CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... Last

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default "The Greasy Dozen" Associated builders (post here)

Ok associated builders this is your spot and your chance to show off you talents. Something tells me the 12 are gona have a run for their money! By showcasing the "Official Dozen" and and the "Associated builder's Separately it allows a place for the shit talkers to focus their energies and show them up in a friendly way right here on this thread. So bring out your best boys!

If for some reason one of the "Official Dozen" can't complete their bike by June 30th, field promotions will come from the ranks of the "Associated Builders".

Please post a shot of your build in its current state and some words about the direction you taking.

Remember if you're on the "Associated Builders" winning list you need to email me bear@oldbikebarn.com to claim you spot and get set up for your builders support package.

-Bear
    Last edited by Eloso; 12-25-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Most people have seen this pic but this is where tho long chop sits as of now. Working on rear fender and sissy bar today. Hope to have more progress pics in the builders log this evening

Photobucket

Photobucket

Get Adobe Flash player

This is Magic Carpet Ride in it's current state. Plan: 70s style Triumph chop. Anyway I've dilly dicked around with this bitch long enough time to get my ass in gear and put her Greasy ass on the road. First pic, me and a mached up her before I get this other frame, second pic current state, third pic Mach up in current frame.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails uploadfromtaptalk1356456660844.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1356456694535.jpg   uploadfromtaptalk1356456762787.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by LinkBelt View Post
    This is Magic Carpet Ride in it's current state. Plan: 70s style Triumph chop. Anyway I've dilly dicked around with this bitch long enough time to get my ass in gear and put her Greasy ass on the road. First pic, me and a mached up her before I get this other frame, second pic current state, third pic Mach up in current frame.

Bro I know how disappointed you were to not be in the 12 but its effing awesome how you manned up right away and are leading by example out of the gate as and "Associated builder" this is just the kind of attitude we need to support and grow "built not bought" culture. I'm not impressed with a few of the sour almost angry emails I got from a few guys.

You got it right fosho, respect!

I look forward to seeing your progress. -Bear

P.S. now I'm gona shut up an let this thing unfold some... lets see them bikes!
    Last edited by Eloso; 12-25-2012 at 12:00 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

So pumped to be apart of this is some way. Gonna post the same pictures i posted for the entry because well I haven't started yet, but now IT'S ON. Gotta get a lot done in the next few weeks before spring semester starts...

2005 883

the plan is to do a cafe, but still haven't decided if I should do some frame chopping and make it a mono shock...Opinions?
    Last edited by Eddie209; 12-25-2012 at 12:58 PM.

livingdeadmc

Here's my xs650 I'm building. 1960s chopper influenced with lots of one off goodies. Full engine rebuild, custom frame, rebirth'ed narrow springer, it will be a showcase for all of the parts I've been developing over the past year or so. Stoked for this opportunity thanks again bear. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356461048939.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	70.4 KB 
ID:	33433 my roller hand built one of frame
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356461095776.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	104.0 KB 
ID:	33434 jockey shift

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356461129744.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	33435 Good luck pegs I make.

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356461198685.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	33436 repurposed 60s caddy hubcaps

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356461276662.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	71.5 KB 
ID:	33437 bloodleather seat.

I bought this bike completely torn down... It was a stock frame and about 100 zip lock baggies full of motor parts... Can't wait to get it on the road.

Get Adobe Flash player

Didn't make it to the 12, but happy to be an Associated Builder... For those that haven't caught my build, make your way here:
    http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24515

It's slow right now, but will hopefully be done by April. Doing this without many tools and on a budget with the help of friends. Almost all the parts I've picked up, including the bike, has come from Chop Cult members.

Get Adobe Flash player

hey guys here is the build I entered into the greasy dozen. it's a 1974 cb550. take a good look at this pile of crap at the moment cause it's gunna be a jewel in just a few months!.................

http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25275

Get Adobe Flash player

So my name is on the list and I am building a bike but I never officially entered. Though I would love to take advantage of some great deals, I don't feel like I should. I will continue to support this and believe it is a GREAT idea. Congrats to all and I will be following along.

