Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bonesxl1100
    • Oct 2010

Change in career? What would you do?

Well, im 33 yo. Wife and 1 year old daughter. Im trained as an electronic techinician but really havent used much of that education for much of my last couple jobs and as a result, dont remember much of my education and /or obsolete without more. I currently work as an office equipment repair technician. (Copiers, printers, faxes, etc...) and before that, as a field tech for a cable company. I dont make great money and really see no future in the copier business for me.

Anyway, ive been thinking of a change. Problem is there isnt much work in my area (poconos). Its mainly geared towards tourism and real estate. Both of which arent doing the greatest. If you were my age with a family, what would you guys look to do as a change? Part of me wants to pick up and move but im not sure the wife is keen on that. Her father owns a bar and one day it may be hers. But thats not definite.
  • Bandersnatch
    • Dec 2011

Sprinkler Fitters Union
    Supposedly ALL buildings are supposed to retrofitted for them just like switching to the more energy efficient florescent ballasts(T8?).
    Lots of OLD buildings.

May be a good Idea to get in sooner than later.
    ALSO,
    HAZMAT cleanup pays well also.

Both jobs may get a little boom given the recent storm in your area.

Comment

• Evidence
      • Sep 2012

Ive been trying to get my wife to move away from where we live for years now, but she insists on being close to her family, which isnt really a bad thing but the opportunities here are not half as good as most other major cities. With that being said, ive learned that your career is what you make of it no matter where you are. I worked union construction for about 4 years and did what I always told myself I would never do, and thats get wrapped up in a job I hate just because it pays well. I kept wanting to quit but the 30 bucks an hour kept me working...after the economy tanked I got laid off like 90% of the people in this city, and decided that I had my fill and wanted to do something I liked. I went and got a non union construction job to keep food on the table while I went back to school, and after taking multiple 20 credit hour semesters and working full time I graduated with a degree in Drafting and Design. I had a job working for a Mechanical Engineering firm before I even graduated, and I really enjoy what I do now even though the pay isnt $30/hr anymore lol. After I worked here a couple months, they started having me tinker with our database because the company isnt big enough for a full time database guy, and im young and "tech savvy" (so they say). I loved messing with that stuff, so now im about to finish up another degree in Computer Based Info Systems which will probably double my pay. Im also hoping to get a Masters in Computer Science eventually...

Anyways, moral of the story is that you can do whatever you want to do, its just a pain in the ass sometimes. If I were you, I would go pursue a job that made me happy and made a decent living or my family. It seems impossible sometimes, but a little determination goes a long way. The one thing I learned early on, is that theres nothing worse than waking up to a job every day that you either hate, or feel like is going nowhere.

Comment

• Evidence
        • Sep 2012

Originally posted by Bandersnatch
        Sprinkler Fitters Union
        Supposedly ALL buildings are supposed to retrofitted for them just like switching to the more energy efficient florescent ballasts(T8?).
        Lots of OLD buildings.

May be a good Idea to get in sooner than later.
        ALSO,
        HAZMAT cleanup pays well also.

Both jobs may get a little boom given the recent storm in your area.
        The only problem with union and any other type of construction, is that its so up and down....if you dont mind your bank account being feast or famine, then by all means go for it.

Comment

• JamesM
          • Jul 2012

Does your wife work?

I'd talk with her about your future together, where you want to end up living the rest of your lives, her working while you go to school or vise versa. Get some plans together, and go from there.

What do you want to do work/career wise?

Comment

• bonesxl1100
            • Oct 2010

Wife bar tends at her fathers bar. And as far as what id like to do? Thats the issue. I feel like I'm a teenager again just getting out of high school not knowing what i wanna do. I took the electronics path and ended up where I'm at due to numerous reasons. Mostly lay offs. Wasn't really where I thought id be at this point. Im basically just brainstorming right now and throwing it out there. See what others think that i haven't.

Comment

• derekd403
              • Jan 2012

Originally posted by bonesxl1100
              Wife bar tends at her fathers bar. And as far as what id like to do? Thats the issue. I feel like I'm a teenager again just getting out of high school not knowing what i wanna do. I took the electronics path and ended up where I'm at due to numerous reasons. Mostly lay offs. Wasn't really where I thought id be at this point. Im basically just brainstorming right now and throwing it out there. See what others think that i haven't.
              That is the problem....got to figure out what you WANT to do first. I tried computer stuff at first since I'm so young and figured "hey why not...I'm ALWAYS on the computer!" That didn't turn out. Then realized I actually liked working in restaurants and loved cooking, packed up stuff at computer school and went to school for culinary. After 2 jobs out of school at $10/hr in Michigan, realized that wasn't cutting it either. I'm 23 and Fell into a a Union Chef job at a hospital with benefits, retirement, etc...plus the $20/hr and paid holidays kept the dream alive. Just have to find that right niche that fits you and what makes you happy

Comment

• Nottso
                • Apr 2012

Before breaking my everything, I made my living as a Union Steamfitter, known in some places as a Pipefitter, and referred to simply as a Fitter from here forward. A guy in my apprentice class didn't even know what a Fitter was before he got in. He'd been on unemployment and was required to apply for so many jobs per week, so he applied for apprenticeships with every construction union in the Milwaukee area.

