CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default springer front end on xs650 neck

I know this subject has been covered before, but I can't get my acme springer to fit. i got the 1 inch harley neck bearings, it seems that the bearings do not fit deep enough into the race and I can't get the top clamp on.. it's almost like the stem is too short. any guidance or detailed pics... i'll post some pics myself.

livingdeadmc

Just ran into the same problem myself I've been fucking with this damn long springer for two weeks now. Last night I even welded in a stock xs stem and it was still too short. I'm gonna put my stock front end back on and machine a whole new neck. Good luck tho ! Wish I had more for ya...

Get Adobe Flash player

here are some pics, hopefully someone has some guidance

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks like your races aren't fully seated in the cup.

Get Adobe Flash player

races are fully seated, i ordered the bearings that everyone uses. I think I have a solution as a last ditch effor. cut the neck to 6.5 inch and install harley neck cup. i'm sure I would need spacers made to fill the ID of the xs neck... doesn't seem like it would be that difficult. I would also plug weld everything in..

what's keeping from doing this is once I cut the neck that's it. no going back and getting a nice straight cut?? maybe a chopsaw

Get Adobe Flash player

Cutting the neck would be a nightmare. I would just run a loose bearing set up instead of the timkins. Spending 25 minutes packing loose bearings is better than a 1-2 day hail mary that might not work and make you replace the neck on that pretty frame.

Best of luck either way.

Get Adobe Flash player

Before you start chopping up the neck, I'd try modifying a set of bearings. I modified some bearings to fit my Honda neck to the Harley stem. If you have access to a lathe it's pretty straighforward: for the upper, I selected a bearing with the correct OD to match the Honda neck. Then I selected an ID for this bearing that was slightly under 1". I bored the ID to 1" (think all I had to take off was ~.020"). For the lower bearing, I again selected the Honda OD. Then selected an ID that was larger than 1". I machined a sleeve that filled the gap between the ID of the bearing and the OD of the stem.

This should work, unless I'm not understanding your situation fully. BTW, like the idea of pipe insulation to keep things scratch free...much better than tape.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by jessadamessa View Post
    Before you start chopping up the neck, I'd try modifying a set of bearings. I modified some bearings to fit my Honda neck to the Harley stem. If you have access to a lathe it's pretty straighforward: for the upper, I selected a bearing with the correct OD to match the Honda neck. Then I selected an ID for this bearing that was slightly under 1". I bored the ID to 1" (think all I had to take off was ~.020"). For the lower bearing, I again selected the Honda OD. Then selected an ID that was larger than 1". I machined a sleeve that filled the gap between the ID of the bearing and the OD of the stem.

This should work, unless I'm not understanding your situation fully. BTW, like the idea of pipe insulation to keep things scratch free...much better than tape.
    I've got the same sort of a problem. I've bought some kawasaki bearings with a OD of 48mm and a ID of 30mm. I'm going to make a sleeve with a OD of 30mm and a ID of 1". Press the sleeve over the stem and the upper tree will still fit on the 1" stem.

Get Adobe Flash player

I know this sounds obvious but have you got the races the right way round.One is normally shallower than the other.If these are the wrong way round the top clamp wont go down all the way.

Get Adobe Flash player

I have seen somewhere on the web a how to for installing a DNA and the only thing that stood out as unusual was the nut under the top clamp had to be cut down by 1/2" or so. Both are made to fit a harley neck so you may have to do something similar.
    May find some helpful info here
    http://www.thechopperunderground.com...howtopic=50017

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Reid View Post
    I have seen somewhere on the web a how to for installing a DNA and the only thing that stood out as unusual was the nut under the top clamp had to be cut down by 1/2" or so. Both are made to fit a harley neck so you may have to do something similar.
    May find some helpful info here
    http://www.thechopperunderground.com...howtopic=50017
    i did see that.... the acme nut is already thin as hell. i have a few ideas running through my head. also it seems a company called bros mfg has a conversion kit for this sort of thing. i'll keep everyone posted.

Get Adobe Flash player

Its hard to say without seeing it myself but you might be able to mill the area around the stem on the underside of the top clamp so it drops down over the nut. I dont know if you will be able to take enough stock off of it for it to work and still be usable though

Get Adobe Flash player

To me it looks like the bearings aren't seated properly meaning that the racers may be switched or the bearings are.

Try swapping the bearings to see if they seat better.

Was the stem made for that neck? Or is it just a standard harley neck?

Get Adobe Flash player

i just a standard harley neck.. on the plus side i talked to bros mfg today and the guy sells a complete bearing/race kit that is completely plug and play... so I should be good. i'll keep everyone posted

209 352 0112 shoot me a call and i can tell u what i did with my 14 over amen springer

Share This