CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search

Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Sportster puking oil from Breather Bolts / line

hey guys, need some help. my 1200s is puking oil from the breather bolts at the top of the heads. i bought it with the knowledge it leaked so i put on the horseshoe breather kit, where a hose runs to the ground to route the excess oil off the air cleaner etc. it doesnt cut it, too much oil comes out. i top up oil as much as gas.

some guys have suggested umbrella valves maybe being put in upside down. not sure if that s possible, but id like to get some other opinions before i rip it apart. i have the manual, and it seems like that is the only way oil could get out thru there, thanks for your time and help. appreciate it.

Get Adobe Flash player

Where are you running your oil level at? If you are topping to the full mark you are over filling it. Try running it down about half way between the high and low mark. Make sure you check it hot, takes about 30 miles to get oil to operating temp.

Get Adobe Flash player

if it is leaking alot from the breather hose that goes to the ground, that would sound like a leaky ball check valve in the pump. you replaced the oil lines? maybe you got the return and vent line backwards?

Get Adobe Flash player

hey man, thanks for helping me out, i ve tried runnin the oil high, low and in between, it doesnt make a difference, still comes out. but it does get worse as the bike warms up, and the oil gets hot.

Get Adobe Flash player

thanks motorlou for getting back to me. that s a good point about the oil lines, ill have to look into that. and the pump for that matter too. i didnt replace oil lines, i just put the breather kit on. guy i bought it from would have his pipe wrap go up in flames and didnt know why, got the bike for a great price because of it.

can i replace just the ball valve, or should i just replace the whole pump?
    thanks again.

Get Adobe Flash player

should be able to replace just the check ball in the pump. just unscrew the oil sending unit off the front of the pump, replace the ball and the spring. pretty straight forwards.

Get Adobe Flash player

cool, ill definitely give that a try. my only concern is in the repair manual, the diagram for the oil pump doesnt have a check ball anywhere, but the oil filter mount does, is that the ball valve you are referring to? and sorry if this sounds ignorant, but how will that stop oil from coming out of the breather hose???is it just sending too much oil up to the top end?

Get Adobe Flash player

Default Might be..

Twice ive had that issues, and both times it was the oil pump. Either wrong size/capacity or just a failed part.

Just a thought.

Share This