timing mark on the flywheel. You will have to be able to retard the mag for starting, or it will hurt you if you are kicking it, or likely hurt the starter drive if you are button starting it.

Jim
        The magneto I have is auto advance it locks into place once I get the timing right.

Comment

• Dragstews
          • Sep 2010

Originally posted by Easybake323
          The magneto I have is auto advance it locks into place once I get the timing right.

This one ??
          Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• JBinNC
            • Dec 2018

Originally posted by Easybake323
            Best way by far is to time it with a timing light (strobe light) just like you would any other ignition.

Jim

Comment

• Dragstews
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by SteveJ

Advance the mag until the engine pings under acceleration.
              Back it off so it don't ping.
              That's your optimum mag setting
              This is called "Power Timing"

I'm a fan of this method, but first static time it ...

KATT - Timing & Testing Tool

Item Number: KATT .. Price: $89.95

Considered a must-have item, easy to use tool to set your timing accurately. Also useful to test your magneto for 'ready to run' by simply connecting the tool any time, then turn the motor. Well constructed from aluminum, and long battery life. You'll love it!

Made to exclusive Morris Magneto specs, this solid state unit detects induction, not "buzz box" continuity. Can be used for for testing other things, like starter relays or standard battery-coil ignition timing (with the power disconnected!).
              Last edited by Dragstews; 03-09-2022, 5:27 AM.
              Take my 45 and outrun em all ..

Comment

• docmel
                • May 2015

Those were called Buzz Boxes back in the day Great for mags or points. Got one, had it for years, REALLY comes in handy when first tuning a new circuit breaker or mag. Keeps from getting your ass kicked by the kicker when you first crank it up

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                Working...
                ;