Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • boogieman
    • Aug 2009

Pinstriping and how to get started!

Let me start by saying, I am no master, just somebody who enjoys messing with pinstriping. I am not that good, but get better each time I do it.

Pinstriping is a cheap and fun hobby. It takes very little to start, but it is one of those things that takes a long time to MASTER. Even if you are like me and not that great, it's a really fun stress reliever. It's fun for anyone and you really can see your skill build as you go.

If you are interested, I'll tell ya what to do:

Buy a striping brush (macs are good for around $10-15). I prefer an excalibur ($18 or so) I like them because the bristles are shorter. A 00 or 000 works good for most stuff. Buy a couple cans of one shot paint (about $10-16 depending on color). Get a can of low odor mineral spirits at the hardware store ($5 or something).

Also, if you look on the one shot paint web site, they have a dealer locator (here). Chances are, if they sell one shot they will have pinstripe brushes too. Mack has a dealer locater (here). Excalibur site: (here)

Get a piece of glass and do this: http://sketchkult.com//phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=473

Read up, but don't let all the information overload you, remember, it's basically putting paint on a brush and dragging it across a surface, it's not rocket science.

This is the best thread for beginners: http://www.sketchkult.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1110

here: http://www.sketchkult.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=21

and here: http://sketchkult.ning.com/forum/cat...istForCategory

YouTube has some videos, or you can buy how to videos or books.

Really, if you have any inclination to do it, do it! It's great fun and you can get started for $30 or so.

Feel free to post pics or more info! Hope this helps!

If you like the thread don't forget to rate it (yellow box at top of post). Thanks!
    Last edited by boogieman; 08-10-2009, 4:21 PM.
  • Magickman
    • Aug 2009

Excellent, to the point write up.

My question: Do you draw or have any current talent in drawing straight lines?

I am no artist, about the only thing I can draw is a beer.

Comment

• mjasen10
      • Aug 2009

thanks for the write up man, i just posted on another thread earlier today that i was wanting to learn how to do this. i think ya gave me the kick in the ass to give it a go!

Comment

• superflysnow
        • Aug 2009

rad thanks for posting! I have always wanted to put together a little kit and this is a great place to start!

Comment

• kingdeadbeat
          • Aug 2009

Lets see some of your lines man!!! You posted the dang thread, and won't give us any eye candy??? NOT FAIR!!! I want to see what kinda lines cats are layin these days!!! lollmaorofl!!!

Comment

• boogieman
            • Aug 2009

Originally posted by kingdeadbeat
            Lets see some of your lines man!!! You posted the dang thread, and won't give us any eye candy??? NOT FAIR!!! I want to see what kinda lines cats are layin these days!!! lollmaorofl!!!
            I'll see if I have any around... I did a tank but it is at my father in law's house. Mostly I mess around on junk stuff still or a piece of glass that gets scraped off with a razor blade. Anyway, I'll see if I can find anything.

Oh yeah, my lines are straight for about a foot or so, and my stuff looks real good from 30 ft away! HAHA!

Comment

• JessicaWarren
              • Aug 2009

Thanks for the tips

Comment

• TroyFab
                • Aug 2009

Thanks for posting this!

Comment

• trichardson21
                  • Aug 2009

Sweet startup tips. All the pinstriping ive done is with a sharpie, and its never even, this will be my wintertime side project. I guess poor pinstriping with a sharpie is just ... shitstriping?

Comment

• got556
                    • Jul 2011

I know I'm bringing this back from the dead, but this is a really informative thread. Thank you.

Comment

• drseiss
                      • Jun 2011

Glass is easily one of the hardest things to stripe on, and that's why it's great to practice on. It's got a tricky feel to it, much more slippery than painted metal. Two suggestions if you want to get good: Practice straight lines. They are by far the hardest thing to do. And the other thing would be to study the composition of the designs done by the masters. Look at enough good work and you'll see certain elements that repeat themselves, like the lack of open ended lines, the flow of curves, and the importance of negative space.

Comment

• SuperP
                        • Mar 2010

Good write-up. There is also alot of inspiration on Pinheadlounge.com. If you are going to use glass, another idea is to buy some of those cheap decals, that look like pinstriping (ebay, autozone) and put then on the back of the glass. Use them to trace and practice. Also, you can buy 1/8in masking tape or vynil pinstripe, put in on the glass in different patterns and curves. For glass, I would not recommend thining the 1shot. Right out of the can will be thick enough because the glass is so slick. Look for other surfaces to stripe on also, you all will see how the paint reacts differently and how to thin it.

Great little hobby.

Comment

• vnygra
                          • Aug 2010

Two of the best tips I ever got as far as designs,
                          Always do the left side first, (doing right first seems natural)

And never end a line by itself!

Comment

• ltuck
                            • Feb 2011

Ive gotta get back at it. I quit striping when i started building my bike about a year ago. As already mentioned start on the left unless youre left handed, then youll wipe all your paint away...oh, and open ended lines suck!

Comment

• drseiss
                              • Jun 2011

Good to see there's others that hate open ended lines. That shit looks weak.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;