Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • backwithabang
    • May 2011

Originally posted by tattoo2303
    You my friend sound like a wizard, and I like it! I know there's more than one way to skin a cat but hadn't thought of some of the things you brought up. Something I've been curious about is if I register my bike to New Jersey would that do away with the need for an inspection?? Is it "legal"?
    You can ride a bike in nys with other plates and they can't subject you to nys laws. Same with a car. When I lived in Chicago I kept my expired nys Reggie and plates and they couldn't do shit to me. Nor did I have to pay any parking tickets because my license was still from ny so I had no need to go to their DMV. Look no farther than uhaul every truck they have is registered in Arizona. That is because they don't need to inspect them in that state so they can be rolling death traps and often are

Just know your laws. Find loopholes. I was pre-law in college. Just became a vagrant instead. NY has a bunch of "tough" laws but they are relatively plastic and easy to get around. Also boys... If your old lady has any evidence you banged a gal out of state it's not admissible in nys divorce court. Sure you'll still get divorced but she may not get everything you own
    Last edited by backwithabang; 12-19-2012, 8:35 PM.

Comment

• Brendden
      • Dec 2012

I know this doesnt matter in NY but in texas, if you got them they ahve to work, if you dont, well you dont.

Comment

• ugotbit
        • Sep 2012

I'm in NY too, Albany area.

I've had sportbikes in the past, and got my dick busted for no mirrors and vertical plate mounts. I acutally got pulled over TWO times on the Northway on my way to work for the SAME things (mirrors and plate)

My 67 is my first chop, and honestly I thought about paying a little extra to get "Historical" plates. Figured the cops wouldn't want to waste their time on me and my no turn signals. I'm paranoid because the numbers on the case don't match the frame, though it's titled and they are both clean.

Comment

• backwithabang
          • May 2011

There is no "law" against a vertical plate yet other than it having to be on the left side and have a light that I know of. But I know that's changing and I think you can actually have the plate printed vertically now for an extra cost. But a cop can pull you over for not being able to "read" the plate well and that will hold up and give him reason to nail you for everything else he wants. There will be a shitload of changes and stricter inspections next season due to the insane number of accidents, deaths, Ect in NYS in the past year

Comment

• nate00
            • Nov 2012

Im in NY too (Lake George area) and we get harassed for every little thing up this way by the state police. County cops rarely give a shit, but the state boys have some power trip once they got you pulled over i guess they figure they might as well write you for everything he can.

Comment

• trithumper
              • Sep 2010

Be real careful here fellas. I live in TN. There is no turn signal law for a motorcycle. I got pulled over by an asshole of a cop. I was charged with NO moving violation! Was doing NOTHING wrong. It was after dark and he wrote me a NO TURN SIGNAL ticket. He claimed after dark hand signals were not sufficient. I went to court to fight it. He threw up a simple lighting law about distance from behind in which you must be visible. I asked the judge if the law he quoted was referring to a taillight and not a signal!?!?! The judge sided with the officer (of course) and the ticket cost me $375. They will bend the rules to get ya if they want ya!

Comment

• bobscogin
                • Jun 2011

The Feds made installation of turn signals by the bike manufacturers mandatory for bikes built January 1 1973 and after. Most states follow that FMVSS law when looking for compliance but I've heard of exceptions.

Bob

Comment

• planningoncrashing
                  • Apr 2012

Originally posted by trithumper
                  Be real careful here fellas. I live in TN. There is no turn signal law for a motorcycle. I got pulled over by an asshole of a cop. I was charged with NO moving violation! Was doing NOTHING wrong. It was after dark and he wrote me a NO TURN SIGNAL ticket. He claimed after dark hand signals were not sufficient. I went to court to fight it. He threw up a simple lighting law about distance from behind in which you must be visible. I asked the judge if the law he quoted was referring to a taillight and not a signal!?!?! The judge sided with the officer (of course) and the ticket cost me $375. They will bend the rules to get ya if they want ya!
                  This will be long and off-topic, but I hate to see stuff like this happen. You got worked there, man. They can only bend the rules so far. For future reference...

TCA § 55-8-144.b : Any motor vehicle in use on a highway shall be equipped with, and required signal shall be given by, a signal lamp or lamps or mechanical signal device approved by the department when the distance from the center of the top of the steering post to the left outside limit of the body, cab or load of the motor vehicle exceeds twenty-four inches (24''), or when the distance from the center of the top of the steering post to the rear limit of the body or load thereof exceeds fourteen feet (14').

That's what makes turn signals non-compulsory on motorcycles in Tennessee. They're not long enough or wide enough to require turn signals.

TCA § 55-8-143.b : [Which deals with signaling turns.] The signal required in this section shall be given by means of the hand and arm, or by some mechanical or electrical device approved by the department of safety, in the manner specified in this section. [It then describes hand signals.]

