CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 3 123 Last
  1. #1
    Junior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18

    Default sporty belt - chain conversion

    hey quick question, i got a 96 sporty and need to convert it to chain drive for clearance reasons. Was wondering what years had this stock that would bolt on?

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Go to a good Indy... they will order up your front and rear sprockets and a good Oring chain.

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,528

    Default

    led sled has a kit i was looking into

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    635

    Default

    I'd imagine that Sprocket Specialists is making the sprockets for these chain conversion kits. If anyone knows the part number for the front sprocket by itself, I would be stoked to get that knowledge.

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    335

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steffan View Post
    led sled has a kit i was looking into
    Ouch...good lookin but ouch.

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    319

    Default

    I did mine with a Baker buell 530 conversion kit. Buell 530 or 520 conversion kits will bolt up to a sportster wheel and sprocket pattern. It was super easy. The only issue i ran into was i didnt have a socket big enough to get the sprocket off.

    here is a good thread off of xlfourm that describes it pretty well

    http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...ad.php?t=13600

  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    138

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by XbrooklynX View Post
    The only issue i ran into was i didnt have a socket big enough to get the sprocket off.
    I went to sears and bought the correct size socket and breaker bar (I think it was 1" Drive) went home carefully used it, and returned it back to the store. I just told them it was the wrong size. That shit was like $75, and I'd never use it again!

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFox View Post
    I went to sears and bought the correct size socket and breaker bar (I think it was 1" Drive) went home carefully used it, and returned it back to the store. I just told them it was the wrong size. That shit was like $75, and I'd never use it again!
    Go to Harbour Freight and get a complete chineeesee set for $25.00... it aint top of the line but you get tools you can use. I have mostly SnapDaddy, Mac and Crapsman but if is a one time tool or something I need to weld on or grind up.... Harbour Freight cant be beat and you can loan em to your buddies and no lose sleep at night.

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    319

    Default

    Yeah the return route was my plan too but I got lazy... I was clearing out the rollaway the other day and found it sitting there in the box looking brand new.

  10. #10
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    476

  11. #11
    xllance
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ironlance View Post
    Drives me nuts when they say "no oil just roll with it" I guarantee you don't oil your chain you aint gettin 30000 miles. Why would they say that?

  12. #12
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    184

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ironlance View Post
    Damn $273 and that is without shipping. Is there a way to just buy the sprockets?

  13. #13
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,663

    Default

    i know the dont have the best reputation but i got my countershaft sprocket from jerih cycles for like 15 bucks,my rear custom chrome sprocket from a local bike shop for like 45 bucks.

  14. #14
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    75

    Default

    I'm converting my 98 this week when I get some time. I've been looking all over the place to figure it out. Finally I talked to a guy at Baker about their Buell kit. He says I don't need the kit and to just buy the .200 offset front sprocket, the 530 chain, and get a stock '91-'92 rear sprocket. The rear sprocket has a little dish to it and should line up with .200 front sprocket. You should get about a half inch more of clearance. If you need more you can go with a .500 offset front sprocket and use a spacer in the rear. I don't think the spacers are more than 15 bucks. I thought about the led sled kit, but this route saves me about 100 bucks. I'll let you know when I get to it and if it all works out.

  15. #15
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    1,139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xllance View Post
    Drives me nuts when they say "no oil just roll with it" I guarantee you don't oil your chain you aint gettin 30000 miles. Why would they say that?
    I've never seen a single BAD thing from Led Sled.... If they say it, they probably mean it...

  16. #16
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    138

    Default Re: sporty belt - chain conversion

    I don't, and never have oiled my chain. I use wax.

  17. #17
    xllance
    Guest

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Punkskalar View Post
    I've never seen a single BAD thing from Led Sled.... If they say it, they probably mean it...
    I dig what led sled is all about, but that's a common misconception alot of people have about o-ring chains. They DO need lubed, in fact some even recommend removing the chain every so often and thoroughly cleaning it and lubing it. I've seen chains with no lube----they are rusty and stiff, taking a chance on some major damage when that sucker breaks. I use wax too White fox.

  18. #18
    Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    38

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jackieshan View Post
    I'm converting my 98 this week when I get some time. I've been looking all over the place to figure it out. Finally I talked to a guy at Baker about their Buell kit. He says I don't need the kit and to just buy the .200 offset front sprocket, the 530 chain, and get a stock '91-'92 rear sprocket. The rear sprocket has a little dish to it and should line up with .200 front sprocket. You should get about a half inch more of clearance. If you need more you can go with a .500 offset front sprocket and use a spacer in the rear. I don't think the spacers are more than 15 bucks. I thought about the led sled kit, but this route saves me about 100 bucks. I'll let you know when I get to it and if it all works out.
    I'm looking into doing the conversion too with my 00. While a kit makes life a little easier, at the same time it's pretty pricey and I'd rather save a few bucks to apply toward other parts of my build. When you get the parts and put it together, would you mind posting the part numbers and where you got them from? Thanks in advance

  19. #19
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    183

    Default

    i'd be interested in the p/n's also...i got a fellow geek that did this without buying a kit and still spent around $250.

  20. #20
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    198

    Default

    I got the sprockets and chain the front sprocket has a spacer that goes behind it but i made one with a washer just made the inside of the washer bigger to fit works fine chain is running in line cost about 150 bucks 45min to do

Share This



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in