X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ACYocum
    • Apr 2024

Originally posted by steffan
    led sled has a kit i was looking into
    i have the led sled kit. Works perfectly, bolted right on. Could not find a better price and required zero thought

Comment

• Jackieshan
      • Aug 2009

Okay... been busy lately, but finally getting around to posting my conversion. I've got a 98 sportster with the stock frame and swingarm. I bought a baker 23 tooth front sprocket (part # 23T02-56) for $45, Drag Specialties 51 tooth rear sprocket (part# DS-32539) for $50, and an EK Quadra-X O-Ring chain (part# 530zzz) for $135. Total for the whole conversion was $230. You can go cheaper on the chain, but you get what you pay for. The chain I got was pretty good for the price and I've heard good things about EK. The ratio is pretty close to stock. I believe the stock is 2.26 and mine came out to about 2.22 giving me a little lower end torque. The conversion is super easy to do, though I used a chain tool to rivet the chain instead of using a clip that can fall off. The rear sprocket is a dished sprocket for a 91-92 sportster and lined up perfectly with the baker .200 offset front. No need for any spacers and the stock sprocket plate bolts right on to the baker sprocket. Anyways, here's a couple pics and feel free to ask any questions.

Last edited by Jackieshan; 03-10-2010, 5:05 PM.

Comment

• GaryC58
        • Oct 2010

I'm in the middle of messing with mine at the moment.
        The front drive sprocket from Zipper's has 3 threaded holes in it.They are closer together than the 2 threaded holes used on the factory belt pully and retaining plate.The Zipper's bolt is also smaller-it is a socket head 10-24.
        I went and got a pack of those,so I could use a bolt in all 3 holes.

Looking at the factory retaining plate,I just couldn't see how it would work on the Zipper's sprocket without drilling.
        Correct me if I'm wrong-the Zipper's sprocket doesn't NEED the factory retaining plate,does it?
        It appears to me that the reason the holes are where they are,is because the heads of the 3 socket head bolts will prevent the sprocket nut from loosening and backing off.
        Can someone confirm that this is correct,or straighten me out if it is in error?

It is too late at night for me to go back out to the garage and fire up the compressor to nail it down and check it out,but I'll likely do it tomorrow.

Comment

• Frankenstein
          • Mar 2010

I myself just ordered a belt to chain conversion kit from Zippers this week. Should be here Thur. Fingers crossed all goes well.

Comment

• Twinkies
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by GaryC58
            I'm in the middle of messing with mine at the moment.
            The front drive sprocket from Zipper's has 3 threaded holes in it.They are closer together than the 2 threaded holes used on the factory belt pully and retaining plate.The Zipper's bolt is also smaller-it is a socket head 10-24.
            I went and got a pack of those,so I could use a bolt in all 3 holes.

Looking at the factory retaining plate,I just couldn't see how it would work on the Zipper's sprocket without drilling.
            Correct me if I'm wrong-the Zipper's sprocket doesn't NEED the factory retaining plate,does it?
            It appears to me that the reason the holes are where they are,is because the heads of the 3 socket head bolts will prevent the sprocket nut from loosening and backing off.
            Can someone confirm that this is correct,or straighten me out if it is in error?

It is too late at night for me to go back out to the garage and fire up the compressor to nail it down and check it out,but I'll likely do it tomorrow.
            I was a little confused at first about this too... here's the deal... the PBI sprocket comes with that one allen screw taped to the box. When the 1-7/8" sprocket nut is tightened, the set screw should fit all the way into 1 of those 3 holes which will be on the flat side of the nut somewhere. Its just a set screw to keep the nut from backing off. Use loc-tite. The two bolt "plate' like pictured above is just for the belt sprocket, you wont re-use it on the PBI chain sprocket in the Zippers kit.
            Last edited by Twinkies; 03-06-2011, 3:10 PM. Reason: ...

Comment

• ruckus2115
              • Jan 2010

yea im doing this right now....kinda came to the conclusion the stock retaining plate is of no use. im wondering about using a jims tranny nut ( http://www.debrix.com/ProductDetails...tCode=77428-M1 )

and are you using the spacer that they gave that goes on the tranny shaft?

Comment

• mike1407
                • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ruckus2115
                yea im doing this right now....kinda came to the conclusion the stock retaining plate is of no use. im wondering about using a jims tranny nut ( http://www.debrix.com/ProductDetails...tCode=77428-M1 )

and are you using the spacer that they gave that goes on the tranny shaft?
                did you piece yours together or buy a kit?

Comment

• gravitywerx
                  • Apr 2024

i will be doing this eventually but was wondering on the LED SLED kit, they have it listed with certain tooth sprockets....how is the ratio with those sprockets.....i dont want to be winding out at 60mph....

Comment

• Twinkies
                    • Aug 2009

Originally posted by gravitywerx
                    i will be doing this eventually but was wondering on the LED SLED kit, they have it listed with certain tooth sprockets....how is the ratio with those sprockets.....i dont want to be winding out at 60mph....
                    Even though I went with the Zippers kit, I went with the same 23T front/ 48T rear combo.
                    I have a terrible memory, but I remember talking to the Zippers rep who was helpful and had a chart of gear ratios in front of him. Im pretty sure he said to match the stock belt drive ratio on my 883 I'd need a 23 front/ 51 rear. I have a 1200 top end/ 883 bottom end so I decided to go 48T rear sprocket...

Comment

• ruckus2115
                      • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mike1407
                      did you piece yours together or buy a kit?
                      eh....i got lazy and just ordered one up from zippers....it came with everything and like someone has just said the guy was able to have all the different ratios depending on what you wanted.

Comment

• mike1407
                        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by ruckus2115
                        eh....i got lazy and just ordered one up from zippers....it came with everything and like someone has just said the guy was able to have all the different ratios depending on what you wanted.
                        how much was it?

Comment

• GaryC58
                          • Oct 2010

Thanks for the verification,Twinkies.

As per the 23/48 combo,it brings the engine revs down some at highway speeds.
                          Good idea if you spend much time on the highway on a Sporty.

Comment

• gravitywerx
                            • Apr 2024

Originally posted by GaryC58
                            Thanks for the verification,Twinkies.

As per the 23/48 combo,it brings the engine revs down some at highway speeds.
                            Good idea if you spend much time on the highway on a Sporty.
                            good to know for when i do it...of course by the time i get around to it i will have lost this thread....

Comment

• ruckus2115
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by mike1407
                              how much was it?
                              it was around 375

it comes with everything and really is a direct bolt on. pbi sprockets and a rk chain. correct spacers and stuff.....yea i know it is kinda expensive but it was worth the extra cost to just order it from one company in case i needed to return anything. the whole tax refund also helped the decision. i forget what number of teeth front and back i got but it is similar to stock.

Comment

• doppleganger87
                                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Twinkies
                                I was a little confused at first about this too... here's the deal... the PBI sprocket comes with that one allen screw taped to the box. When the 1-7/8" sprocket nut is tightened, the set screw should fit all the way into 1 of those 3 holes which will be on the flat side of the nut somewhere. Its just a set screw to keep the nut from backing off. Use loc-tite. The two bolt "plate' like pictured above is just for the belt sprocket, you wont re-use it on the PBI chain sprocket in the Zippers kit.
                                because im lazy and dont want to figure it out myself do you know what size that retainer screw is??

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;