Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • grandpab
    • Feb 2010

Go to your state employment development department and take a test to determine what you would like to do. Those tests can point out things that you don't even know about yourself. After you figure out what it is you want to do get an entry level job i that field. It won't pay well but if it turns out that you like it that is what is important. In almost all cases it takes about 4 years to learn a new job and turn it into a paying career, plan on that.

Comment

• JMFNC
      • May 2011

What I would 'like' to do? Screenprinting, high school English teacher, damn near anything but be a roofer anymore. What am I likely to end up doing? Start my own company even though that is the last fucking thing I ever want to do. Feast or famine in construction is true and has been since I started 16 years ago. I'm over it

Comment

• bonesxl1100
        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by grandpab
        Go to your state employment development department and take a test to determine what you would like to do. Those tests can point out things that you don't even know about yourself. After you figure out what it is you want to do get an entry level job i that field. It won't pay well but if it turns out that you like it that is what is important. In almost all cases it takes about 4 years to learn a new job and turn it into a paying career, plan on that.
        Good idea. I'll look into that.

Comment

• uniquentoned
          • Apr 2024

4 years? You may as well work at bking and go back to college. I've trained people and had them up n running with a new 75k$ + a year career in 36hrs

Comment

• woodwickbill
            • Feb 2012

Let's hear it, Mang! Indoor Weed Farmer?

Originally posted by uniquentoned
            4 years? You may as well work at bking and go back to college. I've trained people and had them up n running with a new 75k$ + a year career in 36hrs

Comment

• uniquentoned
              • Apr 2024

It's a totally legit business. I charge 8k$ for everything to get started . All info and materials. And I fly to their location and train for 3 days . After those 3 days you can turn 500$ a day into 1000$ in 24 hours. It's a self taught thing. It's always dependable and reliable and it is a market that only values more note daily, never decreases .

Comment

• Tirehead
                • Apr 2024

Ya gotta try to stay with something related to where your heart is. Most of my family was/is card carrying union members in either papermaking or millwrights for the paper industry in the midwest. Over the years,I seen the ups and downs of the union shops ranging from guys w a 6th grade education sending kids to good colleges to lifetimes of work pissed away in pension schemes. A good deal of the mills are gone,The work and trades have went out of the country,along w the scale they pay out. I lucked out,I was a stoner fuck up who wanted to play in bands and didnt give a shit about paper.I worked at used car lots,repair shops etc while guys the same age were at 14-16hr right out of school (huge money at the time) while I made shit...But I liked what I did. Now many of those dudes are reeling from the loss of those jobs and the companies-labor unions who were ultimately helpless when it all ended..Now I make same money in a non union gig with decent security and privately funded retirement. This was NOT to bash unions..they fed and clothed most everyone in my part of the country for many years...Im just sayin..try to stay w what you like..Not necessarily what hall you work out of

Comment

• noah
                  • Sep 2009

i joined the electricians union 3 years ago and it is great .we have full employment and will for quite some time.if you work hard and show up with a good attitude you will never be laid off.

Comment

• afraziaaaa
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by bonesxl1100
                    Well, im 33 yo. Wife and 1 year old daughter. Im trained as an electronic techinician but really havent used much of that education for much of my last couple jobs and as a result, dont remember much of my education and /or obsolete without more. I currently work as an office equipment repair technician. (Copiers, printers, faxes, etc...) and before that, as a field tech for a cable company. I dont make great money and really see no future in the copier business for me.

Anyway, ive been thinking of a change. Problem is there isnt much work in my area (poconos). Its mainly geared towards tourism and real estate. Both of which arent doing the greatest. If you were my age with a family, what would you guys look to do as a change? Part of me wants to pick up and move but im not sure the wife is keen on that. Her father owns a bar and one day it may be hers. But thats not definite.
                    I work in the Semiconductor industry. My company makes multi-mode power amplifiers and RF chips for smartphones and other communications platforms. I am also a trained Electronics Tech. I was never interested in getting into this industry, but it kind of just happened. So far it has worked out really well for me. I am not rich by any means, but it pays well and I like my job.

I work with a guy who lives in the Poconos, Tobyhanna to be exact. My company is located in Central NJ. He commutes two hours each way everyday, but that is his perogative.

Some guys I work with came over from other industries like oil/gas, auto manufacturing, other guys like me came out of the military into this industry. Military experience is usually a plus in this industry for these types of jobs. It is also a compressed schedule. I work 12hr days, 3 on 4 off, 4 on 3 off.

Comment

• bonesxl1100
                      • Oct 2010

For who do you work for exactly if you dont mind me asking? They hiring? I bet we probably have worked with the same people at one point or another. I used to work in mt olive nj for lucent. They moved our jobs to china. Back in 2002. Man i miss that job. I use to build cdma modcells for wireless comminications. I guess its a related field as yours.
                      Last edited by bonesxl1100; 11-09-2012, 6:26 AM.

Comment

• dazegoneby
                        • Apr 2024

Originally posted by bonesxl1100
                        I thought about that but i still dont know what a Portuguese breakfast is.
                        well it invlolves Linguisa,,,(portugease sausage)and alot of towles to wipe up afterwards,,,

Comment

• billdozer
                          • Apr 2024

I have a good friend who hit the reset button at around age 40 and went to truck driving school. Not glamorous, and it's not like he's passionate about driving big rigs, but it has been steady and is needed everywhere so he could relocate once he had experience. Not for everybody, but it worked for him and is easy to get into.

Comment

• nunez8853
                            • Apr 2024

You know what brother I was at a crossroads so to speak and decided on getting in to being cnc machinist it pays pretty decent 18 bucks on average then as you get experience it goes up. I am working on my mechanical engineering degree but thats still 4 years out till i get paid so as it stands I need work now that pays good. Im tired of working min wage its hard to live off that. besides both of those go hand in hand. and a huge plus side is that you can make your own parts if you want seems like a win win to me, give it a thought man look into it. learn to read blue prints learn the lathe, learn the cnc, its all good stuff to know man. just my 2cents

Comment

• backwithabang
                              • May 2011

Ok. This is terrible but honest and true

You want a good job? One that you do little to nothing all day and get free/cheap health and decent pay? Flip your next bike and get to know you local politics. Contact them about a campaign donation and in return that's how you get those state/county/authority jobs. Everything is still dirty. There is no applications. Just a waiting list. Trust me on this one

Comment

• aaronc
                                • Apr 2024

I'm working out at the mill making great money and benefits but I've always had the urge to drive a truck long distance ever since I was little. I grew up watching smokey and the bandit,bj and th bear,whiteline fever,convoy and duel, I guess that left a impression.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;