1972 Suzuki TS250 Bobber Project (Needs lost of advice)

Collapse

Desktop Ad Forum Top

Collapse

Mobile ad top forum

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Architecterre
    • Sep 2012

1972 Suzuki TS250 Bobber Project (Needs lost of advice)

Hey all,

been lurking the forum for quite some time and felt it was time to make a thread and introduce myself/my build. I am a 22 year old student from Toronto, Ontario so I have very limited knowledge for bike building. This will be my second project bike as I already have a '76 KZ400 that is in the process of being cafe'd. My girlfriend wasn't too impressed with the solo/cowl combo I put on that bike so I purchased this bike to build for her. To this point the bike has been converted to a rolling hardtail. I have purchased a wassell peanut tank, ribbed solo seat, chrome clip-ons (33mm), chrome headlight bucket (needs custom mount), new clutch basket/lever, added a chrome front fender/stay from a kz400 (to be used as a rear fender), taillight (needs custom mount for the rear axel or frame), a new oil tank/battery tray combo (the typical cylinder oil tank shape) and new bolts for the engine. The inspiration for my build is saras triumph:

but as of right now it looks like:

Any/all advice for this build is appreciated, I know dirtbike to bobber conversions are rare but there are a couple I've seen on this forum so I'm not first to attempt it. Some specific question I have however are:

1) The bike needs a new exhaust setup. As a two-stroke dirtbike engine it has the prototypical ding-ding high pitch sound whereas I would prefer a lower registration for the exhaust. Are there other 250cc exhaust systems from other bikes that would work with little modification? Should I instead look towards getting a custom exhaust mocked up? What would a reasonable ballpark be for the cost of a custom setup like that?

2) I plan on getting the peanut tank custom painted. I have contacted a couple painters on this forum for quotes but I have not limited my search. If anyone has had good dealings with reasonably priced painters I would appreciate their contact information.

3) I haven't purchased springs yet for the seat, are there any differences between scissor/traditional coiled springs other than purely aesthetics that I should consider?

Thanks, I'll update this thread with progress / more questions so please favourite it. Also, I can post my kz400 build if anyone's interested in following that? I figured it's more of a dotheton type build.

Adam
    Last edited by Architecterre; 10-11-2012, 12:40 PM.
  • Architecterre
    • Sep 2012

Guess this post was a little premature or maybe this isn't the proper forum for this type of build? If anyone has answers to the few questions I posted I'd be really appreciative - especially the exhaust q's (stock exhaust is terrible looking).

Best,

Adam

Comment

• TravisE
      • Sep 2012

I don't think you'll get the ping out of a stroker with a different exhaust. Learn to love it. There's something cool about a harsh-loud 2 stroke just gettin' it.

Comment

300 mobile ad bottom forum

Collapse
      Working...
      ;