Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • daroberts3
    • Dec 2012

Took the old yammy out for some sunshine. it's been sitting in a dark corner of the Broken Sprocket Garage for too long!
    Recent additions iclude finished rear wheel/tire. Seat shock. Plug wires/ends/coil. Started on electric box, between lower frame rails, below seat area.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Br4denJ
      • Feb 2013

Seat

I love the way your seat is set up on the cantilever.

Comment

• daroberts3
        • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Br4denJ
        I love the way your seat is set up on the cantilever.
        Seat design and rigid frame was built by Voodoo Vintage. Seat is off because it is having some leather work done. Will be back soon.

Comment

• daroberts3
          • Dec 2012

More recent pictures
          Attached Files

Comment

• daroberts3
            • Dec 2012

wires! Wires are from Rhode Island wiring. Cheap too only $.37/foot. I can't wait to wire this bike! Using a battery cut off switch on the positive terminal as my on off switch. Head light, tail light, license plate light. Stock ignition and charging, till it fails.
            Attached Files

Comment

• daroberts3
              • Dec 2012

Steel Dragon Velocity stacks and screens. PERFECT FIT AND FINISH! All for only 72 dollars to my door!
              Made a choke cable rig. HD something cable cut down. Random tab I had in my parts bin. Couple of set screws to hold tension on the choke rod.
              Also removed plugs to gain access to the idle mixture screws.
              Anybody have a source for a brass "T" fitting for the fuel supply?
              Attached Files

Comment

• daroberts3
                • Dec 2012

2 1/2 hours into seat modifications, and positioning, grinding off, rewelding up higher. Reamed bushings in shock for a 3/8" bolt.
                Piece of old leather work boot as my seat bumper. Probably going to put a bumper on the fender as well.
                Attached Files

Comment

• Sky
                  • Aug 2009

Looking good! the devils in the details. A little worried your loosing functionality to gimmickry. My two cents = if the foot controls are to be that low make 'em fold. They seem to be the widest things on the bike, can you tuck them in? Those Pedals rule. Also a little far forward of where that seat is. Got any pics of a rider astride? That Peanut tank needs some massaging. Too big? Frisco mount? Something. The linkage could use some "swoop" they don't have to be straight rods. I like the wrench idea. Remember they tend to get brittle if not tempered after heating and/or drilling(high carbon steel). Hated the fender at first but it looks good whittled away like you ended up with. The risers look boss, shave those trees! Polish would look great here too. How are you charging that batt? Stock reg/rect gonna work?

Comment

• daroberts3
                    • Dec 2012

Originally posted by Sky
                    Looking good! the devils in the details. A little worried your loosing functionality to gimmickry. My two cents = if the foot controls are to be that low make 'em fold. They seem to be the widest things on the bike, can you tuck them in? Those Pedals rule. Also a little far forward of where that seat is. Got any pics of a rider astride? That Peanut tank needs some massaging. Too big? Frisco mount? Something. The linkage could use some "swoop" they don't have to be straight rods. I like the wrench idea. Remember they tend to get brittle if not tempered after heating and/or drilling(high carbon steel). Hated the fender at first but it looks good whittled away like you ended up with. The risers look boss, shave those trees! Polish would look great here too. How are you charging that batt? Stock reg/rect gonna work?
                    Sky, thanks for your input, I was starting to think I was all alone in this thread.
                    Riding position fits me perfectly. Both the pegs and handlebars are a little on the wide side. Plan on cutting down the h-bars, but not the pegs.
                    No plans for further tank mods. There are some clearance issues with the petcock and cylinder head if I go any lower. There are actually two tanks, one is stock HD 2.8(?) and another Drag Specialties 3.9. Both are rubbermounted.
                    After I heated the wrench, I cooled it down in motor oil, don't know if that helped or hurt metal integrity? I am really learning welding, fabrication and metallurgy as I go through this build.
                    My fender rules! One of my favorite parts on the bike.
                    I need another top tree to shve down, have some ideas there......
                    Ballistic batteries are said to be compatible with stock motorcycle style charging systems, yet they recommend a special stand alone charger for their batteries? IDK. New product, just trying it out. Not a lot of demand on the batttery on this little bike.
                    Gimmickry? As in OCC Snap-ON build bike? That bristles my neck hairs! Inspiration for this bike is from old farm machinery, Ford 8N, Gravely C10/20. Think wood kick pedal on a Knucklehead, real grease fittings on the springer rockers. Hand made wooden pieces by real (Roycroft) artisans.
                    Again, thanks for your input. It is good to have someone else with a different perspective give their opinion.

Comment

• daroberts3
                      • Dec 2012

Custom top motor mount made from bamboo plywood. Stirring up the debate of whether or not the top motor mount is needed. My theory is that if it breaks, then it needs a stronger top mount and I will have one made from billett, in the same shape.
                      This mount required custom made oil lines because of interferance. Making custom s.s -3AN oil hoses. Started a thread just for that project.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=31716

Anyone recognize the stamp in the bamboo?
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Sky
                        • Aug 2009

Looks like an I-Ching pictograph?
                        Gonna seal that "wood"? Bamboo is a resilient and tough material. Not sure how it'll handle oil, heat,vibration, and frame flex. Guess you'll find out!

Comment

• daroberts3
                          • Dec 2012

Nope, not an I-Ching pictograph? Actually do not know what that is.
                          The bamboo does have a finish on it. It is a catalyzed finish, that is baked on. The finish and the glue in the plywood are rated to 300*F. The wood itself has a 3000psi load bearing rating. So it should work ok, we shall see.
                          Any other guesses on the stamp in the wood?

Comment

• Ato
                            • Oct 2010

Originally posted by daroberts3
                            Nope, not an I-Ching pictograph? Actually do not know what that is.
                            The bamboo does have a finish on it. It is a catalyzed finish, that is baked on. The finish and the glue in the plywood are rated to 300*F. The wood itself has a 3000psi load bearing rating. So it should work ok, we shall see.
                            Any other guesses on the stamp in the wood?
                            Thanks again for the inspection on the spot, the bike was looks really good when I saw it yesterday, I'm digging the mount and cedar seat.

Comment

• daroberts3
                              • Dec 2012

No problem, Ato. Never an appointment needed for a NYS Inspection at the Broken Sprocket Garage.

For anyone guessing on the symbol on the bamboo top motor mount. It is the official Roycroft Guild stamp. High quality handmade goods like leather and copper work, old world style prints and other snobbish art forms. Mount was made by a Roycroft master furniture builder, Thomas Pafk.
                              Here are some pictures of a custom oil feed line I have been working on. There is also a thread for the oil line on this forum.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• 3Deuces
                                • Nov 2012

Have you considered the effectiveness of your top mount? I looks like the only stability it will provide is lateral. Vertically it's a hinge, but it looks cool. Feel free to take this with a grain of salt since I ditched the top mount on my XS.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;