CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Starting issues...

Alright guys, I have a problem here and can't seem to find it.

The bike: 2005 Harley Sportster 1200 Custom

The History: I cut the handle bar wiring off, looped the run/off wires, installed a solenoid housing starter button, and put on an 8 cell Moty Design quick disconnect battery.

The Problem: Ever since I took out my Harley gel battery and installed the Moty Design battery my bike has been having issues. When the battery first arrived it started my bike one time and then died. I called about the issue and was told to put it on a battery tender until fully charged, I did and it worked, but took five or six cranks to kick over. The battery started and ran my bike for about three weeks. Then I took the battery off for two weeks for winterization and when I put it back on and cranked it, it tried to kick over for about ten tries and then the battery died. I charged it again and tried to start my bike and got nothing. Battery is full of juice but the solenoid has no back pressure and does not even click.

Please help me troubleshoot this problem. I need to get on it and ride again it is driving me insane!

Get Adobe Flash player

The battery is a 12 cell, my bad.

ARBY

Well, either the new battery is bad or you screwed up something during the wire chop job. Put the HD battery back in and if it cranks up fine the problem is with the new battery. If not then it's in the wiring job. When it comes to wiring always remember, you can't fool electricity.

Get Adobe Flash player

Arby, the battery is good, the solenoid direct button lost its back pressure and does not fire the spark plugs anymore. I checked all my fuses, I am trying to figure out what would have gone bad in between the solenoid and the spark plugs. Maybe the starter relay, the solenoid itself, or even the spark plugs?
    Thanks

Jetblack

You should have the battery load tested; it's a good idea to always put a new battery on charge first. If you don't it severely limits it's future charge potential.

Another possible issue is if you might have a safety lock out issue happening in your wiring job. I don't know if you addressed the proper issues needed when cutting into your wiring...not enough info to tell. I'm assuming you removed the clutch switch lock out when you chopped the bar wiring.

It's pretty involved to explain everything out on Harley's lock crazy out system; so I found a couple links for you that cover's modding it.

http://www.harley-davidsonforums.com...05-1200xl.html

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s...d.php?t=847440

Get Adobe Flash player

Jetblack, there was no clutch interlock switch in my handle bar wiring. I just talked to Moty Design, and I am sending my battery back to be checked for issues. Those links you posted definitely shed some light on the TSM, the more I read about it, the more I think the TSM may be at fault. Most of the starting issues match.

Share This