Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geezer2
    • Nov 2011

Jockey shifters & age

Hey guys & gals, I'm 61 and toying with fabbing up a jockey on my 05 Super Glide. I know the plus and minuses of this set up, but what I'm curious about is whether any older guys here run em and if so have you encountered age specific problems with it? Are there any older guys here?
    Just kiddin! Geezer
  • bobscogin
    • Jun 2011

I'm 63 and haven't ridden a jockey shift in well over 40 years. Don't miss it either. What advantage do you find in it?
    Do you have a physical condition that precludes use of a hand clutch?
    Bob

Comment

• geezer2
      • Nov 2011

No advantage, just a change. No problems with the hand clutch. Just wondering if older guys have out grown em or encountered joint pain, knee pain or other maladies with their use.

Comment

• vetto
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by geezer2
        No advantage, just a change. No problems with the hand clutch. Just wondering if older guys have out grown em or encountered joint pain, knee pain or other maladies with their use.
        I jockey my bike, and at 41 years old, I am only now starting to get creaky and blind

with regard to physical pain/difficulty, since I dont have any, I can only guess based on my experience. I think the foot clutch/jockey shift set-up is WAY simpler. The clutch pedal isnt like your pickup truck, it isn't stiff and you shoudnt even have to lift your leg if the pedal is fabricated as such. And the shifter...the jockey handle attached to a baker N1 drum is tits! slapping it around HAS to be easier than a tow operated shifter (again, if we are talking about old age joint pain)

Have you ever foot clutched a bike before?

Comment

• ran
          • Jan 2011

Jockey shift in my opinion is just as easy to ride with as standard set up. I never intend on going back.

Comment

• threat357
            • Apr 2012

Originally posted by ran
            Jockey shift in my opinion is just as easy to ride with as standard set up. I never intend on going back.
            ^this
            Plus, it's more fun.

Sent from hell

Comment

• Buster68
              • Nov 2010

How old is "older"? I am 43, and running a jockey shift, and love it. I have run a foot clutch / tank shifter on a previous bike, and actually prefer the full-on, behind the seat, straight off the tranny jockey shift - I find it a more intuitive location to reach and shift.

Comment

• pj
                • Dec 2012

I am only 35, I like my jockey shift but theres some things to consider. Do you ride in alot of traffic ? Are your reaction times as fast as they should be ? Are you a quick learner ? The jockey can take sometime to get used to so I would practice alot before you have a passenger or ride in heavy traffic.

Comment

• Branner
                  • Mar 2011

44 and ride jockey. I switched my bike over four years ago, only regret is not doing it sooner.

Comment

• bobscogin
                    • Jun 2011

Originally posted by vetto
                    And the shifter...the jockey handle attached to a baker N1 drum is tits!
                    That's cheating! A real jockey shifter--one that's converted from a tank shift--, doesn't even have detents for the gear positions. What a pain in the ass. No wonder we converted to footshift.

Bob

Comment

• jdizon
                      • May 2012

Originally posted by geezer2
                      Hey guys & gals, I'm 61 and toying with fabbing up a jockey on my 05 Super Glide. I know the plus and minuses of this set up, but what I'm curious about is whether any older guys here run em and if so have you encountered age specific problems with it? Are there any older guys here?
                      Just kiddin! Geezer
                      Do it!! You would look and feel 10 years younger be careful tho!

Comment

• Flashback
                        • May 2010

I'm 60 and I ride a stretched rigid with a frame mounted seat (no springs) jockey shift and a kicker. I love it. Just depends on how bad you beat yourself up in the last 60 years lol. On a good day I can still ride it 200 miles before my ass goes flat and numb.

Comment

• Jetblack
                          • Apr 2024

I'm more concerned about sitting on my saggy ol balls; or rolling and pinching a nut in some binding ass jeans leaving a stop, instant sick belly.

My hand shift style with a regular perched, is no clutch on the up shifts; and rpm speed matching it's super smooth. Then just clutch coast for stops, bump into first with my knee or hooking my toe depending on jockey or hand, then throttle out...rinse repeat. Learning rpm's and sounds for your gear matching for speed is my best advice. If you need to gear jam down clutchless, rpm speed matching will be your best friend; hit the wrong gear at the wrong rpm on the down, and the rear can go into a skid along with your underwear.

I haven't ridden one that was foot clutched...but I can imagine it's much easier; the learning curve there, would be to stop trying to change gears with the fucking clutch pedal, or grabbing for a ghost lever for me haha. Some old habits decades in the making are hard to break.
                          Last edited by Guest; 12-28-2012, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• vetto
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by bobscogin
                            That's cheating! A real jockey shifter--one that's converted from a tank shift--, doesn't even have detents for the gear positions. What a pain in the ass. No wonder we converted to footshift.

Bob
                            Holy Shit! can you imagine? hit a bump in the road and instantly go from 4th to 2nd! That would be so cool though, fab up a shift gate to mount under the seat and watch the hipsters line up to see the next big thing! LOL!

Comment

• bobscogin
                              • Jun 2011

Originally posted by vetto
                              Holy Shit! can you imagine? hit a bump in the road and instantly go from 4th to 2nd! That would be so cool though, fab up a shift gate to mount under the seat and watch the hipsters line up to see the next big thing! LOL!
                              Yeah, if they gotta have a special shift drum to put neutral at the bottom, what would they do with a real jockey shifter?!!

Bob

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;