Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Broke86Yam
    • Sep 2012

Single Carb for an '86 Virago 1100?

Still having trouble with Betsy (apparently that's my Virago's name. don't ask). I took out the reserve tank because of rust. I cleaned the carbs and tank. I ran Sea Foam through it and had it running. It would backfire with the choke on, but ran smooth with it off. Now it cranks, but won't catch. I'm going to change the fuel filter. Next steps are different tank and switching from the dual Hitachi's to a single carb. I saw JeremyResults ' intake and would do something similar. What kind of carb should I use? Do I have to find a carb with the same CFM as the dual Hitachi's in order to not lose performance?
  • outlawTA
    • Aug 2012

The way to go

My buddy has an '85 XV1000. He got rid of the reserve tank and converted it to gravity feed fuel and single carb. Greatest move ever with the carb setup. Now it's super reliable, crisp, responsive, and more powerful. As long as you get everything timed and tuned in and the carb is jetted to the pipe setup you should be able to use one of the original carbs.

It got rid of the several reliability and performance issues that, from what we hear, plague the '80s Viragos. If you want I can hunt down the info for the guy that makes the intakes. Super cool fella to deal with and very reasonable pricing. He'll even rebuild and tune a carb to match your pipe setup AND test it for 100 miles on his own ride. No bullshit.
    Attached Files

Comment

• gs650
      • Jul 2010

I used the stock front carb and made an intake manifold out of stainless pipe. I drilled the main jet a little at a time and shimmed the needle until it ran right. Now the bike runs great, crisp response and pulls hard all the way through.

Comment

• Broke86Yam
        • Sep 2012

Thanks both. I think this is the direction I am going to take.

GS, how much drilling did you have to do and how did you shim the needle?

Comment

• gs650
          • Jul 2010

I don't remeber the exact size drill bit but it's pretty small maybe around a #60?? I used #10 washers for the needle.

Comment

• Broke86Yam
            • Sep 2012

How did you shim the needle?

Comment

• Rufford
              • Sep 2013

Originally posted by gs650
              I used the stock front carb and made an intake manifold out of stainless pipe. I drilled the main jet a little at a time and shimmed the needle until it ran right. Now the bike runs great, crisp response and pulls hard all the way through.

I really like your intake.I played around with PVC and found out a 90deg. elbow doesn't come out square between the cylinders. What angles did you cut to make your elbow?By the way i'm new to the site and building a 1985 XV700 bobber.I want to go with the single carb manifold using one of the stock Hitachi carbs.

Comment

• deathmetaldan
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by outlawTA
                My buddy has an '85 XV1000. He got rid of the reserve tank and converted it to gravity feed fuel and single carb. Greatest move ever with the carb setup. Now it's super reliable, crisp, responsive, and more powerful. As long as you get everything timed and tuned in and the carb is jetted to the pipe setup you should be able to use one of the original carbs.

It got rid of the several reliability and performance issues that, from what we hear, plague the '80s Viragos. If you want I can hunt down the info for the guy that makes the intakes. Super cool fella to deal with and very reasonable pricing. He'll even rebuild and tune a carb to match your pipe setup AND test it for 100 miles on his own ride. No bullshit.
                i am pretty sure you are talking about "searayguy" he sells intakes on ebay. From what i understand he has turned into a flake and not sending out parts that were paid for. I had one of his intakes and they dont look pretty but they work. He rejetted my carb in exchange for the left over carb and a little cash, if he has any already converted carbs you can just buy one from him.

i also used the wise guy choppers intake and didnt like it. The wise guy intake is easier to install but it has greater potential for vacuum leaks because it is multiple pieces.
                Last edited by deathmetaldan; 09-08-2013, 7:01 PM.

Comment

• goudy
                  • Mar 2013

Virago single carb

I have a 96 Virago 1100 with a kjs system with a 40mm flatslide and all the pollution crap removed and plugged, I broke the handlebar pulling 2nd to 3rd shift now they could have been defective bars all I can say it pulls really hard. G

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                  Working...
                  ;