Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JuhaP
    • Jan 2010

Chopped T100R Daytona from Finland

Here's my little project, Triumph T100R Daytona 1971.

This bike was a mess when I bought it. Not running and looking pretty beat up. But the price was reasonable, paperwork was ok and it was a bit more rare Daytona with twin carbs and healthier cams.

I don't know what idiot built the engine before me, but no real gaskets were used, only red silicone sealant (this shit was in the oil passages too). Barrels/pistons were so worn out it had to be bored to the last oversize. Transmission only had working 1st & 2nd gears. Two valve guides were so loose you could move them with your fingers and all valves were more or less shot. The carbs were clogged up AND leaking.

I completely rebuilt the engine during winter 2008-2009 and now it finally works, pulls really strong, especially after 4000rpm. Amals are working too after little tweaking and fine tuning, now it starts on the first kick like a Triumph is supposed to (?). Twin amals - double the trouble, twice the fun .

The hardtail has 4" of stretch and 2,5" of drop (from David Bird, great item!). Front has been lowered 3/4" but I'm planning to drop it another inch.

Biltwell seat + mount, frisco mounted sportster tank with dual petcocks moved to the back, original filler hole welded and a small filler cap added to the front of the tank. Rattle can paint, gold metallic (gold is for pimps and Cadillacs only, or so I heard pendejo?!).

Oil tank is from Four Aces (thanks to Wes for good service).

Window bars, white GT grips and a yellow Cibie foglight from seventies (with 60w bulb, bright as f*ck ). Rear fender is 5" wide ribbed (for her pleasure), homemade plate holder + old Ford light.

I built the pipes myself and mufflers are old Alphabet's from seventies, NOS in original packages and cost me only 70 euros for the pair.

Front and rear wheels are HD drop centers (16/21"), laced to stock hubs with Buchanan stainless steel spokes. Front tire is 80/90-21 Pirelli offroad tire and rear is 5.00x16" Firestone replica. The rear tire was an absolute bitch, it just didn't want to seat on the rim. I blew up three inner tubes (over 110 psi and still didn't want to jump on the bead). I tried soapy water, grease, putting a strap around the tire and hammering it... Well finally I got the tire on. Mounting the front tire took 3 minutes.

I've done everything myself with some welding help from my brother.

What else? It weights almost nothing and is super easy to ride. Sounds good too...
  • JuhaP
    • Jan 2010

Couple more pictures how the bike looked when I bought it.

Comment

• JuhaP
      • Jan 2010

After many hours of work, here we have a hardtail roller. I've done some modifications after this pic, the front end was lowered 1 inches and I changed the five inch seats springs to three inch springs.

Rear tire is a vintage Firestone and front tire Pirelli MT21 rallycross :-)

Comment

• JuhaP
        • Jan 2010

"Finished product" from late last summer.

Comment

• JuhaP
          • Jan 2010

I'm currently doing little modifications for next summer.

- New shifter lever instead of the current diy-welded-pos (bought, installed)
          - Top tripple tree with removable risers (bought)
          - New "SS" risers (bought)
          - New Amal carbs (bought and installed)
          - Gotta take the primary apart and fix a gear oil leak to the chain (done)
          - Lower the front one more inch (done, added spacers + cut the springs)
          - New front tire (current one is unbearable on wet tarmac -> constant water spray)
          - Run wiring inside the frame
          - Add a brake light switch
          - Headlight's gonna change to a 5 3/4" Bates
          - New mini ape bars (chumps or whatever) + new levers
          - Add an external oil filter

and MAYBE: a green flaked tank + single side high pipes with no mufflers. We'll see.
          Last edited by JuhaP; 01-31-2010, 9:18 AM.

Comment

• Sawbones
            • Nov 2009

Tervetuloa!

Nice bike, I'm diggin the look, you certainly put a lot of work into it. I say go with the green tank, but I may be biased.

Comment

• gravelveins
              • Aug 2009

nice, keep it up.

Comment

• Shoots
                • Jan 2010

Nice can't wait to get my 500 going.

Comment

• CreepyJack13
                  • Apr 2024

Originally posted by Shoots
                  Nice can't wait to get my 500 going.
                  Same here with mine...

Comment

• JuhaP
                    • Jan 2010

Thanks for the comments. I know you "shouldnt" put a green tank on a chopper, but I thought it was H-D's only?

Comment

• Sawbones
                      • Nov 2009

Like I said man, take a look at my bike and see if you think a green tank can look good on a Harley chopper:
                      Last edited by Sawbones; 02-01-2010, 8:28 AM.

Comment

• JuhaP
                        • Jan 2010

Ok, summer 2010 update is finished, here are some new pictures. I changed the bars (mini apes), tank (peanut), built new pipes (left side "scrambler"), changed the headlight and did hundred other small mods.

Comment

• billdozer
                          • Apr 2024

I liked the old version, but always think a Wassell looks better on a Triumph than a Sporty tank. Bars look good too! Nice evolution.

Comment

• JuhaP
                            • Jan 2010

Yep, sporty tank looks good, the problem is that EVERYONE has them... and I happened to find an original Wassell tank for reasonable price and it had virtually no rust inside, so I had to buy it.

The bars are from some moped by the way. I think it could be old Tunturi (Finnish brand)...

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
                            Working...
                            ;