Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bobbed883
    • Sep 2009

Sporty Rocker Gasket Change?

So my bike(1994 Sporty) is leaking oil from the rocker box (which seems to be common), so I need to replace the rocker gaskets. For those that have done it on an Evo Sportster, what tips do you have? I found pretty thorough instructions on another forum and I have a Clymers manual so I'm confident it should be pretty straight-forward, just looking for any tips you have.
  • greenlight23
    • Jan 2010

not to hard just be careful not to pinch gaskets when putting the new ones back on

Comment

• tobiism
      • Aug 2009

My advice is to use the updated gasket kit that has the rubber coated metal gaskets. Make sure you follow the torque specs to the "T" on all of those bolts.

Comment

• onigoroshi
        • Aug 2009

What they said. If you're referring to the XLForum the instructions there are very good, here are a few tips:

1. Let the lifters bleed properly
        2. Don't pinch the new gaskets
        3. Follow the torque specs and be careful not to mix up ft/lbs and inch/lbs.
        4. Use the HD gasket kit
        5. You'll want to get a plastic scraper for taking the old paper gaskets off
        6. Pay attention to the markings on the pushrods
        7. On mine the left-rear screw that holds on the top rocker cover was a bitch to get off, check clearance in advance you may need a cut-down allen key.

I tackled this in a couple hours on the 4-foot wide strip of concrete in front of my apartment so you don't need much.

Comment

• Bobbed883
          • Sep 2009

So the HD ones are better than James gaskets?

Comment

• onigoroshi
            • Aug 2009

I don't know about the quality of those particular gaskets but the HD gaskets work very well so there's no need to get fancy. If you already have the James gaskets give them a try.

Comment

• eliwolf6
              • Aug 2009

super easy, when your taking the rokers apart just loosen the bolts in a criss-cross pattern to release the pressure evenly. ive used cometic gaskets, worked good, and ive used the hd set, no problems with either... good luck

Comment

• Bujah
                • Nov 2009

2 keys
                1. Make sure the surfaces that mate up to the gaskets are clean.
                2. Proper torque on the bolts.

That should be it, along with the above advice, you'll be fine.

Comment

• TOOL
                  • Aug 2009

Cometic Gasket kit works great and also comes with the Umbrella Valves....change them.

Comment

• Nicko
                    • Sep 2009

The techs in R&D told us a couple of years ago that the evos & sporty's blowing the rocker box gaskets was due to no enough warm up....not sure if that was true, but every on we do in the shop, we tell the customer to wait a minute or so and let the top end expand a bit before riding....it is an easy fix. Shave down an allen to drop in the left side rear 3/16 allens so you can get at them a bit quicker too...good hint for removing the 1/4" allens on the intake with S&S carbs as well....

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                    Working...
                    ;