That's what provides the alternative signals we can use.

If you're going to dispute a ticket, go to court armed with something. The cop wouldn't have written the ticket if he didn't think he could defend it on some grounds, even if they're trumped-up and irrelevant (as in this case). The first excerpt shows clear intent on the part of the lawmakers to exempt small motor vehicles from being required to have lighted turn signals, and there is no mention of after-dark visibility with hand signals in Tennessee Code, nor is there any FMVSS requirement for the same. You don't have to know that there's no FMVSS requirement for hand signal visibility, you just have to ask the judge to make the officer produce the FMVSS requirement for hand signal visibility, which of course he won't be able to do.

You can find the first excerpt by doing a full-text search for "turn signal": http://www.lexisnexis.com/hottopics/tncode/, and the second with a little poking around (it's just prior).

Tennessee is easy, because Lexis has all the searchable code up for free right now, but most states have code available online with some digging. An hour of homework might save you $375 next time.

Comment

• Andy
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by bobscogin
                    The Feds made installation of turn signals by the bike manufacturers mandatory for bikes built January 1 1973 and after. Most states follow that FMVSS law when looking for compliance but I've heard of exceptions.
                    Yep it's a federal madate and should be enforced by all states. That ama link is not accurate, they list nj as not needed turn signals, and that's not true. Check your state dmv website as they might list the year turn signals are necessary, but don't get hung up on it. If you take it easy and don't create a scene the cops aren't going to bust your balls.

Comment

• Andy
                      • Sep 2009

Originally posted by backwithabang
                      You can ride a bike in nys with other plates and they can't subject you to nys laws. Same with a car.
                      You have to be careful with this one. Things like tinted windows might fly if your registered state allows them and the state you're in doesn't. But things like loud pipes, etc. most likely won't fly and you could very well get a ticket. States use tickets as revenue, they know if you're from out of state that you'll most likely pay the ticket as you don't want to go to court.

Comment

• Andy
                        • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ugotbit
                        My 67 is my first chop, and honestly I thought about paying a little extra to get "Historical" plates. Figured the cops wouldn't want to waste their time on me and my no turn signals. I'm paranoid because the numbers on the case don't match the frame, though it's titled and they are both clean.
                        Be careful with historical plates, some states have restrictions on miles and that the vehicle is to be used for shows, etc., no daily riding/commuting. I don't think they really enforce it, but when I read the information for here in Jersey, I said screw it and I'll keep my regular registration.

You shouldn't have to worry about signals on a '67 as the federal mandate is something like '73 or what was mentioned in another post.

What you need to worry about is your '67 having frame numbers. A stock '67 frame doesn't have frame numbers, the only vin number is the one of the left side case. Maybe your bike is titled as a special construction?

Comment

• ugotbit
                          • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Andy
                          Be careful with historical plates, some states have restrictions on miles and that the vehicle is to be used for shows, etc., no daily riding/commuting. I don't think they really enforce it, but when I read the information for here in Jersey, I said screw it and I'll keep my regular registration.

You shouldn't have to worry about signals on a '67 as the federal mandate is something like '73 or what was mentioned in another post.

What you need to worry about is your '67 having frame numbers. A stock '67 frame doesn't have frame numbers, the only vin number is the one of the left side case. Maybe your bike is titled as a special construction?
                          Andy- I did see on the DMV site that "You cannot use a historical vehicle for daily transportation" I'm not exactly sure what that means, but the bike is not my main source of transporttation, so I figured it was worth a shot.

That's the first I have heard about a 67 Trump not having frame numbers. They look legit, match the title, and it's titled as a 1967 TR6 Triumph.

Comment

• Andy
                            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by ugotbit
                            Andy- I did see on the DMV site that "You cannot use a historical vehicle for daily transportation" I'm not exactly sure what that means, but the bike is not my main source of transporttation, so I figured it was worth a shot.

That's the first I have heard about a 67 Trump not having frame numbers. They look legit, match the title, and it's titled as a 1967 TR6 Triumph.
                            Yeah that's the same thing they say here in Jersey, it means you are to only be using that vehicle for shows, educational purposes, etc. If you ride to work everyday and a cop really wants to break balls, they can. Watch with insurance as well, some of the classic/historical vehicle insurances have milage restrictions and the no daily driving, etc. I don't think anyone ever gets their balls busted for this, but you never know?

Sorry, thought your were referring to a '67 Harley, that's why I mentioned that there should be no frame numbers. Thanks for clarifying that you have a '67 Triumph.

Comment

• trifive
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by backwithabang
                              Your bike needs them 72 and up unless the model never had them up to 1985. Take an xlch or r serial number triumph for example

As said. Don't drive like an asshole in the city and cops will leave you alone. Suburbs though you'll be fucked either way.
                              My advice for suburb guys is small or led signals mounted somewhere where they don't stick out. Also make sure you get a pink my little pony horn from toys r us and zip tie that bad boy on there.

