Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ember
    • May 2010

You want something with good job security and always growing, the medical field is where I am looking. Particularly an RN. You can work 3 days a week and have the rest off, basically make your own schedule for the most part in many areas. If you like to travel, they have traveling RN's.
    Plus you get bennies and pay is decent $50-70k a year depending on area.

Comment

• Walleye
      • Dec 2011

Originally posted by aaronc
      I'm working out at the mill making great money and benefits but I've always had the urge to drive a truck long distance ever since I was little. I grew up watching smokey and the bandit,bj and th bear,whiteline fever,convoy and duel, I guess that left a impression.

The money and fun of long haul trucking is a thing of the past,......

With most carriers you would be lucky to make 35 grand a year working 70 hours a week, And you might get home once a month for 2 days,...

I'll stick to my local driving gig going home every night after work,...

Comment

• JMFNC
        • May 2011

My father in law makes about 80k a year driving trucks but he's only home 2 days a week. For 3 years he didn't even bother having a place but my mother in law required the situation changed. The way he talks, I don't know if anyone else makes that much though

Comment

• Comingapart
          • Jul 2010

Any industrial installations in your area?

I worked as a an office equipment tech for almost 10 years before I'd had enough. I'm now working in the industrial maintenance field as an Electromechanical and Instrumentation tech. With your technical background, you could take a course in PLC's or Instrumentation, or M&E or millwright, if the mechanical aspect is more your thing and have your pick of jobs.

As an industry it's in pretty good shape right now and entry level positions routinely start in the $45k to 80K range and get considerably higher with a bit of experience. Hell, even a bulb swapper can start out at $90k-$100k if you wanna do the offshore thing.

The idea of moving from a office to an industrial setting didn't really appeal to me, but i get less dirty than I did slinging toner and no more customer attitude to deal with!

Comment

• Tirehead
            • Apr 2024

mmmm...buh buh buh bennies! Havent heard that term in a while!

Comment

• Bandersnatch
              • Dec 2011

ALL of the warehouses and factories around where I work are ALWAYS looking for "Maintenance"
              Mechanical and especially

ELECTRICIANS!
              If you learn PLCs.....fuhgeddaboudit.
              Job security.
              We have trouble finding them cuz they're all employed.

Comment

• thermo1976
                • May 2010

I can't say this to enough people. Wastewater treatment...
                Population grows, permits consistantly updating, technology constantly expanding. Can be either govt' or private.
                Wastewater treatment plants are everywhere.

Comment

• bonesxl1100
                  • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Comingapart
                  Any industrial installations in your area?

I worked as a an office equipment tech for almost 10 years before I'd had enough. I'm now working in the industrial maintenance field as an Electromechanical and Instrumentation tech. With your technical background, you could take a course in PLC's or Instrumentation, or M&E or millwright, if the mechanical aspect is more your thing and have your pick of jobs.

As an industry it's in pretty good shape right now and entry level positions routinely start in the $45k to 80K range and get considerably higher with a bit of experience. Hell, even a bulb swapper can start out at $90k-$100k if you wanna do the offshore thing.

The idea of moving from a office to an industrial setting didn't really appeal to me, but i get less dirty than I did slinging toner and no more customer attitude to deal with!

This sounds legit. Im always seeing jobs for technicians with PLC experience. So you came from what Im doing now with copiers and shit? What did you end up doing to move on? More schooling? What classes did you take? All im finding for plc training is online shit.
                  Last edited by bonesxl1100; 11-11-2012, 7:47 PM.

Comment

• bmjwright
                    • Mar 2010

With your electrical and office equipment repair experience, I'd look into transitioning that experience into medical field in medical equipment repairs and setup.

Comment

• ARBY
                      • Apr 2024

Originally posted by uniquentoned
                      It's a totally legit business. I charge 8k$ for everything to get started . All info and materials. And I fly to their location and train for 3 days . After those 3 days you can turn 500$ a day into 1000$ in 24 hours. It's a self taught thing. It's always dependable and reliable and it is a market that only values more note daily, never decreases .
                      So what kind of a business is it already???

Comment

• bonesxl1100
                        • Oct 2010

Originally posted by bmjwright
                        With your electrical and office equipment repair experience, I'd look into transitioning that experience into medical field in medical equipment repairs and setup.
                        Ive actually thought about looking into this. There's a hospital 2 miles from me. I've been meaning to head over there and find out what company services their medical equipment. Then checking em out.

Comment

• ampzz
                          • Aug 2009

Few years ago I got tired of busting my ass as a diesel mechanic. Turned my love of all things cars in to an ability to appraise and buy them for a local car dealership; been happy ever since.

Comment

• Evidence
                            • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ARBY
                            So what kind of a business is it already???
                            Im wondering the same thing...sounds kinda shifty to me lol.

Comment

• myjolopy
                              • Oct 2012

Was a roofer for almost 16 years, when the Econaomy crashed and my body finally said enuff we moved to Utah from Cali, after a year of just getting by got a job at an Offroad shop and after 2 years got to be Sales manager been here almost 4 yrs now. Pay aint great but ive got insurance through work and drive a capable wheeler. Guess its all about what you wanna do.

Comment

• TraumaJunkie
                                • Feb 2012

Originally posted by bonesxl1100
                                . I used to work in mt olive nj for lucent. They moved our jobs to china. Back in 2002. Man i miss that job. I use to build cdma modcells for wireless comminications. I guess its a related field as yours.
                                I live in Allentown,PA. I know that Lucent/Agere shipping out the jobs really messed up our area. Felt like Bethlehem Steel closing all over again.
                                Luckily I have a pretty good gig going as a Firefighter-Paramedic. People keep doing stupid shit = job security for me.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                                Working...
                                ;