Get Adobe Flash player

Glad to be a part of this! I've always spread the gospel of "Built Not Bought", but now I've got even more ammo for my arsenal when I get to tell folks what a great opportunity it is to be an Associated Builder!

Thanks to Bear & all the folks @ OBB!

Here's my CB900C Long Bike build & a shot of the new headlight I finally got mounted & wired!

Here's my build thread here on CC:
    http://www.chopcult.com/forum/showthread.php?t=23228
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails P1011741llel.jpg   IMAG1277.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

A lot has happened since I signed up for this competition. I was supposed to be turning a 1989 Honda Transalp into a flat tracker. I got the bike for free a couple years ago.

This is what I was supposed to be building:

I was really looking forward to doing a Honda V twin tracker, but the frame modifications and the new intake system where going to require a lot of fab work. The donor bike was a 600cc which is a little small, but I heard you could convert a Shadow 750 engine to chain drive (from shaft) with VT600 parts and install it in the Transalp frame. Last spring I found the right Shadow for cheap:

Shortly after I applied for GD I pulled the shadow into the shop. It's accumulated a little dust since I parked it.

after a lot of engine examination I found the Shadow 750 and the Transalp 600 engines have nothing in common (the internet lied to me!). There is no way this engine will fit in the TA and that chain drive conversion crap I read about is completely wrong.

If I built this bike with the 600cc Transalp engine it would make the same power as the tracker I built last year, but it would weigh more. I lost interest quickly and put the Transalp up for sale as a parts bike. I had 5 buyers for it in two hours (crazy). The Shadow will get rebuilt and sold.

Earlier this fall I bought a '75 CB400F that came in buckets.

It took a few weeks to put together

I sold the CB the day after I sold the Transalp so I had a wallet full of money but no winter project. The next day I found a 1970 Ironhead on CL. I went and picked it up that afternoon for $2000.

Well shit, this thing's ready to head to EDR like it sits, but it's not my style so it will get rebuilt into a tracker. I started off building an RS750 replica, now I'll be building that bike's biggest competition: the XR750

That orange paint is a little played so either I'll go with a bare metal and a few decals or with an Evel Kievel scheme.

I pulled off the shock mounts and had them machined down to fit modern sportster shocks.

Biltwell should have some long-travel shocks coming out next month and I'll probably be going with them.

I also pulled off the rear drum cover to fix a gouge that must have been caused by a bolt rubbing on it

I've also rebuilt the clutch, but I didn't take any pictures of it. I found a full front end for $500 (conventional forks, trees, disk brake, caliper, master cylinder, and 19" wheel). It should have arrived a couple days ago, but I'll be on the road for a few more days so I haven't been able to install it yet.
    Last edited by pablo83; 12-25-2012 at 8:02 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
    A lot has happened since I signed up for this competition.
    Hell yeah man! Its awesome how one project leads to the next and the next after that!

Knuckleduster

Default Associated Builder

Bear, I shot you an email for Associated Builder, I was likely one of the first to hit you up as Linkbelt was. I'm sure you likely just overlooked it, as I'm guessing your inbox is overflowing. I'm not salty at all that you guys didn't pick my 45 year old odd ball bike, its a 45 year old odd ball bike, hahaha.
    I haven't really gotten much further on my engine tear down, I ended up getting sick earlier in the week, but I did manage to go out and make up a kick ass points cover yesterday.
    I'll just post a link to my build thread over in the Brit/Euro section here
    And of course I'm going to let folks know that you can build a bike in your home garage with a limited budget and limited tools. Let the madness begin !
    For those click impaired here is a couple of snapshot's of the points cover that I worked up. (sory for the crappy pix my camera was acting up)
    Last edited by Knuckleduster; 12-25-2012 at 11:53 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default the witch tripper

there shall be alot more to go on this bad boy. got my brand new mini z's ready to go
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SANY2068.jpg   SANY2148.jpg  

Get Adobe Flash player

The benefits of being an Associated Builder are already paying off! Just ordered a new rear fender, thanks a lot Bear this really helps out. Anyways posted some pics in my builders log but figured Id put a couple on here as well.

