Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jkrause
    • Apr 2012

KZ 750 build

I picked up this project (1980 KZ 750 LTD) last summer from an older gentleman who'd been slowly piecing this together on the cheap. He had a donor bike as well, so the parts were a bit mixed and matched. I had a 550 LTD back in the day...actually bought it new off the showroom floor and was very familiar with the style. Nice bike, but I quickly outgrew the power and came to hate the riding position...I wanted something a little more aggressive. Not like my CBR 929 aggressive, just a daily fun ride.
    Fast forward a few decades and this deal kinda fell in my lap, thanks to my good friend Ian. He's building a flat-tracker KZ 750 twin and had bought/swapped some parts with this guy in the past.
    So here we are picking up a running bike. It did run, but not exactly what we had in mind on the way down. Good thing we have the ability to see potential.
    Here's another shot once we got it back. Pretty rough, but mostly intact.
    Attached Files
  • Jetblack
    • Apr 2024

Looking forward to seeing what you have in mind for it; I bet those turned out pipes sound nice.

Comment

• jkrause
      • Apr 2012

re: KZ 750 build

Again...fast forward 14+ months to yesterday's build progress. My wife and I had a beautiful baby boy in the mean time, so my build/work time on the bike has been somewhat limited.
      The goods:
      stretched rear swingarm 4"
      hardtail rear end
      slammed front forks 2.5"
      increased front spring pre-load to stiffen front end
      Vee Rubber dual sport tires
      custom h-bar, flat with 2" pull-back
      wicked front headlight (another score from Ian)
      cleaned, 'blasted, primered, and painted wheels, frame, engine, etc.
      custom seat pan (still need to trim down a bit)
      leaf spring from Ford F150 Lightening (Ian again) mounted under seatpan (pretty stiff, but has just enough "give" to take the edge off)

That's it for now. Been wrestling with this bike image in my head for a year now. Glad to see it finally coming together.
      Will keep updating as major hurtles are knocked out.
      Would appreciate input on the build as well as things to keep in mind/look out for as I move forward.
      Attached Files

Comment

• hallin222
        • Mar 2011

Wait, you're telling us you took that killer rear rack OFF this bike?

;-)

Comment

• jkrause
          • Apr 2012

Hellz yeah!

Comment

• BillySlicks
            • Sep 2009

Bad idea to hard tail off the swing arm....
            People need to stop doing that, its short term thinking. At the very least I hope you went in and put brand spanking new swing arm bushings in there. Other wise when they wear out (and they will) you're going to have a hell of a time.
            Thats only 1 of the many reasons its a bad idea.....

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
            Working...
            ;