Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Punkskalar
    • Jan 2010

My Bike: Re-Phased Hotrod XS650

This was my first bike build. I did it for my Senior Thesis in Industrial Design at Appalachian State University. I know, I know.... Jap bikes suck... Well, I decided to make sure mine didn't suck, and on a student budget, and only about 16 weeks to build it, I needed cheap and fast. Enter the venerable XS650. I took a night job on campus in the metals department to be able to access the lathe, mill, TIG, etc... I never really used the equipment more than about 10 minutes each before this project...

This is the ugly I started with:

I wanted to use Akront style drop center rims, and scrounged some off of an Ossa and Husky Dirtbike. I laced them up myself to the XS60 hubs, which I machined and polished. 21" Front and an 18" rear.

Everyone does a 3-4" stretch on an XS, so I decided to keep mine short, real short. the wheelbase is actually shorter than stock. I shortened the forks myself, trimmed down the fat on the trees, and had a roller.

Next up was the engine. I had a roommate with an XS650, and it seemed to vibrate alot. ALOT... After doing some research, I found lots of Internet Ninja's discussing re-phasing of the crank and cam. Like all Internet Ninja's, all they did was talk about it, so I decided to do something and make it happen. Stock XS engines pistons travel up and down at the same time. Unacceptable! I altered the crank by rotating 1 set of flywheels 83.something degrees. Then the cam had to match, at an even 41.something degrees, so I cut apart 3 cams before making this one work! So far soo good, no vibes, and 10K plus RPM make this thing a torque chop if there ever was one. Add in some 707CC pistons, overdrive 5th gear,some headwork, custom pipes, and a set of vintage Lectron Flatslides, and this thing just hauls ass...

After that, I couldn't just throw any old set of aftermarket bars, seat, etc... on it. So I made em all to fit my style. I made the bars from some stock ones I cut down, hammered out the seatpan and covered it myself, made my own rearsets, controls and grips, and topped it all off with a hidden footclutch mechanism and hand shifter. Basically, the only thing let unmolested was a headlight and a taillight.

Basically, I wanted to learn all I could and test things that I'd never seen done before. Overall, I've been extremely please with how it came out. I built it for me, but its nice that others dig it too...

Owner/Builder: Hugh Owings, Boone NC

Bike Name: I'm bad at names, so this is just my XS650

Engine, year and make, model, modifications: 1981, XS650, Slightly Modded...

Frame: Stock front loop, stock length hardtail.

Fork: Shaved and lowered. smoothed trees, integrated headlight mount.

Chassis mods: Custom Rearsets, fat free frame, handbent hardtail section

Tire/wheel size and style: 21" Akront with an Avon up front, and 18" Akront with an Avon out back

Favorite thing about this bike: James Fuel tank, only seen 1 other ever...

Next modification will be: Longer fender and a sissybar for the long trips... That side bag would be sweet too!

Other mods, accessories, cool parts, etc: Handmade exhaust, controls, seat, bars, fender stays, gas cap (yeah, even the gas cap)

Any building or riding story or info you'd like to include: I'm 6 foot tall, and a short chop is too damn fun. With the right bars, and controls, this thing is just right for a 5-7 day trip... Now the seat on the other hand, well...

Thanks to: Brewdude for the powdercoating, And Mitch from Bling Cycles for the encouragement and support. Last but not least, my friends over at Pirate4x4!

Check out the build thread here: "Punskalar Builds a Bike / Chopperthing"

And you can here it run here:

Hugh Owings Motorcycle Bobber Chopper XS650 XS 650 Honda Rebel CMX250 Hughs Hand Built HughsHandBuilt
    Last edited by Punkskalar; 05-02-2010, 9:05 PM.
  • justin666
    • Mar 2024

LOVE your bike dude!!!!! so clean and dialed

Comment

• MileHighMurdercycle
      • Dec 2009

So do you do this rephasing for others????

Comment

• Punkskalar
        • Jan 2010

Originally posted by MileHighMurdercycle
        So do you do this rephasing for others????
        I'm working outta my basement right now. I've not done another rephase for someone else yet, but have plans for a guy that wants a 800+cc drag engine. Should be rad...

I am also planning on doing another for myself, in a whole new chassis....

Here is a quick video of how the "new" engine sounds...
        Re-Phased XS 650 Engine. Bored to 707CC, Ported and Polished head, Custom intakes, Port Matched Carbs and Intakes, Dual Lectron Flatslide carbs 34MM, Custom...
        Last edited by Punkskalar; 02-08-2010, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• mplsdave
          • Aug 2009

your bike is sick

Comment

• revmike
            • Nov 2009

Hey, this is Chop Cult, all bikes rule, regardless of their race, color, creed or national origin. You must be thinking about that "Other" forum. Read the write up on your bike, nice work. Aesthetically you've done a great job on the lines and the flow. It is more impressive that you have actually improved on the internals as well.

Nice work....

Comment

• Punkskalar
              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by revmike
              Hey, this is Chop Cult, all bikes rule, regardless of their race, color, creed or national origin.
              Thats why I already feel right at home here! I love this place, the tech is sweet, and I've already made good connections for traveling, parts, etc... Its what a bike community should be, and I'm stoked to be a part of it...

Comment

• GreaserMike
                • Aug 2009

The bike is absolutely killer! I love everything about it.

You should be extremely proud of what you've put together. (and if you didn't ace that program I'd gladly have words with your instructors!)

Well done! I can't wait to see our next build.

Comment

• MileHighMurdercycle
                  • Dec 2009

Originally posted by Punkskalar
                  I'm working outta my basement right now. I've not done another rephase for someone else yet, but have plans for a guy that wants a 800+cc drag engine. Should be rad...

I am also planning on doing another for myself, in a whole new chassis....
                  I live on the other side of the mountain from Bonneville. Just figured it would be fun to try my hand at the salt flats. That and the old lady said no way to a salt flat racer. Doesn't she realize that just gives me more reason to build one???

Comment

• burntclutch
                    • Aug 2009

so far i'm gonna say the jap chops are winning this my bike contest. bike looks like the child of rad and sweet

Comment

• xllance
                      • Mar 2024

This one gets my vote so far, killer lookin scoot nice and understated, then I read about the whole flywheel / piston / cam thing, damn dude!!

Comment

• philbey
                        • Aug 2009

Hugh, how much did you lower this thing by? I can't remember, did you post more details in the pirate 4x4 thread?

Comment

• nohonestlyitsme
                          • Jan 2010

everytime i searched "xs650 bobber" on Google Images for a while when getting familiar with this scene, your bike you come up and I was always blown away by it. Cheers

Comment

• Punkskalar
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by philbey
                            Hugh, how much did you lower this thing by? I can't remember, did you post more details in the pirate 4x4 thread?
                            I have no idea how much it was lowered techinically, I set the frame height to 4". Its a low little scoot, but with the way I built the exhaust and the rearsets, it carves turns with ease..... The build thread is about 26 pages long, lots of tech and details in there for ya

I'll save you some time. Look here for the start of the frame mods....

Last edited by Punkskalar; 02-08-2010, 10:28 PM.

Comment

• Punkskalar
                              • Jan 2010

Originally posted by xllance
                              This one gets my vote so far, killer lookin scoot nice and understated, then I read about the whole flywheel / piston / cam thing, damn dude!!
                              Thanks man...

I get that alot, as far as the bike being very subtle. Its the details that make it smooth. Building a simple bike is WAY harder than it looks.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...