Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BurlyBrand
    • Jul 2011

Sportster Scrambler Build

Rack, pan and other parts are welded up and ready for the powder coater. Found a grill intended for a moped and welded it to the headlight ring. Love the look. Kickstand is the longer version already, but still not long enough, so we added a 3/4" foot to it and then drilled that out a bit to reduce weight at the end (hopefully keep it from overcoming the spring and flopping around). Vertical tubes are fork sleeves with turn signal tabs and will likely see production next year.

Photobucket

Photobucket

These guys did the work for us and are really reasonably priced. Their place is in Corona, CA

Photobucket

Comment

• pablo83
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by BurlyBrand
      Shocks are part of the secret new stuff program and they should stroke between 4 and 5 inches. Look for a release on them in January.
      Cool. I'll keep an eye out for them.

Comment

• brooklynbomber
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by BurlyBrand
        We'll get there. Couple of new parts on it that we can't share yet. Play along and we'll make it worth your while.
        fair enough.

Comment

• BurlyBrand
          • Jul 2011

Final post for today. Kind of some randoms.

Stocker small tank looked pretty wrong for a Scrambler so we reached out to Facebook and scored this from one of our fans. Some really cool guys out there and we've seen more than our fair share of help along the way. It's much appreciated.

Photobucket

V&H filter is a clean simple unit that wont rip up your knee. We like that. Dynojet knows their shit and are always our go-to for jetting kits.

Photobucket

Stock disc really did not want to exit the stock wheel. Two torx and a big hammer later we convinced it.

Photobucket

Here's mock up of new fork sleeves and Kuryakyn signals (rattle canned for effect!). Super clean and compact.

Photobucket
          Last edited by BurlyBrand; 12-16-2012, 6:06 PM.

Comment

• CoyoteUSP
            • Mar 2011

Did I miss a post or is there a skidplate under there??

And while I have your attention, what did you use to spray the rear hoop? I just hacked my struts and not sure how I should get them fixed up.
            Last edited by CoyoteUSP; 12-12-2012, 3:31 PM.

Comment

• BurlyBrand
              • Jul 2011

Skid plate is a proto as well. We'll dig up a pic in a future post.

Used a Rust-Oleum Engine enamel on the rear hoop. Scrubbed it with cheese cloth, cleaned with acetone and sprayed three coats. Should hold until we crash the bike and have to rebuild it.

Originally posted by CoyoteUSP
              Did I miss a post or is there a skidplate under there??

And while I have your attention, what did you use to spray the rear hoop? I just hacked my struts and not sure how I should get them fixed up.

Comment

• jorgun
                • Oct 2012

Black box is a DKWTF Module! (Don't Know What The Fuck) it is for so yank it out!!
                Great lookin build guys!!!

Comment

• BurlyBrand
                  • Jul 2011

Yeh, we kinda thought that's what it was. It's gone and thanks for the compliment!

Originally posted by jorgun
                  Black box is a DKWTF Module! (Don't Know What The Fuck) it is for so yank it out!!
                  Great lookin build guys!!!

Comment

• Isgro
                    • Aug 2009

Diggin this build. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Comment

• BurlyBrand
                      • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Isgro
                      Diggin this build. Really looking forward to seeing the finished product.
                      Thanks man. Should be fun to ride, too!
                      Last edited by BurlyBrand; 12-13-2012, 6:31 PM.

Comment

• NHMike
                        • Apr 2024

Looking good man!

Comment

• BurlyBrand
                          • Jul 2011

Thanks for the love to those that have chimed in. Always appreciated.

Getting the seat sorted out next. Semi elusive goal of a flat brat/scrambler style seat is looking like it will come together. Shaped the steel pan to lay on top of the frame tubes and pivot at the tank bolt. Couple of tabs in the rear locate it when it's down, may throw some velcro in there, otherwise gravity is our seat latch. Printed out a pic of a seat we liked and broght it and the pan to local upholstery shop. They got a little nervous that we were so specific as to the look of the seat and asked us to stay and babysit the foaming process. Fair enough, it was cool to see. $150 well spent.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Returned later in the week to this lovely gem. Distressed mocha brown and ribbed for our pleasure.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Balance of the powder coated parts are next and it'll be back on its wheels soon.
                          Last edited by BurlyBrand; 12-13-2012, 6:33 PM.

Comment

• Nosebleed
                            • Mar 2010

Nice! Just went through the whole thread. I have some similar ideas for a 95 XL that's sitting on the table in the garage. You totally stole my "hoop" idea there, and I don't appreciate it. Haha. Nice to see that someone is already making one of those; might have to look that up.

As for those new shocks, sounds awesome. I'll keep an eye out for those.

Love it so far, gentlemen!

Comment

• BurlyBrand
                              • Jul 2011

Thanks man. We'll tell people the hoop was your idea. Seriously, though, it went on with zero drama. Surprised others have not done it before. Bonus points to Dime City in Florida for having a pre-bent unit, too.

Originally posted by Nosebleed
                              Nice! Just went through the whole thread. I have some similar ideas for a 95 XL that's sitting on the table in the garage. You totally stole my "hoop" idea there, and I don't appreciate it. Haha. Nice to see that someone is already making one of those; might have to look that up.

As for those new shocks, sounds awesome. I'll keep an eye out for those.

Love it so far, gentlemen!

Comment

• BurlyBrand
                                • Jul 2011

Someone had asked about the skid plate a few posts back. This one is rough proto. IF we get enough requests, we'll build it.

Photobucket

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;