Email Password Mobile Version / Desktop Version
Search
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Sportster Scrambler Build

McGoo said we should do a build thread (not sure we know him well enough to call him that, but Bill said it's OK), so here we go.

Couple of new parts coming out next year and a build is sometimes the best way to show them off. That and we don't work in this industry because it's making us rich, we actually like motorcycles.

Bike is a 2006 883 we bummed off a good friend (for the record, we're not giving it back). We used it for photoshoot years ago and left a Slammer kit on it. It came back to us nearly identical with only a few more miles, so he wont miss it.

Here's a crappy pic of the bike on day one. We like that it has an engine, the rest of it probably needs to go.

Photobucket
    Last edited by BurlyBrand; 12-16-2012 at 7:02 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

The foundation of the build is a set of Continental TKC80's. These giant knobb'd tires are a favorite of the ADV set and they swear they'll work just as nice on asphalt as they do dirt. Guys on orange motorcycles rarely lie, so we scored a set. Next problem is they only make a 17" for the rear.

We hit up Sam at Ride Wright wheels and he built us an inexpensive set of black steel wheels in a 17/19 combo. As close to factory sizes as we could get. The polished hubs were an added bonus.

If you have time to kill or are curious what a purple rim with orange nipples might look like take a peek at their wheel builder page. http://www.ridewrightwheels.com/pages/wheel-builder

Photobucket
    Credit where credit is due. Guys at Skip Fordyce in Riverside mounted them for us.
    Last edited by BurlyBrand; 12-16-2012 at 7:03 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

Time is tight, so we're doing a lot of this after hours. First night brought us to here. Plan is to powder coat everything we can get off the bike a glossy black.

stripped

Next night we made the real commitment to the project

Photobucket

Photobucket
    Last edited by BurlyBrand; 12-16-2012 at 7:04 PM.

FXD1369

without a doubt...I like where this is going

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by FXD1369 View Post
    without a doubt...I like where this is going
    Thanks man. We're pretty excited about this build too.

Get Adobe Flash player

Nice action shot! Looking forward to this one taking off.

Get Adobe Flash player

saw the tires and got stoked!

Get Adobe Flash player

Subscribed!

Get Adobe Flash player

Looks promising, the continentals do grip asphalt well, just wear out fast. but for looks they are fuckin tits.

billdozer

Yes, please!

Get Adobe Flash player

Appreciate the positive response. We're moving faster now. Scrambler really wants a traditional rear hoop to make it look right and we had already decide the rear fender would not be the gloppy stock unit. One of our guys is a big Cafe enthusiast and remembered Dime City Cycles in Florida makes a pre-bent hoop. These guys cary a shit-ton of builder style parts, we'll be hitting them up in the future, too.

http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintag...50diytail.html

Photobucket

Scored a 5" wide ribbed fender via Ebay that turned out to be from Monster Metalcraftsman. Nice piece for a decent price, too.

Photobucket

Get Adobe Flash player

Rear end went together nicely. We took the Dime City hoop out of the box, cleaned some oxidization off the ends, bent it 1/4" wider at the open end and tacked it on. Perfecto. Love when a plan comes together.

For the record, we are not pro welder/fab guys, so save your MIG/TIG/superglue advice for another thread.

Photobucket

Bike is last year of the carb, so no bulky ECM, but ignition module and whatever the hell is attached to the rear lighting harness will have to be relocated. Help us understand what that box does and we'll send you a free Burly Beanie. Ribbed fender should open up a void between it and the oil tank to hide stuff in.

Photobucket
    Last edited by BurlyBrand; 12-12-2012 at 2:17 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

the big box on the right in the picture?? its your ignition controller or ECM, sends the info from the motor revolutions to the coil controlling or timing when the spark plugs go on/off (and probably other things), gonna have to keep that im afraid, if its the small box on the bottom without a better pic, id guess its a flasher relay, unless your not running blinkers youll need that too
    Last edited by tattoo2303; 12-12-2012 at 3:00 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

thats your ignition module sir!

Edit: dang somebody beat me to it... maybe relocate it to the tail section? if its gonna be enclosed..

Get Adobe Flash player

More info on the ECM:
    As the engine increases in RPM the spark timing needs to become more advanced. On old bikes you had to set the timing manually (usually by turning the left grip sort of like the throttle). Then they came out with mechanical timing advance where spinning weights would move the points system and advance the spark. Now they use an ECM where a magnet on the crank shaft sends a signal to that box. The box calculates how fast the engine is spinning and sends juice to the coil when it thinks the spark should fire. With an ECM there are a lot fewer moving parts than with a points system and mechanical advance so they tend to be more reliable. I usually unplug the ECM before welding on the bike so I don't fry it.

I look forward to your build. Last winter I built a Suzuki tracker with scrambler style pipes:

I've gotten lots of good feedback about the pipes. I'd like to do something similar on a magneto ironhead soon.
    Last edited by pablo83; 12-12-2012 at 3:10 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

OK guys, we know what the ignition module is and does. Question here is the box that is inline on the tailight/signal harness.

pablo83 - Good advice on removal of the ignition module before welding.

itsteeravfool - see above

tattoo2303 - Not a flasher relay as lights flash without it.

Quote Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
    As the engine increases in RPM the spark timing needs to become more advanced. On old bikes you had to set the timing manually (usually by turning the left grip sort of like the throttle). Then they came out with mechanical timing advance where spinning weights would move the points system and advance the spark. Now they use an ECM where a magnet on the crank shaft sends a signal to that box. The box calculates how fast the engine is spinning and sends juice to the coil when it thinks the spark should fire. With an ECM there are a lot fewer moving parts than with a points system and mechanical advance so they tend o be more reliable. I usually unplug the ECM before welding on the bike so I don't fry it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Yeh, that's a great looking build!

Quote Originally Posted by pablo83 View Post
    As the engine increases in RPM the spark timing needs to become more advanced. On old bikes you had to set the timing manually (usually by turning the left grip sort of like the throttle). Then they came out with mechanical timing advance where spinning weights would move the points system and advance the spark. Now they use an ECM where a magnet on the crank shaft sends a signal to that box. The box calculates how fast the engine is spinning and sends juice to the coil when it thinks the spark should fire. With an ECM there are a lot fewer moving parts than with a points system and mechanical advance so they tend to be more reliable. I usually unplug the ECM before welding on the bike so I don't fry it.

I look forward to your build. Last winter I built a Japanese tracker with scrambler style pipes:

I've gotten lots of good feedback about the pipes. I'd like to do something similar on a magneto ironhead soon.

Get Adobe Flash player

Quote Originally Posted by BurlyBrand View Post
    OK guys, we know what the ignition module is and does. Question here is the box that is inline on the tailight/signal harness.
    Blinker relay?

[EDIT] Wait, does it have like 12 wires going into it? That's some kind of light control module, it controls blinker timing and automatic cancelation. It shuts off the headlight while starting the engine, etc. I'm really not sure why it's all necessary. I think even the horn plugs into it. No idea why. Do the hi beams flash when you hit the horn???

[2nd EDIT] Sorry, the horn doesn't plug into it, but I still have no idea why another black box was added just for the lights.
    Last edited by pablo83; 12-12-2012 at 3:25 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

my next guess would be starter relay than, but i could have sworn they had a little tab to mount it molded to it

*edit i thought for sure the colors of those wires going to it are turn signal marker wires, do the left and right turn signals work (flash) independantly with this unplugged still??

any better pics?? the underside and the side with the schematic and/or part #s would help
    Last edited by tattoo2303; 12-12-2012 at 3:20 PM.

Get Adobe Flash player

We eliminated it and everything works fine.

Share This