CHOP CULT HOME
Email Password
Search
  1. #1
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    101

    Default 11th Hour Industries KZ250 Build

    My last build: '80 Ironhead Sportster Chop
    Last Japanese Build: KZ400 Bobber
    My Blog:11th Hour Industries
    Facebook:11thHourIndustries

    I'm a good portion of the way through a pretty quick build on an old bike I've had kicking around for some time now and figured I'd share the progress.

    Here's how it started;
    Untitled


    This was my first motorcycle, one that I received from my mother who was the original owner. The bike had carb problems ever since I could remember as a small child. I got it on the road, learned how to ride, and threw it back in the shed.

    A few years later I decided to dig it out and make it road-worthy again. I'll be going for something bratstyle/tracker-ish. Even though it's a only 250 I figured I'd keep it around just in case I ever needed a second bike for a lady friend or if my main bike broke down. First order of business was to strip off all the 250 parts and move over as many stock KZ400 parts as possible. I was able to use the tank, front end (with some pretty extensive modification to the bearing cups), wheels, and rear shocks. The bike feels a little studier now and the addition of disk brakes is a much needed upgrade.

    IMG_1105

    I ran into some clearance issues with the rear wheel. The factory swingarm is too narrow for the tire and caused me to be unable to adjust the chain. I decided to add a bit of stretch to the swingarm to settle the bike a bit. Don't worry, it looks good!

    IMG_1708

    The swingarm was extended using a solid piece of bar that I turned down on my lathe, then machined to slide into the tube and be plug welded. It should be the strongest part on the bike.

    Here's the new stance...

    IMG_1711

  2. #2
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Next order of business was to machine a tach delete plug on the engine. As with most of the bikes I've built, I won't be running any gauges.

    IMG_1792

    I decided on this bike I wanted to run rearsets instead of mids, so I started machining some mounts and pivots instead of buying a set ($$$).

    IMG_1832

    IMG_1840

  3. #3
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Stripped the gas tank down and found a lovely dent;

    IMG_1860

    Once that was all straightened out (no pun intended), I laid down a few coats of baby blue paint.

    IMG_2001

    Here's what it looks like on the bike;

    IMG_2018

  4. #4
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Picked up a Yoshimura pipe made for a DR-Z400. Shortened it by a few inches, repacked, and welded up to the pipe from the original exhaust.

    IMG_2133

  5. #5
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    810

    Default

    can you post a video of it running..... interested to hear what it sounds like

  6. #6
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by deathmetaldan View Post
    can you post a video of it running..... interested to hear what it sounds like
    Ask and you shall receive.


  7. #7
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    810

    Default

    sounds good for a 250... thanks for posting that!

  8. #8
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Finished my seat.

    IMG_2023

    Originally an RD250 cover. I narrowed the original seat pan and reshaped the foam to have a flatter profile. I still have a little work to do on the sides to clean it up and make it flow smoother, but the idea has turned out the way I wanted so far.

    IMG_2024

    I ended up swapping out the drag bars. I wasn't too fond of the way the bike felt setup like this. I fabbed up some real low rise bars that I'm much happier with. The center was made out of a solid piece of round stock. I did this to give the strongest possible clamping surface. I've has issues with other 7/8" bars ovalizing once tightened all the way.

    IMG_2201

  9. #9
    Senior Member

    Content on this page requires a newer version of Adobe Flash Player.

    Get Adobe Flash player


    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    101

    Default

    Getting closer.

    IMG_8557

Share This



Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Log in

Log in