He was real honest and said he applied for all these jobs that he never thought he could get just so he could ride out unemployment for a while and fuck off. But if he DID happen to get one, his entire life would be pretty well set. Well, needless to say, he got one. He turned out to be a damned good Fitter too.

Union apprenticeships are so thorough that anyone with pretty good smarts, mechanical aptitude, and the willingness to work your motherfucking balls off for relatively low pay the first couple of years can become a qualified tradesman. Good pay and good benefits for life. You'll never get rich, but you can live pretty well.

ALL of you young bucks that are unemployed or underemployed should apply for every apprenticeship in your respective geographical areas. It costs you nothing. You have nothing to lose, and quite a bit to gain. In my very humble opinion.

Comment

• Nottso
                  • Apr 2012

Another advantage to becoming a union tradesman is that you can work anywhere in the country; and if you decide to try something else, such as your own business, if it doesn't work out you've always got your trade to fall back on.

Comment

• bonesxl1100
                    • Oct 2010

Probably the biggest mistake i made was quitting my job as a cable guy. It was a union job. Id be making about 27/hr right now with full benefits and vacation, sick, personal days which is as good as it gets in my area. Problem was at the time i hated the people i worked for. I used to get all worked up too. Now that im a bit older, I have more tolerance for that sort of shit. As far as union jobs, theyre virtually non existent around here.

Anyway, as a few had said, i definitely need to figure out what i want more and talk it over with the OL. I think a lot of it has to do with me wanting to move too. Im really tired of the east coast weather.

Comment

• Evidence
                      • Sep 2012

Im sure I will catch some shit for this, and I apologize if I offend anyone (not trying to piss on anyone's boots) but I would highly advise against union right now. I was union for 5 years or so, turned out journeyman and then got laid off, because if the economy drops even a little bit companies only want to employ apprentices. As far as I can tell (at least around the Midwest) unions are on their way out. Too many locals have priced themselves out of work and a lot of tradesman are feeling the hit from it. Not to mention, there are a lot of districts out there who invested most of their members pension money, and when the economy tanked they lost a ton of it. I know a countless number of guys who are have or are trying to retire, and the union has no money to pay out to them. The old guy who taught me probably 80% of what I know is retired, in bad health, and the union cut his retirement way down to where he had to go back to work on the side so he had enough money to live.

Again, not trying to piss anyone off because I know that union trades are a good way to make a living and I respect any man who can make it in the construction business, but you really have to be careful when you're letting a private entity like that keep track of your retirement and other finances. Not to mention so many members throw around the "brotherhood" bullshit and then slit your throat the minute you walk away.

For a little perspective, the union im talking about is the Carpenters union in Kansas City, which was one of the strongest unions in the country which has recently been reduced to rubble. My dad was union (10 years in San Jose and 20 years in KC) and he got laid off after the big economy crash to start his own company. Last week he had a couple Business Agents come out to one of his jobs to talk to his guys (who were former journeyman in the union)...the BAs asked the guys if they ever thought of going union, to which they responded "we were union journeyman, got any work for us?"...the BAs told them "nope, we are only looking for apprentices"

If thats brotherhood, then I want no part of it.

Comment

• interstatejoe
                        • Jul 2011

I do sales for a major plumbing supply house & what Evidence said about feast or famine seems dead on...at least for many of my larger commercial & mechanical/industrial customers.

Comment

• uniquentoned
                          • Apr 2024

Growing up in florida,in a low income poor ass place,with no mention of college for me.I have had to change careers multiple times.its all about adapting.understand that,just because there are no jobs in an area,doesnt mean there is no work.its very easy to start a career in something you like to do,like motorcycles.its just a matter of building something that you can build over n over again.set a fair price.and as long as its a fair price for what it is,the biker community will support you.

I do make things for bikes,but it is just a hobby.not a career.there are thousands of things you can do for work.there are tons of people that have started ebay businesses,taking things that are priced too low,and bumping them up a small percentage,and having them drop shipped.

Im not saying that that is the way to go.what im really only mentioning,is.whatever you set your mind on,you can achieve.no matter what it is.its about the want,the will,and the effort you put into it.like I tell my wife,you only get what you put in.the more you put positive attitude towards me,the more stuff I will do,like take out the trash,paint the walls,stain the deck etc.the more negative you put into me,the more ill tell u to kiss my ass and do it yourself.

Comment

• muttblbc
                            • Oct 2010

im still waiting for my career as a jigolo to take off...

Comment

• bonesxl1100
                              • Oct 2010

Originally posted by muttblbc
                              im still waiting for my career as a jigolo to take off...
                              I thought about that but i still dont know what a Portuguese breakfast is.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                              Working...
                              ;