Photobucket
    Photobucket
    Photobucket

Get Adobe Flash player

Great Idea on the Associated Builders thing... Lets the guys who didn't make the 12 still participate.

FWIW: Our shop, Cerberus Moto in San Diego is based around a Co-Op of sorts... We do our own thing here, but have extra space we are using for Members.. Workspace, full tools, etc. Build your own bike!!

Our submission will progress slowly, maybe making it under the 12's deadline.. Maybe. I'll post progress pics. Anyone that needs help/advice/etc, please hit me up.

www.cerberusmoto.com

-dave

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by Cerberus750 View Post
    Great Idea on the Associated Builders thing... Lets the guys who didn't make the 12 still participate.

FWIW: Our shop, Cerberus Moto in San Diego is based around a Co-Op of sorts... We do our own thing here, but have extra space we are using for Members.. Workspace, full tools, etc. Build your own bike!!

Our submission will progress slowly, maybe making it under the 12's deadline.. Maybe. I'll post progress pics. Anyone that needs help/advice/etc, please hit me up.

www.cerberusmoto.com

-dave
    I like the idea behind your shop. I'd like to do something similar.

Get Adobe Flash player

Well since I didn't make the cut... Ha ha not surprised,

This is where it started...

One of many many issues I found

Moving forward.

Had trouble settling on a solid plan.

This is where it's at presently, just waiting on getting the engine all buttoned up then I'll move forward.

MAYBE NEXT YEAR.....

Get Adobe Flash player

I'm right on the boat with how much has changed since I signed up for this. Originally I was just changing a few things on my '71 IH and building some pieces for it.
    Now I'm going a slightly different direction.

2 bikes.

1965 XLCH-Barn find-Motor needs to be gone through after it sat for 10+and became home to many a rodent. I got hired by a guy and took this in trade instead of payment.

1971 XLCH-Bought cheap from a guy that needed it gone. Ran like shit when I got it. Swapped out the carb with a Super-E and it runs like a top. Looking to redo the wiring and I don't really like the shape of the frame.

The Idea... Take the guts from the '71 and put it in the frame from the '65 after I hard tail it. I own them both. Titles for both. The 65 Frame is much nicer.

-Hard tail '65 frame
    -Build my own exhaust.
    -Repair some of the janky ass shit the previous owners fucked up.
    -Decide between the 4over or stock front ends.
    -Rewire
    -Run the 16" invader rear and spoked front with dual drums.
    That should be enough to keep me busy for a while.

My ultimate goal will be to get the '65 Motor back in the 65 Frame but I can't afford the stuff that that motor needs this time around. So, this will be the direction the build goes with a deadline of 2013 riding weather in Wisconsin (about 3 months)

Here is how it sits today.

Pumped to be even the smallest bit a part of this thing. Hope I can help some others along the way. Love critique so bring it on.

-Luke D/V
    Last edited by DirtyVulture; 12-26-2012 at 9:50 PM. Reason: stupid pic movin!///typos

Get Adobe Flash player

Well guys I got the day off due to whether here in Texas, so to the shop I went. First things first since my shop is my back porch and there are no doors to close out came the old salamander heater. Then it was off to work on the bike. First I had already fabricated some tabs for the lower motor mounts. Now to get them attached. Got me a piece of 1"2" square tube and went to work laying it out.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356570429870.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	33482
    Then a little fun with the drill press and a 1" bi-metal hole saw bit.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356570548304.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	79.0 KB 
ID:	33483
    Next broke out the 4-1/2" grinder with a cutting disk and check fitment.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356570735378.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	33484
    Then tack them all inClick image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356570820755.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	63.9 KB 
ID:	33485 andClick image for larger version. 

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1356570862543.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	59.4 KB 
ID:	33486 The first time I did this I took for granted that they were center. There is a 1/4" off set on the lower mounts. Anyway that's my progress for today.

Share This