Also baffles/mufflers. Use the letter of the law to your advantage here. Use a lollipop (bolt with a washer welded to it at the end of your pipe). It not only technically defines a baffle it makes it impossible to the cops to stick that sound measuring device in your pipe, therefore not giving them any real evidence to charge you with. Since I hate this state here's some more advice. If you chop a Harley that has frame numbers and use a different frame keep that frame and use it again. You need to only insure and register one of those bikes and they both will be "legal". Just switch the plate when you ride one. Use an inspection sticker bolt on plate and switch that too. Have a bike with no papers? Do not get it bonded. Make sure the numbers are clear and sell it to someone on paper in Maine (you'll find someone who does this trust me). He registers it in Maine which requires no title and will sell it back to you along with a paper from Maine that every other state must treat as a title.

Fuck this state. Every hour you work close to 8 percent of your hourly is going to welfare. Just because you can't pop out 8 kids from 8 different fathers sit home and watch opera on a 60 inch We paid for and drop the kids off at daycare in an escalade we paid for doesn't mean we can't fuck this state too

***remember your average DMV employee doesn't care and is stupid. You can pull off some serious Andy Dufraine motorcycle identity shit in this state and make it legal with the right paperwork. I can walk you through making a 62 hd keep its transferable registration with s and s case numbers or merely inventing a 50s EL number by switching the place of a letter and number (whoops typographic error and since that number never existed its clean) just don't go entering it at a AMA show and all will be just fine
                              Great advice-If you want a fistful of tickets and/or your bike impounded,Affixing a state inspection sticker to a removable plate is a definite no-no. Zip tie a horn to the bike? Take a look at the inspection regulations in NY. The inspection sticker must be permanently affixed to a structural member and visible when approaching the bike from the left. The horn must be audible at a distance of 200 feet. These two items will get you ticketed and more than likely get your bike a thorough going over for other infractions . What do you think will happen when the officer can't find any frame numbers?

Comment

• backwithabang
                                • May 2011

Originally posted by trifive
                                Great advice-If you want a fistful of tickets and/or your bike impounded,Affixing a state inspection sticker to a removable plate is a definite no-no. Zip tie a horn to the bike? Take a look at the inspection regulations in NY. The inspection sticker must be permanently affixed to a structural member and visible when approaching the bike from the left. The horn must be audible at a distance of 200 feet. These two items will get you ticketed and more than likely get your bike a thorough going over for other infractions . What do you think will happen when the officer can't find any frame numbers?
                                Holy shit, apparently Mario cuomo is on chopcult now, I'm sure my acab tattoo on my neck will help me just fine getting tickets without my horn helping the matter, So do whatever the fuck you want. Play by their rules or play in the grey area. I see tons of fucking baggers rocking the plate inspections brackets. Everyone I know rocks the squeak horn for inspection. If you think that a stock horn on a 67 triumph is any louder than a squeak horn you are an idiot. And if they want to hit you for that than I'd demand how he would know that my stock horn or squeak horn could be heard from over traffic and my engine any differently and from beyond 200 feet with the pig's window closed and his a/c and radio on.

If you are so worried about a cop looking for frame numbers. Then stamp them in. Oh shit, that may be illegal too, I'm sorry. But fuck this state and fuck every cop I ever met. I will continue to find every loophole I can and try to use it. I will have a valid argument on everything they try to get me on. And if that doesn't work I'll go to jail for a night and pay a fine. You want to play in the grey areas you run the risk of a cop hitting you for everything but I'm gonna play the odds that if you keep your mouth shut and don't mouth off that your average cop isn't going to know as much as we do about bikes, and more importantly not go through all the time and effort of hitting you with all that paperwork if you aren't being an asshole.

To each their own, I never liked playing by the rules, or ever liked a cop. My advice and ways are taunting to the legal system. Maybe people like you run big fat directionals on their chop and fucking wear flourescent green vests for visibility, an actual DOT helmet, and carry an actual fucking stamped neck on them in case they are asked for frame numbers to match on a later Harley model. Mufflers measured to NYS decibel level acceptance and so on. People do. That's their thing. It's not mine. I have been playing this game for years in this state with no problems. I'm sure ill run into them eventually. But until then....I also specified this shit won't work everywhere especially in the burbs. I ride primarily in a city. Where cops have better things to do then nail guys not bothering anybody with 900 violations. If I go for a longer jaunt do you think I'd be stupid enough to bring a Panhead that's louder than Godzilla taking a shit, with questionable numbers through some posh suburb's Main Street? This is all about using your head people. And if you only have one bike or live in high class suburb? logically it would be wise to play by most of the rules. That's common sense.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;