Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob86
    • Mar 2010

Question on late 40s/early 50s triumph frames

A buddy's grandfather has an old trump tiger frame, engine and what I think is a slightly later set of forks that he wants to sell. I'm going to go try check it all out tomorrow but the frame is either a 48 or a 52 apparently and the motor is a pre unit tiger 100 of similar vintage.
    What I would like to know is can a later or aftermarket hard tail be used on the frame? I'd like it with a little more stretch than stock, closer to the lines of a 60s frame with little to no stretch, is this possible without going to too much trouble or should I just hold out for a later bike?

Any input is greatly appreciated - Cheers!
  • LinkBelt
    • Oct 2010

Lucas at The Factory Metal Works sells pre unit hard tail but you will find anything pre unit is hard to find and expensive. My advice is to hold out. Plenty of 70s style unit survivers out there on the cheap. There is a Guy on here has a good deal on one he goes by Backwithabang check with him.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• TheLakewoodKid2
      • Nov 2009

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Comment

• Torch
        • Jul 2009

a word of caution....

in many states registering a bike with an "Aftermarket Frame" will make the bike a 2013 "Special Construction" motorcycle and it will no longer be a 1952 Triumph motorcycle.

A 2013 bike is subject to the laws requiring turn signals and some other things.

Check first before you decide.
        Last edited by Torch; 12-19-2012, 8:57 AM.

Comment

• CRFyou
          • Mar 2010

Here's my 1950 with a stock frame.

I'm 6'5" tall and I rock this shit all day.

FUCK IT!

Comment

• Torch
            • Jul 2009

A really "big" guy doesn't care what other people think.

you should be working dude... not on here
            Last edited by Torch; 12-19-2012, 9:16 AM.

Comment

• CRFyou
              • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Torch
              A really "big" guy doesn't care what other people think.

you should be working dude... not on here
              Hahaha!

If I should be working, then shouldn't you?

If only there was a calculation for how much I've been paid while on Chop Cult...

Comment

• Rob86
                • Mar 2010

Thanks guys. I was half asleep and still had a massive boner at the idea of getting another triumph so what I meant was more along the lines of wanting to know if there is anything wacky or strange about those years to avoid etc and if the rigid pre unit frames or front ends rather were the same as the swing arm ones but you guys answered that anyway so thanks again.

@linkbelt, that's perfect there's actually an agent for their stuff near me. I should mention that I'm in Australia so everything is rare and expensive so I'm still game.

@torch Sydney's road rules are as gnarley and nazi as they come and you are right, with a new frame I would have to go down the icv route which I'm in no way interested in or have the time for. I'm pretty sure I'll be ok with just rear end swap or get it tittled and then go to town on it

@lakewoodkid2 @crfyou I do love how the stock frames sit, the pre unit mike davis builds damn near ruin my pants but I'd like a touch more room back there for what I've got going on in my head. It's not a height issue either, the first rigid I ever rode was a stock frame 56 that a mate still has and that felt comfy and super nimble.

Anyway thanks for the reply's and speak up if there is anything you think of

Comment

• Speedfiend
                  • Dec 2009

Yes, there are a few places to get longer, bolt on hard tails for pre unit frames. Depending on the year, the later pre units where swing arm frames- still, you can get bolt on hard tails for those as well.

DON"T listen to anyone who says just cop out and find a unit construction bike. That's just plain dumb. Theres a good reason the pre unit stuff is more expensive; Pre units always have been and always will be cooler than a unit ever dreamed about being. Its a fact.
                  Last edited by Speedfiend; 12-20-2012, 7:00 PM.

Comment

• vorhese
                    • Jul 2010

Dear jebus what I'd do to have that unaltered rigid frame. No stretch.

Comment

• Kb65
                      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by CRFyou
                      Here's my 1950 with a stock frame.

I'm 6'5" tall and I rock this shit all day.

FUCK IT!

Very Nice.....Who makes the Tank on that bike? - like to find one like that.........

Comment

• CRFyou
                        • Mar 2010

Originally posted by Kb65

Very Nice.....Who makes the Tank on that bike? - like to find one like that.........
                        It's a Wassell tank. I cut the monza cap off of a BSA 441 Victor tank that was un-repairable and riveted it to the tank.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                        Working...
                        ;